1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas (believe the hype)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hectoro, Jun 23, 2011.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Biyombo was the closest thing to it.

But either way, we have the "assets" to make a trade for an existing player, but I guess it just never materialized.

I am disappointed that our biggest hole was left unaddressed.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

is it weird that i want to call him sam perkins because he's a lefty big man who can step out and shoot it?

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Considering the number of games he played at PF, its safe to say that Robert Horry was a SF for the Houston Rockets. It really doesnt matter what he played after he moved on from the Rockets...Horry was not a stretch 4 for Houston. He was a 3.

4. Marteen

Marteen Member

He reminds me a bit of Mehmet Okur. 7 footer who can shoot from the outside.

5. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Too bad he probably won't get a chance to play with him (I'm being sincere with that comment by the way).

No way this team stays as it is with the amount of PF's on the roster. A trade has to be forthcoming, and, unless Morey is getting some serious bites for Patterson, it will most likely be Scola.

Actually, you know what, it probably will be Patterson along with a few of the 2009 Lottery menagerie for a mid level contributor with a slightly too large contract...so...forget I said anything.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I think Motie will pan out to be a stretch 4 somewhere between Bargnani and Okur. Still that's a steal considering how we got him.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Okur is a stiff compared to this guy, but yeah, an Eastern European 7 footer that can drain a 3 ball... not too many of those around (sarcasm).

8. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

bismack went fairly early.

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

But... He WAS a stretch 4 for the Rockets. He won a title as a stretch 4 for the Rockets! And then went on to play another decade as a stretch 4!

10. blackistan

blackistan Member

could be a bargnani type uh oh

11. zoids

zoids Member

Way to create another Yao. Everyone says he's too weak and forced him to add weight, ended up his foot and legs couldn't withstand the new total weight and injured often.

Another thing, Yao was much more agile and can do the dream move in his rookie year and even can shoot 3s just like this kid. He ended up become less versatile and turned into a fade away jump shooting center on baseline or just slowly backing in for a hook shot... if he didn't get double/triple team by that time and ball got stolen away.

I hate to see this kid go through the same thing again. Let the kid be, keep his versatile skills (keep polishing them) and just teach him to defend better and rebound better (rebound is all about position... look at Rodman). I think he might be what we missed since the Dream era if he got coached right.

12. throwedyung14

throwedyung14 Contributing Member

Most interested in his passing - if he can play in the high post. Seems like a willing and skilled passer like chuckwagon.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

this kid is more than that. He runs like a gazelle, can pass like a guard and has legit post game. He's also 20 years old! this isn't just some outside shooting SF.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

LOLWUT!? Biyombo is as close to Mutumbo as Hayes is to Dwight Howard. Which is to say, they're really, really far apart.

The closest thing to Mutumbo in the "draft + Rockets roster" is Thabeet. I'd rather waste a year of developmental time on Thabeet than draft another unknown big and waste a draft pick in the process.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

you had me at hello

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Don't tease dude. If he develops into a Dirk we have something to build around.

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Didn't we hear even better things about Darko Milicic?

The thing with these young guys who haven't fully developed is the unknown. Realistically, we don't really know how these guys will do in a few years, and it would be borderline a miracle if all these guys pan out like some are clamoring.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't understand these comments by you. You're acting like we're a player or two away from contention and our roster is set in stone. Our foremost need, right now, is talent. And until we acquire sufficient talent, the roster is probably going to be changing so rapidly that our holes today can change at any time. I don't think there is a single player on this roster who is not up for grabs. Who knows - we could end up sending all three of our point guards to team x for a shot blocking center tomorrow and then our gaping hole is at point guard. You can't worry about positional needs until you have a core that is secure to build around. We're far from having that. Hopefully, one of these guys will become a part of that.

1 person likes this.
  19. That Boi Oz

That Boi Oz Member

Great trade to get this guy.

Ceiling: Pau Gasol
    Floor: Young Brad Miller

The knock on the guy is that he doesnt have the work ethic, but which Eurpoean player that is in the NBA didnt have that label put on him at some point? I can remeber them saying similar things about Dirk and Pau now both them boys got rings. He may not be the franchise but will be a very good with potential to be a great player for the Rockets.

20. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

I think McHale, with his championship experience, can teach this kid to be a great player. Im not too worried about his size because he can always bulk up once he's in the league (look at Yao and Dwight).

On a side note, why is it that most bigs in the NBA cannot shoot threes? I mean COME ON! What a way to stretch the floor! Look at Yao!