1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dolphins-Martin-Incognito story

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ferrari77, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Some of the NFL folks, off the record of course, have the same stance.

No, I don't think most NFL players will want to go to take the field with a guy who will get bullied to the point of emotional distress. I don't think most cops would want to work the beat with a guy who will get bullied to the point of emotional distress. I don't think most firemen would want to run into a blaze with a guy who will get bullied to the point of emotional distress. I don't think most Marines would want to go to war with a guy who will get bullied to the point of emotional distress. These are fields where having a guy alongside who who isn't "tough enough to stand up for himself" can end badly for you. The NFL is a tough, dirty, MAN'S game.

I'm not excusing what the guy did. I wouldn't excuse it in those other professions either. But I do understand the reality of those environments.

2. Icehouse

They want you to take it to a degree. If it becomes excessive then they want you to stand up for yourself. Remember when Jason Pierre Paul dunked Prince Amukamara into a cold tub even though he was no longer a rookie? In the video you could hear a teammate telling him to STAND UP FOR YOURSELF! He didn't, so oh well.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yep, oh well. People who don't "stand up for themselves" (which is another way of saying be prepared for violence) deserve it. They are the problem, not the psychos who do it.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah because getting dunked in a cold tub is the same as death threats and racial slurs.

You need to stop

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Of course, because Incognito isn't the only turd in the punch bowl.

On the contrary, I wouldn't want a piece of human excrement like Incognito anywhere near me if the chips were down. Low character, low class, low everything.

Men don't do what Incognito did. Psychopathic overgrown children with raging inferiority complexes and daddy issues do. "Man's game" is not an excuse to act like a piece of s***.

Then you should probably stop posting, because everything you're saying sounds like you're excusing his behavior and placing blame on the other party.

#85 DonnyMost, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  6. Icehouse

I never said they were a problem. I said that type of behavior won't work in certain environments.

And yes, sometimes standing up for yourself does equate to violence. Football is a violent sport. Violence doesn't have to equate to trying to kill someone.

7. esteban

esteban Member

Indeed!
    BTW- take this for whatever it's worth, I think you're a good poster and I'd rather read your posts and your arguments than these crazed Obama kool-aid drinking worshippers.

8. Icehouse

Yet, in 9 seasons, Incognito has never had trouble finding a NFL team willing to pay him to play.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

Say that to to someone who kills a guy when he lands one punch ln a drunken brawl and the other guy dies.

If you don't think violence can result in death you are a moron

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Different discussion altogether.

11. Icehouse

So guys want you to stand up for yourself when it comes to getting thrown in a tub but not when a guy is physically threatening you? Hmmmm.....

12. REEKO_HTOWN

An NFL team also signed a drunken murder and dog killer. What's your point?

13. REEKO_HTOWN

He threatened his life.

Guy you're a wuss if you call the cops after a death threat

14. Icehouse

I don't need to stop posting. Maybe you should start reading. I said Martin may have cost himself a job as well because other players probably don't want him in their locker room, as the "off the record" sources seem to be saying. I never excused what Incognito did or said it was ok. I said in certain environments not standing up for yourself won't work. The NFL is one of those enviromnetns IMO.

15. Icehouse

I did not say violence can never result in death. I said violence doesn't have to equate to trying to kill someone. If a person comes up to me and just hits me in the face, I am going to hit them back. Yes, that it technically violence. It is also protecting yourself. If you think protecting yourself is wrong then we can agree to disagree.

16. Icehouse

The poster that I replied to said he would not want to play with a scumbag like him. My point is guys and teams apparently haven't had an issue with it. NFL teams also don't seem to have issues with other types of players, such as the ones you mentioned. So if we are talking about playing in the NFL then what is the point of mentioning you don't want to play with nuts, killers or thugs? These guys are clearly on rosters and teams/players don't care as long as they can help them win.

Stop getting flack with me because I recognize the realities of pro football.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

There are plenty of stories of people not trying to kill someone but oops they die.
    Its one thing to fight back when someone hits you and another to fight a guy because he's a crazy jerk and calling you names. That's when you call the cops or just walk away.

18. esteban

esteban Member

Now you what I mean Icehouse. These posters that disagree with you and I have some serious comprehension problem.

My conclusion is this: a lot of them do not live in the real world therefore they can never grasp the argument.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I actually agree with Icehouse on his point about who the league would rather have. It is what it is, but the NFL never has a problem employing horrible human beings as long as they don't damage the team and can play well.

Drug users, murderers, alcoholics, rapists, wife beaters, etc. all continued to get employed and teammates have no issue with it. People who have issues with those lifestyle choices or people who go through "proper channels" don't really fit into the NFL culture.

All that said, that's an indictment of the NFL and our society, not of Martin.

We as a society are happy to make absolutely disgusting human beings into millionaires because they can run fast. That we do so helps breed more of them.

20. Major

Major Member

That's sort of my point - for all the macho crap, no one else - as far as we know - stood up and stopped it. You never heard about a lockerroom fight between Incognito and a teammate. This kind of behavior is generally a pattern with people. I think it would be more the exception than the rule if he only did it to Martin. The more likely scenario is that other people just took it. As justtx pointed out, that's what's expected of rookies and young players.

That's because, until now, everyone just took it. If people were fighting back, Incognito likely wouldn't be welcome in locker rooms.