1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejūnas: "I want to play, rather than sit on the bench"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houstonas, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Just look at Marcus Morris. Just stuck with it DMo

2. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

You dont know what the team's plan is for them? They are rookies and obviously not ready to be in the rotation yet (regardless of our record). Harden is the only player that can create for himself and others. We have no post scorer in the rotation so it will be drives or 3 pt shots. That just the way this young team is RIGHT NOW.

Just because they won 5 games in a row against average teams last month, dont let that change your expectations all of a sudden. Building a contender takes time. Takes some growing pains and patience. This team will wow you from time to time and they will baffle you. Its part of the process. Lets see what moves are made at the deadline and this summer before we know what team we have. This will not be the final team make up so just watch them grow and dont EXPECT them to be a contender right now.

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

He is gonna run Harden into the dirt.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I highly disagree with your first sentence. The Rockets play as of late sucks. The PF position sucks. You can even criticism the coaching or playing if you want but the team has a superstar in his infancy with some very good players that are all under the age of very young and plenty of cap room for the coming off season.

Don't lose perspective, the Rockets were never supposed to be very good this season. They are playing like the youngest team in the NBA for the 1st time this season. Personally what has made it so hard on me is the fact that the team appears to have regressed but that is to be expected at some point during a very long season from a very young team.

I'm hoping that McHale will finally give TJones and or DMo some rotation minutes though.

5. quadsas

quadsas Rookie

I will just try to translate everything relevant and hopefully little better.

Donatas Motiejunas has been sent to D-League for the third time this season, although this time due to Donatas request - he wants to play and increase his visibility and market value.

Rockets' front office was surprised - not often do you see a player ask to be sent to D-League - even for a little while.

Donatas asked for it himself: "I want to play, and not sit on the bench. [...] It'd be better to play more there, and during my time there you can reconsider your options. [...] Maybe some news regarding trade will surface."

"Donatas had been asking coaches, whether he was doing something. They said everything was great, and he will be given some playing time. But time flies, we're in mid-season now, and Donatas is still on the bench."

DMo's agent is flying next month to meet the front office and coaches, which includes the Head Scout, Arturas Karnisovas.

It is possible that one of main themes will be possible trade involving Donatas.

"We will try to discuss various possibilities. But all the power is in their hands. We can ask, wish for something, but we aren't ones making decisions.

6. quadsas

quadsas Rookie

Morris sucks.

7. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

You mean the Greg Smith who spends his minutes backing up Asik at C?

I would have thought that their rotation minutes were taken away by Patterson and Marcus Morris. It makes sense though, those two are bonafide studs and should be taking up all 48 minutes of playing time every game.

1 person likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

lol! what "power" forward does that consistently in our roster?
    our "power" position was abused by nbdl'ers that the fuhrer's front office brought over the previous night!

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

In the limited amount of time that he has gotten and I have seen him play, he still seems weak. A little clumsy and gets easily pushed around for rebounds.

10. w00t

w00t Member

Multiple articles in Lithuania says:

He requested to be send to dleague HIMSELF, also asked to leave him in there for LONGER, not to recall after 1-2 games. Rockets were very surprised by this, cos no players usually does that :)

He also says that "it's better for him to play in there , then to sit on the bench, and so he wants to stay in there for longer and the Rockets will decide later what to do..."

11. crash5179

how do you know? Simple question.

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Because our PF rotation sucks balls.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Morey doesn't like trading low. That assumes, of course, that D-Mo can eventually develop into a rotation player. Nor will Les be eager to risk making the same mistake with Donuts that they made with Lin.

14. Arthurprescott2

Are we seriously judging DMo based on the 40-some minutes he's played in mostly garbage time? 40!

Dude isn't complaining about PT. He's saying he'd rather play in the D-League than just sit around while his skills rust. The team doesn't really get to practice this month because of the ridiculous schedule. Seems reasonable to at least go to the D-League to keep his skills sharp. Also, not unreasonable to want to be away from the team while it's going through this tough stretch. I imagine the locker room chemistry is toxic.

15. w00t

w00t Member

At least he doesn't have that stupid haircut anymore like in OP picture... That what was holding him down :)

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Don't get my statement wrong. I am not on the "fire McHale" bandwagon at all. I understand what a difficult task he has at hand.

He's attempting to make a winning team around a bunch of mismatched parts that within the next couple years may not all be there, excluding Harden. On top of that he's dealing with more than his share of youngsters that are still learning how to perform the team game while still hoaning their own skills. Something that would be difficult for any coach in the NBA.

But, I honestly don't see him being here 3-4 years from now. I believe that if Chris Finch doesn't pan out into what the Rockets brass expect him to be, they will go after a more polished head coach with winning experience (meaning playoffs and division winning prestige).

I like McHale for now, I personally just don't see him in the grand scheme of things in years to come. That's just me.

17. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

We want you to play too, rather than sit on the bench, Donuts.

18. crash5179

I don't know how you can tell that from 2 minutes of garbage time every 5th or 6th games. His per 36 stats are 18.5 PPG, 1.7 BPG and .500 FG% but personally I put little to no value in those stats because its all in garbage time so I don't see how you are grading him negatively in those same minutes?

19. Zalgiris

Zalgiris Member

DMO might look bad at training, but he also looked bad at training (so says ex coach) few years back in National Team, that he was kicked from after 2 games where he was a scoring leader. He does look better when it matters.
    Some of you think D-Mo is a bad rebounder? Morris averages 4.1 rebs in 22.3 minutes this season, Tyler Zeller from Cavs is averaging 6.1 in 27.6. Same guy who was dominated by D-Mo in Summer League. Zeller has more rebounds as a rookie than Morris in his second year.
    Some say Motiejunas looked clumsy and weak in those few seconds he got to play this season? Have you ever played basketball yourself? Coming of a bench where you spent last 2 hours sitting in a stable position is a very difficult task, you obviously can't perform at your best level in those cases. NBA coaches never keep their star players on bench for too long because they get "cold", you think the "cold" factor applies only to stars?
    In my opinion McHale is second worst coach in NBA, after D'Antony. And the rest of the staff... Are they blind?
    Also, good job for giving Scola away for no reason, that's almost as brilliant as Raptors' offer sheet to Landry Fields in order to **** up Knicks' chances at getting Nash.

My frustration with this franchise reached the limit where I had to create an account to say it out loud.

FIRE McHELL

20. crash5179

Yes but but PPat and Mook are the PF's in the rotation, DMo has not seen a single minute in the rotation so I ask again...

...How do you know he is not good enough to contribute?