1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejūnas: "I want to play, rather than sit on the bench"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houstonas, Jan 24, 2013.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm just pointing out that the expectations of Dmo are just insane. He's not a bust, yet.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The 3 point shot(wont be a big part of his game in the future), the mid-range(non-existent in the Rox offense), and the blown dunks (he's an obvious below the rim scorer) shouldn't really concern anyone.

These aren't the attributes that are going to keep him in the league anyways. What teams (and the Rockets) need more than anything is for a 7 footer to do 7 footer things.

When coming into the draft most peoples expectations were that he was incredibly skilled offensively, could stretch the floor, but was going to have issues with his defense, and his motivation & character were in question by some folks that watched him play growing up.

D-Mo tossed those expectations out the window this season both in a good way and a not so good way. His work ethic has been noted by numerous people in the organization as one of the hardest working players on the team, and his defense (despite having a few lapses every once in awhile) is miles improved from where it was, and some might even be willing to say that he's actually good on defense, especially from the PF spot.

What has dropped off, is the expectations that he would be this great offensive talent, and be more of a Toni Kukoc type of big. He's not that, and maybe never will be, but that doesn't mean what he is bringing regardless has any less value both now and in the future.

I still think D-Mo's body has yet to mature fully from a strength standpoint, and the improved coordination he should get to in the next few years should really help with the details that make you shake your head now (missing easy bunnies around the rim, and bad aim on his shot).

Even if D-Mo never fixes his shot, or gets better at finishing, he still has the ability to keep filling out, and be a very serviceable backup big. Something the Rockets are going to need desperately over the next few years behind Dwight and Jones when they lose Asik.

What they are getting now from a late 1st round pick big in year 2 is still very, very good value, and he still has a ton of upside to pursue on both ends.

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

What the hell is it with everyone trying to attack every single player after having a bad stretch of games? Dmo was having a great stretch of defense and offense for a while. Now that he's in a slump, everyone is hating on him?

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Donuts shows some sweet offensive moves, enough to keep you expecting more from the guy, but he's not consistent, not by any stretch of the imagination. Agree with some of you that his defense is more consistent, and better by leaps and bounds (IMO), and I think he's cut down on the fouls at least a little bit, but we just can't depend on his offense. And he should ice those attempts from downtown for a while. Like until next season, after a summer of working on his freakin' shot.

5. yummyhawtsauce

I agree, he's been in a horrific slump lately but for most of the year, he showed much improved low post foot work and moves, as well as an ability to draw charges, I think his defense is better than jones to be honest

6. J Hard

J Hard Member

He had a chance to ball out and show his potential when he had the chance to start a few games back. Shat himself instead :/

His inconsistency is a riddle, I'm going to hold off my conclusion of him until I see his game next year.

7. wadero

wadero Member

He looks lost alot. I was watching the game the other night and he was being told where to go in the game sets. Doesnt he practice? I think he is a bust.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

DMo will get minutes if he plays good defense, which he does most of the times on the floor. That's what most teams need from their bigs. The Rockets might trade him eventually, either opting for Jones as their future or for a star PF. But the dude will have a decent NBA career even if he does not improve a whole lot from now.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't you know how the internet works?

10. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

On this site a player is only as good as their last game... or in some cases their last play.

11. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Yes. DMo had an ideal situation going into last night. A lot of minutes, not to mention its an unimportant game to the Rox as they prep for playoffs. And they're playing against the Nuggets' bench because the starters are all injured.

Yet his performance last night was mehh

12. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I have no problem with dmos offensive game at all but the real problem is the guy is sooooo soft!!..he is the worst screen setter on the team..he literally makes no contact with the defensive player..Mchale needs to teach these big man how to set a proper screen..I'm sick touch screens

13. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I love Captain D-Mo's post game - that's why he's one of my favorite players - but I honestly don't know if he'll ever work out as a starter as a Rocket. Seems like Jones is soooooo much better on offense when plays aren't called for him. For D-Mo to get going offensively, it seems like he has to have ppl dump the ball into him in the post play after play. That's not going to happen with Harden and Dwight. It would be cool if D-Mo could consistently hit the 3, but I don't know if that will ever happen.

14. s.b713

s.b713 Member

TJones sucks on defense he got burned pretty bad in the NOLA game his offense though is much better than Dmo but thats not saying much hes inconsistent. Dmo on the other hand shows flashes on both sides of the floor but yet still inconsistent. We need to upgrade our 4th spot, i believe that's still our area of most concern IMO. I reallly really hope Tjones n Dmo prove me wrong this playoffs.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Both our PFs need to step up. Dmo has been a ghost.

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The probably won't but I'm hoping they can get better in their roles next season.

17. RocketStream

RocketStream Member

I'm all for giving Dmo more minutes along side Howard and Asik in the right situations. His size will be important for getting rebounds in the playoffs especially against the bigger and lengthier teams. He will just need to foul the ball harder in the playoffs.

18. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Dmo is sorry IMO...good 3 stringer, but as of right now doesnt deserve a rotation spot. Id much rather play Covington and Daniels with this team. We would be so much better.

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

He talks a good game, but he takes it to the rim like John Oates. Weak sauce.

20. eman

eman Contributing Member

He has regressed. I'm starting to wonder if he'll ever live up to his potential. He's shown flashes-- at times, he's looked like the GOAT with his low-post moves-- but his D is always a fraction of a second too late, and his threes... well, he really needs to work on that if he wants to make that part of his game. I'd give him another off season before giving up on him.