1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dolphins-Martin-Incognito story

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ferrari77, Nov 4, 2013.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Lmao. Ker-pwnt.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The first four words are key here.

3. Major

Major Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9926888/miami-dolphins-kept-richie-incognito-control

Beneath the disgusting details of threats and taunts and racism lies an uncomfortable truth: The NFL needs Richie Incognito more than it needs Jonathan Martin.

Coaches love players like Incognito. They look at guys like Martin, known as soft-spoken and thoughtful while at Stanford, with skepticism. Does he have the killer instinct? Does he care enough? Those questions don't apply to Incognito. Coaches might not want to see him after hours, but they love him on the field. He's indispensable, a tone-setter, the guy who announces your team's presence with a crazed, through-the-whistle style that is prized at every level.

Coaches chuckle among themselves: He might be a horrible human being, but he's our horrible human being. Sociopathic behavior from players at certain positions is not only tolerated but cherished. As long as it stays out of the headlines and the police blotters -- in other words, as long as it's kept in-house -- it provides the kind of toughness you need to compete.

Yes, this is America's game.

Own it. Even now, even after the extent of Incognito's viciousness has been revealed through voice mails and texts to Martin, there are NFL personnel people telling reporters, like Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter, that it's a man's game and Martin failed to handle it like a man. According to these unnamed men, Martin should have manned up and handled the situation face-to-face, with his fists if necessary.

You know -- like a man.

Seriously, though, did these men's men read the things Incognito reportedly said to Martin? Don't we encourage people not to deal with the deranged, to let the professionals handle it? Does anyone believe Incognito would be cowed by a confrontation?

To blame Martin is to ignore reality and uphold the twisted norms of the misguided subculture that allowed this type of environment to persist and -- dare we say -- thrive. It's also a willful refusal to connect the threat of violence to the reality of our gun-soaked, disrespect-me-and-pay-the-price ethos that has people like Aaron Hernandez sitting in jail.

Martin should be praised for walking away and letting the Dolphins sit amid the fetid steam of Incognito's behavior. Speaking of Martin, Bart Scott told Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco on ESPN New York, "Thank God he walked away. They've got to be thankful he didn't bring a gun to work."

It's soul-crushing to see how many situations in football cause people to break out the "wussification of America" card, as if being swindled and harassed and threatened is just part of the NFL workplace, the price you pay for having a job that too many American males look upon as the pinnacle of human achievement. If you can't hack having your mother threatened and your race demeaned and your well being threatened, you know, move aside for someone who can.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Incognito strikes me as the type of guy who will either end up in jail or in the morgue after football.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

6. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Man this guy is a lunatic, some serious issues. I hope the media doesn't wear the race part out. Its about bullying at the highest level and I think most of us has experienced it in some form. I can stand up and say I have my freshmen year in college. All the freshmen football players got blasted, it wasn't physical but words still cut. Thought about killing a couple of them lol. Made it through mentally stronger but going all incognito is taking it to dam far. He's just a giant douche bag bully who will use gender, race, age or anything to hurt and deflect attention.

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZQPnXBqZSIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Incognito is such a sick last name tho

9. esteban

esteban Member

In your regular circle jerk again I see.

10. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

You could almost spell ignorant with it.

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I understand the other posts and sentiments towards "estebans" preference of the course of action to undertake in such a situation, but I don't get the "low class person" comment?
    He never wrote that he thought it was ok for a co-worker to treat another like Incognito did to Martin. He was just advocating resorting to violence.
    That's obviously not Martin's style and although some (if they were Martin's build) would have gone that route, Martin deciding to stay away from the team and put in a complaint is the more proper way to handle it. Now one would hope Martin had already complained to Philbin and Ireland and felt he had to leave the team since they were taking no action.

Either way, I don't oppose those who believe they would have confronted Incognito if in Martin's situation, but everyone is different. Everyone has different ways of reacting to situations. Like Bart Scott said, the Dolphins should be glad Martin wasn't crazier and decided to take more drastic lethal action. From events over the past couple of years we know that many in this country would have reacted in that kind of manner and thankfully Martin didnt.

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

New
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/04/3730753_p2/dolphins-suspend-incognito-amid.html

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

^^That wouldn't be surprising...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>interesting that of the half dozen personnel people/players i've spoken with, all feel martin should've handled this man to man.</p>&mdash; Jim Trotter (@SI_JimTrotter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SI_JimTrotter/statuses/397420589503102977">November 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Said one personnel man (who's not alone): &quot;Instead of being a man and confronting him, (Martin) acted like a coward and told like a kid.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jim Trotter (@SI_JimTrotter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SI_JimTrotter/statuses/397423612610625537">November 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Another: &quot;Incognito is an A-Hole, however I'm pretty sure you would want him beside you if you are in a bar fight. Tough as nails.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jim Trotter (@SI_JimTrotter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SI_JimTrotter/statuses/397424526008385536">November 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Also: &quot;You handle it in house (fight, handle it on the field, joke about it, etc.) and keep it moving.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jim Trotter (@SI_JimTrotter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SI_JimTrotter/statuses/397424885095350272">November 4, 2013</a></blockquote>

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...tin-richie-incognito/?sct=hp_t12_a2&eref=sihp

14. esteban

esteban Member

Around this forum if you have a different opinion than the resident lefty, they will call you names and get away with it. When you reciprocate then the mods will hit you with an infraction and delete your posts.

BTW- just for the records, I was never an advocate for violence as the first option. My point was since the douche Incognito took it up a notch and threatened Martin's family....that is when all bets are off.

Martin somehow to me is not cut out for this environment, if you won't stand up for yourself who will?

15. Major

Major Member

Which is more effective? Martin beating the crap out of Incognito or getting him booted from the NFL and costing him millions of dollars and his career? I think Martin did fairly well.

16. Major

Major Member

17. esteban

esteban Member

Martin may get Incognito booted out of the league but he will not earn the respect from other players.

18. esteban

esteban Member

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I wish Incognito would get banned for life and have charges pressed against him. I hate this guy. Something like extortion, harassment, and terroristic threats ought to do.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

You think him whooping Incognito's ass would get him booted out of the league? If he killed him yes if he fought him I doubt it.

After all Steve Smith broke Ken Lucas nose in training camp and he is doing just fine right now.