1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejūnas: "I want to play, rather than sit on the bench"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houstonas, Jan 24, 2013.

1. neoxyphus

neoxyphus Member

2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I agree that not playing him right now is in D-Nuts best interest! I genuinely believe
    that they have him in lock-down mode in fear that there might be more interest for
    him rather than PPat/Morris at the trade deadline.

Remember how well our team did in the summer league with Lamb/Royce/Jones/D-Nuts,
    I know it was ONLY the summer leage but I think all our rookies made a big impression
    on Morey. The only reason Lamb is not here is because they were able to parlay him for
    "The Beard". I stongly believe that the Rockets want to keep D-Nuts/Jones and even
    Royce with all his drama to compliment Harden/Parsons/Lin in their quest for a championship!

This is not the year we contend for a championship, You know it, I know it, Morey knows it,
    everybody knows it....it's a "Fine-Tune Year". They need one more KEY player to go
    alongside Harden to make this a legitimate team in the hunt for a championship. This team
    has played well above what the majority of us expected and I think when D-Nuts is brought
    into the rotation we will start to see a vast impovement in our spacing. He will command
    attention from the 3point line which is precisely what we need to open up the lanes for
    Harden/Lin and company!

3. neoxyphus

neoxyphus Member

Haha calling the star on his bs, I think coaches are def going to give 2pat's time to dmo now...For telling it like it is, 2pat is gunna sit on the bench.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's possible that the Royce White situation is impacting the other rookie PFs. White wants to say being sent to DL is retaliatory. But, if the Rockets can say Jones and DMo are being treated the same way, White has no argument.

Or, it could just be that his play in practice doesn't give McHale enough confidence that he can do any better than Patterson or Morris, even when they're sucking. Maybe DMo should look at himself at see where he's falling short. If he thinks he can get traded out of being too green to contribute, he's going to be disappointed.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I blame Harden for Motiejunas not playing.

6. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Why are the Rockets afraid of developing young talent? It always seems like we treat them poorly & kill their confidence. The ones rotting on the bench constantly feel they are not good enough. That will mold them into that mind-state.

Pisses me off

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

For whatever reason, I'm reading every single post in this thread with a Russian accent. In Soviet Russia, thread reads you!

8. CCM721

CCM721 Member

I'm pretty sure he means physically weak which isn't quantifiable. I've noticed it aswell, other Centers and PFs seem to toss him around when getting position for a rebound.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What difference does it make if he gets pushed around trying to rebound when PPat and Mook don't rebound regardless of strength?

10. BlueJazz

BlueJazz Member

Poor D-Mo....

This Kevin McHale guy is really pissing me off.

11. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

People are really taking this idolatry of Morey to a different level.
    So let me get this right, Morey is purposely letting us lose games by holding back his own rookies and their development, so that no other teams will attempt to steal them (players still under their rookie legal binding contracts).
    Well guess what, Mr Fine Tune, you are gonna fine tune yourself out of a superstar who rightfully believes your team is filled with scrubs, an incompetent coach, a cheap owner and a gm out of touch with reality who lives and basks in the glory of stats he created himself

12. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

D-MO has 5 years of professional basketball experience so he does not fit in actual rookie category. A good example is beverley who instantly got playing time. D-mo might be questioning. Why a guy, who had very similar stats, sucess rate (whatever you call it) in Europe gets playing time while he continue sitting on bench. That was factor #1. Factor #2 - In every sports magasine, e-site, discussion he was selected to top5 of all summer league. But now he can see other players getting significant minutes on other teams who were far behind top5. #3 - 2pac and Morris does not show good results. #4 if 2pat, morris or smith are injured, he still does not get playing time as SF is pushed to PF position and Aldrich substitutes Asik. Aldrich?? Come on, he even is not in future plans. #5 He is described as a player who is absolutely horrible at D. guys, give us a proof. Did you notice that from 2 mins he receives?

In general. whatever the reasons are for D-mo not geting playing time, there are a lot of thins why she could be justifiably pissed-off. If after all-star he will not receive at least a chance (still didn't get one), don't be surprised if trade would be requested. A lot of you guys are just using Euro stereotypes: No D, clumsy, soft, whatever. Upside wins over downside in this situation. I recall a lot of guys laughing from pekovic saying he can't play basketball. Asik was considered soft when entered the league as well. Btw, speaking of asik. D-mo was and is considered much better than Asik here in Europe. And if Asik found his spot in NBA, I am pretty sure D-mo will find as well. Only questions is - will it be rockets?

13. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

For whatever reason, im reading this while sitting on a bench eating donut holes

14. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Yup.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Motiejūnas asked to be sent down to the D-League himself. His agent told media that the player would rather be in NBDL than on the bench.</p>&mdash; LithuaniaBasket (@LithuaniaBasket) <a href="https://twitter.com/LithuaniaBasket/status/294359285637476352">January 24, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>According to Motiejūnas' agent, Moti told Rockets: "I'm better off playing more [in the NBDL]. It is up to you to decide about the future."</p>&mdash; LithuaniaBasket (@LithuaniaBasket) <a href="https://twitter.com/LithuaniaBasket/status/294359704195461121">January 24, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Motiejūnas agent: "Donatas asked the coaches if he's doing something wrong, but they said everything was good and he'd get playing time."</p>&mdash; LithuaniaBasket (@LithuaniaBasket) <a href="https://twitter.com/LithuaniaBasket/status/294360021205139456">January 24, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Motiejūnas' agent: "However, half of the season's gone and he's still on the bench. We will see how things develop and if a trade happens."</p>&mdash; LithuaniaBasket (@LithuaniaBasket) <a href="https://twitter.com/LithuaniaBasket/status/294360274104905729">January 24, 2013</a></blockquote>

15. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have assumed that DMo just isn't showing McHale anything to inspire confidence. Surely, if here really killing it in practice, he would get time. Since he gets no time, he must not be killing it.

DMo must look in the mirror to solve the problem. But the article states that he is and has asked the coaches straight up what is he doing wrong. They tell him he is fine and doing well but then don't play him. If he is too weak, tell him. If his jumper is too inconsistent, tell him. If he is a horrible rebounder, tell him. Maybe they have and he just isn't listening well enough?

At this point, DMo needs to hit the DL with mean intentions. Try to average something ridiculous like 20 boards a game. Take the opportunity to make a clear statement. 20/10 isn't cutting it.

That said, like other DL projects, he will probably get his chance after the trade deadline. In fairness to Patterson and Morris, they are getting every chance to establish themselves. Once DMo gets in the rotation, the coaches may not plan to take him out. That beats inconsistent and unpredictable minutes amongst the 4.... I guess.

I think this kid needs burn against real NBA competition. He really has little else to prove against NBDL scrubs. Players get better by playing. He needs better competition.

#115 JeffB, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  16. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

The entire roster is "young talent". :rolleyes:

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9P7FfX1uIUc?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He performed pretty well in his first game back in the D-League.

I understand his frustrations but this is what happens when nearly your entire team is made up of 23 year olds. Someone is bound to be left out.

Patience is a virtue for rookies and clutchfaners... he'll get his chance soon enough.

18. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yeah but Lin didn't get any playing time either in NY till there was pretty much no choice. DmoSanity!

19. Nook

Nook Member

I don't really have a problem with what Motie said, or his request to go to the D-League. The Rockets like his competitive nature.

20. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is exactly why I want to see DMo in games. I am a strong proponent of giving valued projects 5-10 minutes of consistent time to apply their learning in game action. Drexler commented on this last year, saying he felt his consistent 15 minutes a game as a rookie was a key to his development.

Maybe I, we, overrate the guy. But I thought DMo was one of the higher upside guys whose development could prove key to the future of the franchise.