1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donaghy reveals anti-Yao bias in 05 playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DesiDishoom, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Akim523

Akim523 Member

You do have a point, but to say those calls didnt effect their play is blind --- And your understanding of Donaghy's statment is borderline r****ded.

2. jaredg777

jaredg777 Contributing Member

Tinman says it's time to move on

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I've been watching the nba since 78 or so and the conspiracy thing is bs. Every organization send cut up of violations to the league office. Jackson told them to watch the moving picks and traveling because there is something there. The fouls or to's had little to do with the rockets losing in 05. Go and watch the 4th qt of game 4 when yao and tracy were bricking free throws. Go and watch game 7 and tell me about that. This board has become filled with cry babies and excuse makers. What was the excuse in 07 ?

4. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Favortism sucks.

Let's move on.

5. bloop

bloop Member

where's everyone want to "move on" to

is it the NFL? or FIFA?

cuz obviously the same ppl who engendered this **** are still in office in the NBA and an anti Yao bias is still obvious any time someone jumps into him and Yao gets called for just standing there

it wouldn't really make any sense to say "move on" when nothing's changed in the NBA and no steps have been taken by the league to stop this type of tampering with the playoffs, sooooooooo where we moving to?

6. VBG

VBG Member

blah blah, clutchsfans being really sore losers blah blah.

Get over it. Everyone wants an excuse. Donaghy is happily making millions keeping fanbases happy by revealing controversial info about the NBA.

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Old news, and we all knew that Davis Stern didn't want the rockets to advance.

8. blink

blink Contributing Member

yeah. i want ppl to remember always about this scandal. no one ever even talking about donaghy anymore and that's a shame.

9. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I think you have a point and you've made it clear, great.
    But to say those calls have nothing to do with them played poorly is simply not true, it's a matter of how much they effected their play --- I dont think its as much as people made it out to be, but theres certainly some --- 2 quick fouls you are on the bench, one moving screen called in the first 2 minutes you find your starting center playing passive on the defensive end for the rest of the qtr, its really that simple, they dont need to blow the whistle everytime, but make the call at the right time can be very very frustrating.

Facts are facts, it doesnt matter if you started watching NBA since 78.

10. leebigez

akim, when moses and the under .500 rockets played boston in 81, there were alot of head scratching plays, but they kept playing and won 2 games. In 86, sichting undercutting ralph and all the other stuff that went on were head scratchers also. Hell, in the conf finals, they beat the champs and ruined their repeat while akeem was in the dressing room. Point is, when you're good enough to win, you overcome things. The biggest point in all this is the nba has alot more to gain with yao in the finals vs him in at home and its not even close.

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Are you kidding me? Yao had decent stats in that series mainly due to size and luck. If you watched Yao, he played like he was still fresh off the boat. If it was the Yao from early 06 - 07 season, Rox would have won that series and a championship.

12. RyanB

RyanB Member

this is unfair
    though a great team can win a 7 games serie despite bad officiating,especially after leading 2-0

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I was one of the first and certainly the biggest "whiner" in this forum during that 2005 series. Yao was getting absolutely mauled on one end of the floor, and then getting benched in foul trouble for phantom moving picks - time and time again.

Lee you bring up good points, such as why would the league not want to promote Yao. I honestly don't have any answers for reasons, cause, etc. For all we know it could have been smth as random as too many bandwagon fans in Macau having bet on Houston to win. But it was obvious plain as day to us old-timer bball fans that Yao was getting jobbed in that series and JVG initially jumped up and cried foul, until Stern threatened to kick him out of the league.

Regarding the rebounding disparity, Boston could not hold onto defensive boards on a dozen possessions in the first half of that game b/c of over-the-back or push-in-the-back fouls that were simply not called. They 'let em play' for a little over 3 quarters, which most of us can agree was actually a refreshing change in officiating. And then they started calling it close - but only one side of the floor. That ended up in a 2 point game with under a minute to go. With a freethrow disparity of 37-17. LA only made 6 FG in that final quarter, but with the freethrow parade and Boston's starting center sitting on the bench in foul trouble, it didn't matter.

And this move on / let it go chant is akin to just sticking your head in the sand. Because the same phantom calls, no-calls, etc keeping happening in the most pivotal moments - see Gasol's travel with a minute to go the other night. The league has yet to give any sort of transparent reply to these concerns. On the contrary, there have only been 1) exorbitant fines for coaches & players and 2) threats of expulsion from the league with termination of pension plans. This sort of response reeks of an organization that has something to hide.

1 person likes this.
  14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I may believe what he said, but how can I trust anything that felonious b*stard has ever said?

This Thread should be locked IMO.

15. leebigez

Pippen- Jvg should have done what the mavs staff did and sent in video of what they thought were bad calls. Teams sends hundreds of cut ups to the league office so the league can maybe look for something not being enforced. I think a couple of those fouls were ticky tack,but we also know a moving screen in mostly the ball handlers fault. My beef with this issue is the rocket couldve won game 4 and put dallas in the grave,but their 2 best players missed multiple 4th qt free throws and game 7 they didnt even compete. The 93 rockets were getting some bad calls, but they play game 7 like champs before they were champs. The 05 team played game 7 like ho's and thats what tracy and yao turned out to be. 2 players wilting under pressure and incapable to lead the rockets when it matters most. They followed 05 ho moments with 07 vs a utah team with hardly any playoff experience at home for game 7. What happened? They got out toughed and pushed around.

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

You would think the NBA would want Yao to succeed since he's such a big icon in China, imagine how many viewers would watch those final games with all of china watching? How many more chamionship shirts and Yao jerseys wold be sold?

17. Sly Dogg

Sly Dogg Member

last time i checked only hoes call each other hoes. the bad ref calls pushed a game 7 knowing da rockets cant hold up. u say u a rocket fan. all u do is b**** and cry. man up. if u dont see that the refs had alot to do with the 05 playoffs. then u a dumbass r****d

18. Sly Dogg

Sly Dogg Member

tim -b****assness-donaghy...nba is crooked

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with you man. People are damn caught up with the refs now-a-days that they don't even enjoy the game anymore. As soon as they see that Crawford, Bevetta, etc is calling the game, they begin to psyche themselves into thinking the game is going to be influenced. I'm sick and tired of hearing people complain about refs. The Celtics have themselves to blame for losing game 7. They were committing obvious fouls plus they let themselves be punished on the glass. I love Sheed, but he loses all credibility to me when he complains about every call where he actually did commit a foul.

20. Sly Dogg

Sly Dogg Member

lee and pigtro are some dumbassess...donaghy is proof that this **** happens in the nba...wake da **** up