1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejūnas: "I want to play, rather than sit on the bench"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houstonas, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

I like the info and agree with the last question.

2. Raven

Raven Member

The ping pong BS would drive any player nuts. I don't blame him for being frustrated.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Morey - " Im sorry Motiejunas, your just going to have to wait "
    Dmo - " Why? I play so good in practice? Play better then other big men who play "
    Morey - " I know, just be patient. You will get playing time Feb 22nd, i promise "

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Could it be that the Rockets are keeping him benched to decrease the likelihood that another team demands he be included in a deadline deal?

5. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

McHale should learn from the other teams when things don't go well. The Wolves brought two rookies on 10-day contract up from the bench to take the game back from us. In the previous game that we lost to the Hornets, they brought their 11th player Mason from the bench to seized the game from us.

McHale has started to say that our players had hit a wall after losing 3 or 4 games in the last losing streak. Even though he didn't say that they hit the wall all together at the same time, he should have taken a chance and tried some one who hasn't been playing to find that new spark, when all of those in rotation were going nowhere.

Whether to save a game or to develop a rookie, he should have been playing DMo and TJones more.

6. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Rook's should take notice on how to handle your frustration. Donatas has handled himself very well.

7. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Maybe McHale was still thinking that he had the choices.

8. AXG

AXG Member

Morris didn't play much at all his rookie season and he worked his way into the rotation this year. I think DMo can expect the same thing. Unlike Morris, DMo has a better all-around game imo.

9. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Totally agreed.

10. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

One thing that has been puzzling me is that McHale has been a HOF power forward himself. Why can't he see that we are having problems at the PF position more? Otherwise he would have taught/trained/coached 2Pat and Morris how to play better at low post, or simply replaced them if he thinks that they don't have the potential so it's not worthy of his time.

11. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

We are the youngest team in the league that is in the middle of a bad streak. We are barely above .500, we have no solid 4, and D-Mo can't get any time at all.

12. Zalgiris

Zalgiris Member

D-Mo played 43,4 minutes in his career, lets say it was in one, not 14 games:
    22 points on .500 FG shooting, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals. Have in mind that he usually plays at the end minute of the game when they just bounce the ball for the last 20 seconds, so his 43 minutes actually were shorter action vise. A good scorer in a scoring team like Rockets dusting on a bench because of some idiotic local rule that rookies do not play in their rookie season. McFail must be scared of all these talented PFs that may become better than he was

13. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

11 pages....can.....not........read.........

one question - Can D-Mo play D? It's not all about offense.

I do agree that the shipping him TJo back and forth to/fro the DLeague so frequently is about as dumb as it gets.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That's not 100% why, but its part of the reasoning.

Reason #1 is the 2Pat/Morris situation.

The Rockets have made a significant investment(2 lottery picks, a few million dollars, and effort in part by the coaches and development staff) in 2Pat and Morris, and neither of those 2 big men have really had their chance before this season to get consistent playing time.

This first half of the season has been their chance to either sink or swim. Its a crucial evaluation time for the coaches and front office staff to decide whether their potential is fully realized and they need to move them, or if they are going to take the next step here in the future to be an all-star caliber player.

Obviously that has not happened in the first half of the season, and now its most likely time to move at least one of them to make room on the roster for T Jones and D-Mo.

However, it would be impossible to move them if they benched them now at this junction where we are just a couple weeks from the trade deadline.

So, its not that the coaches/FO are trying to "hide" D-Mo & Jones, as much as it is that they are highlighting Morris & 2Pat for the rest of the NBA to see what kind of players they are.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think he'd hold his own at least as well as Patterson or Morris most of the time. He'd have problems against the most physical PF's until he bulks up a bit but he's still a 7 footer and his sheer size along with his remarkable quickness would make scoring on him difficult. I think he'd have a problem with fouls though, at least for a while.

16. vince

vince Member

It might be that the Rockets are still trying to see if Patterson or Morris are going to be part of the future. They might be feeling both out to see who wins a part of the Rotation.

They know that Montiejunas is good and will be part of the future. And therefore, will plan on developing him as a starter.

But I do think that both Patterson and Morris are dueling it out for their Rockets future role. One will stay one will go!

17. Zalgiris

Zalgiris Member

What makes you think he's going to resign with the Rockets?

18. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

19. sinobball

sinobball Member

They need some proofreaders.

20. pacmania

pacmania Member

send Mchale to the D-League, he needs to develop his coaching skills. The NBA should have a C-League for coaches like Mchale.