1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas now a restricted free agent, no qualifying offer for Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, but I'm talking relatively speaking.

There is still a low DMo contract and a high DMo contract, and the QO...just like Bledsoe. I was agreeing that maybe DMo's agents thinks waiting out Morey like Bledsoe did will help, then threatening to sign the QO in the last week. But the difference is Bledsoe was getting offers from the Suns at nearly what he signed for already, and Minn came in to confirm his price.

2. sabesque

sabesque Member

Makes sense. Same with Tristan Thompson last year.

However wasn't dmo saying he wanted to have a resolution next week?

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let us be honest.

He is very likely a journeyman in the making, his agent and him should embrace what is coming.

Injuries to a young big man could derail his career, why not start somewhere else?

I get that the Rockets are still one of his believers, I mean, he is still a promising talent, relatively speaking.

It should not just be about money, but where he can get consistent minutes, more in the 20-25 minutes per game area.

The Rockets will probably match, but I do not think it is the best for Dmo at this point.

He won't get much PT.

4. basketballholic

DMo is not "playing" the qualifying offer. He's either signing a sizeable deal here or he's getting huge money to go elsewhere. But he's not taking the qualifying offer. I didn't have to see the Nene signing to know that. However the Nene signing confirmed it.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So any reports on that "huge money" you are talking about?

Couple of suitors including the Rox, that does not spell huge money. :p

6. heypartner

Keep in mind, if DMo signs the QO, it will hurt is trade value, because then he's a UFA to be. Very good change we can't trade him for full value unless he's under a 3yr contract.

That's called Asset Management...protecting the value for trades.

Signing the QO is a legitimate "F1ck you, Morey" threat.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don't see a scenario where DMo gets an offer that forces the Rockets to let him walk.

this is an ideal opportunity for a SnT. The back issue has put a cap on his potential contract, but it's hard to see him getting full minutes with Capela, Anderson and Nene in the front court.

Rockets can SnT him to a team and get an asset or player back that better fits our situation.

8. heypartner

That's a more reasonable statement. You're just saying that DMo has no intention to sign the QO, and you believe that whether we signed Nene or not.

You're not the only one who believes that DMo will get big money. DaDakota and Bobbythegreat have been saying it months. Join the club.

9. heypartner

Keep in mind, DMo has to agree to any SnT.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They should define what big money is this year.

Other scrubs are getting ridiculous or exponentially a crazy number of money.

Big money this year is like a bag of chips.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'm aware. I don't think that would be an issue, since he's probably going to the highest bidder, and they may be offering an opportunity to start (which he will not have here).

If DMo wants out of Houston, there's only 2 ways...a team offers a massive contract with a player option and trade kicker, or he gets a SnT. I find the first option VERY unlikely, as that has huge potential to backfire with his health issues.

But if a team with redundant players or headed in a new direction likes DMo, I could see something getting done.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not sure why people think he can get big money while the Pistons (proabably SVG too) outright rejected him after the trade, him probably not passing the physical completely.

That has actually lowered his trade value and any value significantly.

Why should a team offer him a player option and a trade kicker?

Because he can bring his post game, above average help D and passing 50 games in a season?

They could grab another young Euro.

13. heypartner

Morey's potential problem with finding SnT suitors is they could just say, "Well, you know this back issue makes it risky. Daryl...since I like you, and appreciate you bringing this trade offer to my attention,,,,tell you what I'm going to do, you sign him first, and we'll talk again at the trade deadline. And since that will give Dunn half a season to learn from Rubio, maybe I'll give you some sweetener in the deal."

Refusing a SnT to possibly trade later after watching DMo more also means Morey will be in a better position to negotiate DMo down in price (claiming no other teams are interested), which benefits the other GM as well.

14. heypartner

I'm just saying it limits the possible choices, especially if he will only accept a trade if it gives him a better chance to start. And Morey then has to agree, which can limit the choices even more.

You're making it sound like it is more than just a very few teams.

15. basketballholic

We wanted him to sign qualifying offer. He said no. We went ahead and signed Nene, knowing qualifying offer is dead. He's most likely going to be signed and traded. Hopefully we pull out Rubio and not PHX's trash.

16. heypartner

Agree, not sure why a SnT assumes that means he gets the most money. Morey has a number in mind. He's just as apt to pay that number as he is to trade at that price, too. Just like he's apt to sign him now, and trade him at the deadline. One trade happens at the time of signing, the other happens 6 months from now ... but both at the same price.

I'm not saying a SnT can't potentially get DMo more money, just saying I fail to see why people are assuming that it will.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is interesting to see what he would get on the international market.

I mean regarding Sergio Llull and his contract in Madrid, not wanting to come over, it should be at least comfortable.

I am trying to put forward the bigger picture here, because Europe is the fallback option if Donatas' NBA career fails.

18. heypartner

This is hogwash. There is no connection to Nene and DMo.

Morey got Nene to agree in principal on the condition that we sign him before the Olympics. That's what happened. The wait was due to Nanuaku, not DMo. Feel free to backpedal and say Morey could have made Nene wait and keep pleading with DMo, "would you please sign for less than your cap hold so we get more money to pay someone else...pretty please".

The QO is still a tool for DMo's agent to use (NOT Morey), since it seriously hurts DMo's value in trade...which is almost as bad as losing him for nothing.

It's mindboggling how you have convinced yourself that the QO is something Morey can coerce DMo into signing at our convenience. No way an agent wastes a tool like that, when he can just force Morey to sign Nene or lose him.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good points.

1. Injury issues are to prioritize here.

2. His current value in the NBA, with other teams.

Sign and Trade is alright, the Rox might get decent value back.

I cannot see either why DMo would get much more money in that scenario.

I think his agent is obviously eyeing a potential starting spot for his client.

Money is not the most important issue, at least it should not be.

His longevity in the NBA should be of more concern.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

What would be the "PHX trash" offer?