1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dolphins-Martin-Incognito story

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ferrari77, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Major

Major Member

But if someone were stalking you and threatening you nonstop, you'd probably be better off calling the cops instead of trying to hit him and thinking that's going to solve anything.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't know what this says about the current conditions of our society and the NFL, but he isn't a good enough player to do what he did and get a 10th season.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

And seeing how Martin is being treated
    I am sure that other players would be MORE THAN WILLING to admit to it.

That is how abuse works . . . .
    Esp in these situations

Funny thing . . Martin buys and gun and pumps 3 in this ass
    everyone, including these REAL MEN, would be whining that he took it too far

If in the middle of practive . . Martin Finds boy sipping water and beats him to death with his helmet . . . .everyone would be whining he took it too far.

In for a Penny
    In for a Pound.

Martin is to risk is Million dollar body in a fight with a mentally unbalanced dude
    This Ass kicks Martin in the knee . . .career over. . . but he handled it like a man

his family loses millions . . . His kids don't get the better life chances. . . but he handled it like a man

yea . . .. right . . . Sorry when you have MORE TO LOSE YOU CHOOSE DIFFERENTLY

Rocket River

4. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Posters claiming Martin shoulded have handled it like a man are what's wrong with our society.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

That's because I don't think (my opinion) anyone else let it go that far. I think Incognito ran across a guy who took the abuse like no one had before and he just kept pressing. Just my opinion. I don't think he has been threatening to kill other teammates and harrassing them to that degree. If he was then I'm sure stories will break on it.

Agreed. But you are probably better off not even letting it get to that point, which I doubt other players did.

6. Icehouse

I don't think it says anything that we didn't already know. The NFL is a very violent game that employs guys with all kinds of shady backgrounds if they can help the team win. Was that a secret? It's a very violent sport. I vividly recall the majority of this board cheering when Andre Johnson "violently" beat the crap out of Finnegan, right? My point is everyone knows what the NFL is about. It doesn't stop most of us from watching.

7. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

In a civilized society you shouldn't need to rely on force to address workplace conflicts. SMH

8. Anticope

Anticope Member

The only reason anyone is saying that Martin should be fighting back is because the word "bullying" is what is being consistently thrown around. Incognito has used racial slurs and threats of violence against Martin and his family and that, to me, is a case of harassment and Martin dealt with it in the most appropriate manner possible. Incognito has always shown signs of mental instability, so who knows what he is capable of. Seriously, in a day and age where everyone is worried about people being pushed over the edge and showing up one day with a gun to handle their problems, Martin acted in the most responsible way possible and is being criticized. Go figure.

1 person likes this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's also possible that Incognito just really disliked Martin more than anyone else he had come across before. You keep saying he "took it" and "let him". That smacks like you're putting responsibility for making Incognito stop on Martin. It's not Martin's job to make Incognito stop acting like an asshat. That's Incognito's job, and to a lesser extent the senior leadership in that organization, of which both failed. Putting the onus on Martin to make Incognito stop, especially on his lonesome, is encouraging a bad situation to get much worse.

Case in point of you putting the onus on Martin, and not Incognito. This is tantamount to blaming the victim. You speak with presumption that Martin never tried to avoid/diffuse this, and also that Incognito's behavior could be changed to begin with. Nobody would be "better off" if Martin had taken matters into his own hands. The revelation of Incognito being such a violent hateful nutbag is validation in itself that Martin was wise in not escalating the situation, and seeking help from the authorities when it reached criminal levels.

#109 DonnyMost, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. Icehouse

I do place some of the blame on Martin. It appears that he let this man bully him, threaten him for over a year. If your solution to stopping harrassment is telling the authorities, and you "take it" for a prolonged period, then I place some of the blame on you. And I don't think there is anything wrong with handling it by telling the powers that be. I just don't think it will get you much respect in a NFL locker room.

We will disagree here. I think it's every mans job to ensure that he protects himself and is not allowing himself to be violated. I will always put some of the onus on an individual to stand up for themselves and protect themselves, if they are capable.

Are victims always blameless? If someone comes up and slaps you and you do nothing, as they continue to pummepl you, you get none of the blame for not defending/protecting yourself? Yes, I speak with the presumption that Martin didn't do what he needed to do to diffuse this prior to slamming his tray down and leaving the team. If telling the powers that be is the solution he waited a long time to do it. Yes, I'm assuming he never tried to "take it to" Incognito to get him to leave him alone. You are also assuming that Incognito was this crazy/threatening to other teammates. Where are the other incidents of him doing something like this to another teammate in the league? No, this is not excusing his behavior. He was wrong. But I do think people should protect themselves, and I don't think that implies trying to kill someone. Somehow, this guy has been in the NFL for 10 seasons and no other teammate has had to kill him to stop him from bullying them to this degree. Correct?

I will teach my children if they are bullied they have two choices:

1) Fight back
    2) Tell the teacher/authority figure

Just sitting there continuing to be bullied is not an option. If you do that then yes, I will place some blame on you for not doing #1 or #2. Fighting back to defend/protect yourself is ok.

1 person likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Dolphins OT Jonathan Martin did not approach head coach Joe Philbin to voice concerns during alleged harassment, sources tell <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter">@AdamSchefter</a>.</p>&mdash; SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/statuses/397797621449764864">November 5, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Wish the would kick this pos out of the league. Scumbag doesn't deserve to have the privilege of playing in the nil.

13. esteban

esteban Member

I don't know why is it so hard for you guys to understand what Icehouse and esteban are trying tell you?

Martin is not a helpless individual who's incapable of defending himself. He basically let Incognito had his way with him for so long until he can't take it anymore.

14. Anticope

Anticope Member

Until he couldn't take it anymore and walked away from the situation. What did Martin do in this situation that was so wrong?

15. esteban

esteban Member

That he did not take a pro active stance from the get go, whether to tell management, authorities or confront Incognito himself.

He takes it for so long unnecessarily that it will cost him a career in the NFL. I really feel for him and I think he has deeper psychological issues.

16. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

So you are saying martin is at fault for not being pro-active...What would you suggest a female do if her male co-worker verbally assults her sexually?

17. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

What's up with the alias?

18. Anticope

Anticope Member

Not everyone reacts the same way as you or I might to a situation. It's very telling that the person that took the rational stance in this instance is the one who you think has the psychological issues.

19. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

I'm done discussing this issue. Whether or not Martin could have been more pro-active doesn't excuse Icognito....bottom line, anyone looking for fault in martin's reaction to the harressment is looking to excuse Icognito.

20. esteban

esteban Member

Gee I don't know, maybe she should slap the crap out of him for getting fresh.

What is it with you and the co-worker scenarios? Did anyone mess with you at work? Esteban is here to help!