1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dolphins-Martin-Incognito story

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ferrari77, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Major

Major Member

No - I'm saying Martin choosing the route he did has basically cost Incognito millions of dollars and likely his career.

2. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

He is spewing the same garbage that Richie Sr. put out there. That martin has something wrong with him and he should have handled it correctly….like a man with fists…. That’s low class. By condoning the way Martin is responding to the vile harassment he’s legitimizing Icongito’s behavior. IMO

3. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Bill Polian giving great insight on Mike and Mike show.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Minor point of contention... I'd say Incognito choosing the route he did is what cost him millions of dollars and his career.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It also may have cost him his as well. Good luck getting a NFL locker room to support a player that let another player bully him to this degree. Just look at the "reported" reactions from Dolphin players. I'm sure that would hold true for most of the locker rooms in the league.

Getting bullied to the point of emotional distress + never standing up for yourself + leaving the team and snitching will not work in the NFL. Maybe another sport. I'm not trying to blame the kid, but I'm being realistic about what will and won't work for certain environments. The NFL, Marines, Police and the like....that kind of stuff won't wok in those environments.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm sure Martin is going to catch a ton of flack for getting the hammer dropped on the league's most universally disliked player.

7. Major

Major Member

Certainly true - but by most accounts, Incognito has been doing this for years and getting away with all sorts of other nonsense because teams put up with it. If Martin chose not to do anything or to simply get in a fight with him, there's a good chance Incognito would still have his career and his millions. It's only the fact that Martin chose to walk away and force this into the public eye that has caused this end result.

8. Icehouse

He's already catching flack from his teammates for doing just that. And the flack will moreso be for getting bullied to that degree, and not standing up for yourself.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I bet all the people who think Martin handled this wrong also think the NFL is a "p***y" league now because they don't let players blow each other's heads up.

Edit: By the way, I think it's hilarious that esteban thinks I'm a lefty.

10. Icehouse

I only think he handled it wrong if he still wants to play in the NFL. I don't see NFL players supporting a guy getting bullied and just letting it happen, to the point where he needs counseling. I don't think that's the kind of guy other players want alongside them in this VERY DIRTY sport.

11. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I agree

12. justtxyank

If you hear some of the crazy stories that go on you just shake your head. Lance told a story this morning about a player getting stuck with an enormous bill by veterans that went to his agent and ended up frozen out of the team for being a troublemaker.

Guys can say "stand up for yourself" all they want, but basically unless you are willing to get into violence your only alternatives are take it or be ostracized.

13. esteban

esteban Member

I hope Do not be alarm understands your post....
    That has been my point all along. No one is blaming Martin and condone Incognito's disgusting behaviors. But in an environment such as the NFL, you have to stand up for yourself or no one will respect and want to play with you.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Unfortunately, I think this is partially true. I do think Martin can/could have fixed it with positioning... if he positioned his story as not wanting to be part of an unprofessional environment and said he was disappointed in the Dolphins for employing someone who uses racial slurs, I think he'd be fine. He's a young man entering a professional working environment, in America, you don't have to put up with anything you don't want to put up with. So he took things into his own hands and left the team.

It's unfortunate that the marines, police, etc... have a childlike makeup in place. These are pee-pee games for juveniles, not men that are educated and smart enough to think for themselves. Many NFL players are millionaires, family men, educated, entrepreneurs and celebrities, there's no room for this ****. No room for less intelligent, small minded players to bring others down. These losers are trying to pull everyone else down around them, they don't want to see a new player succeed, take their spotlight, because they're too stupid to make anything for themselves with the cards they've been handed. I'll say the same applies to police/marines.

Martin should not have to "defend" himself. Because a ****ing grown up adult, not a kid on the playground. If I owned the Dolphins I would welcome Martin and figure out a way to have someone babysit the handful of hooligans that probably couldn't make a living doing anything else other than football.

#74 Ziggy, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  15. Major

Major Member

I think that's easy to say, but most reports say this has been going on for a long time and to multiple players. In his career, Incognito has been a problem all over the place, and likely did this crap to multiple people - there's not a single instance of anyone going after him (except Antonio Smith during a game). So it's not like there's a standard where everyone else is taking matters into their own hand except Martin. At the end of the day, no one successfully put a permanent stop to the bullying of future players except Martin. In the long run, I think these guys who talking task to the media (anonymously, amusingly enough for people who act like tough guys) will be the substantial minority.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Martin did the right thing. This is a workplace not prison. Would you fight a guy who is known to be crazy?

There is some childish thinking in here by some

17. justtxyank

Actually they don't want you to stand up for yourself, they want you to take it. That's the right of passage in the NFL. They think it's ok.

Let someone come start taking your money at your job with the mindset that if you resist you're a punk that the office will freeze out and that if complain to management you're not a man.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Yeah, his teammates, some of whom probably participated in or encouraged this... you think they're more or less likely to dislike Incognito than his opponents?

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I think we need to stop using the word "bullying". This was borderline psychopathic behavior from a foul, violent, racist, d-bag.

This is a workplace, not a schoolyard. Bullying is for children and pre-teens on facebook. This was criminal levels of harassment.

20. Icehouse

Incognito has been a problem everywhere, but we have never heard of something like this. There is nothing out there of any other players allowing themselves to be bullied to this degree. At least not that I am aware of.

Yes, this guy has been a trouble maker everywhere. But I don't think you can go to each of his previous stops and find another player that either took it this much or allowed it to get to them like Martin did. I doubt any other player has allowed Incognito to take it as far as Martin did. Just my opinion.