1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas now a restricted free agent, no qualifying offer for Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Or, more likely, it validates what we already knew from the trade recission debacle - he is damaged goods that nobody else wants if there's any kind of risk involved.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Paging bima ...

This is my question regarding your post .. Can the rockets offer him anything higher than the QO now ? I know we can go over the cap to MATCH and offer but I would hunk that the rox couldn't OFFER an amount that would put them over the cap . And now that hardens deal is done there's not a lot of room .

3. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Yes. The answer is yes.

4. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Is there even reported interest of a team, yet? Seeming like he's not getting much value. There's 20 teams in the NBA with less cap than the Rox now

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure what's taking so long, I'm sure some ****ty team like the Nets will offer him a **** ton.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think at this point there are 3 or 4 teams able to offer him a double digit contract and with not enough depth in the frontcourt to take a risk signing him.

The Nets are certainly one of those 3/4 teams (with the Lakers, Pacers and Wolves or maybe the Suns...), but i have to think they would have offered him a contract at this point if they were interested...now it seems they're looking to sign Bennett...

7. aqd

aqd Member

Sullinger for 6M to Toronto. Can it mean that Nets will try get DMo?

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The Rockets can offer DMo anything up to a max contract.

9. crash5179

I've said several times that I don't think DMo is looking. I think he and the Rockets have already agreed in principle on him staying. I think the Rockets need to sign Nanu before they can sign Nene or DMo.

They still have just enough cap space to sign Nanu to a minimum contract with out exceeding the cap. That will allow them the ability to sign him to a 3 yr contract and prevent the possibility of another team signing him to a Gilbert Arenas provision contract.

The second either DMo or Nene sign they will officially be over the cap. Once that happens they would need to use a min salary exception to sign Nanu which would leave them suseptible to being signed using the Gilbert Arenis Provision after his rookie contract.

Once they sign Nanu, I think both Nene & DMo will be signed.

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

^^

I hope this is the case

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Nanu looks like an undrafted free agent. I know it's only summer league, but Jesus.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Even if we do offer a minimum to Nanu for 3yrs using cap room, why would he sign that? just for guaranteed money? Weren't the Bev, Parsons, Harrell, etc contracts for more than minimum. Those are easier to convince someone to sign. I doubt few 2nd rounders sign a 3yr minimum.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I will be glade when both parties either come up with an agreement or some other team give him an offer worth jumping on. Good grief everyone on here is trying their darnest to figure out what's the hold up.

My question is why haven't the Rockets resigned him yet. Last season it didn't take them "THAT" to resign Brewer and Beverley. So if Dmo was "THAT" important to them, well they would've been signed this man.

Remember take care of your own

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

But, I just don't get that. Playing basketball is how DMo makes a living. This could be his first big payday. It just doesn't make sense that DMo wouldn't be trying to get the best deal possible. Especially since he's coming off an injury. I doubt DMo is refusing to answer the phone.

It also doesn't make sense that the Rockets would make a deal with DMo when they really don't know what the market is for DMo.

I think the Rockets are content to just wait and see what offers DMo gets, but no offers have been made at this point. I think maybe the Detroit fiasco has scared other teams off.

Oh well, I guess we will know something before too long.

15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Yes...the kid looks lost...

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Very quiet on the DMo front

Not many offers?

17. malakas

malakas Member

perhaps his injury is really serious and no team will touch it including even the Nets.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Teams don't want him as their "MAIN PF"? Not even Houston? I'm shocked.

19. crash5179

Parsons was about a million but the Rockets had 4 years control of him. Harrell I think had a million a season but I think Caanon only had a little over ,5 million.

To be honest, I have no clue what Nanu would except, but I don't remember a 2nd round contract that Morey didn't get a third year from.

But, it's nothing more than a silly wild ass theory. Nothing else makes sense to me as to why they haven't signed Nene yet since they have already agreed on a contract.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

They won't sign Nene until the D-Mo situation is resolved. If they don't retain D-Mo for whatever reason (e.g., Nets sign him to a max offer sheet), that's $5.72M of cap room that'd come open to use. They don't want Nene's $2.9M to inadvertently eat into that cap room.