1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dog question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by finalsbound, May 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

My dog has never been alone at night. Either I'm there or someone else is there. I'm planning to take a trip to Galveston this weekend (leaving Friday evening) and hired a dog walker to come 3 times on Saturday, then I'll come home Sunday morning to take her to the dog park for a couple hours, and then the walker will come again Sunday evening and Monday morning (returning Monday afternoon). Unfortunately I can't take her with me.

Simple question, and it's just been buggin the hell out of me - do you think it's cruel to leave a dog alone for 3 nights in a row? I'm racked with guilt over causing bad separation anxiety.

2. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

1st world issues.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

As long as someone comes over to feed them then no. Turn on the tv or something for ambient noise.

4. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

It's somewhat cruel if the dog is always used to you being there and is totally dependent upon you. It's always nice to have family members or close friends who the dog is comfortable with and you could have them check in or keep the dog at their place for a couple of days. What kind of dog? Don't say Jack Russell.

5. dragician

dragician Member

if you live in the Pearland are, I know a guy who can take care of your dog.

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

that's what i'm worried about. she's a 50 lb golden lab who lives to be around people.

7. rawool

rawool Member

As long as someone visits it, I don't see it as a problem.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Please don't leave me. I'll be good.

[​IMG]

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

If I wasn't going to have so much company over this weekend I'd offer to take care of your pup for the weekend for free. I have three dogs and they LOVE company and I also live fairly close to you. :(

1 person likes this.
  10. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

He'll be fine as long as someone comes over to feed him.

Don't worry, dog's can't differentiate wether you leave 5 minutes or 5 hours.
    Just bring him back a bone!

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't know about cruel, since she'll still get walked and you're going to drop by, but it'll be sad for her. You may want to leave the radio or tv on, so something is going on and she doesn't keep thinking you're coming in every time she hears something.

Have the walker tire her out and maybe that'll help her sleep through the night.

13. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Leave an old jacket or shirt (undershirt - shorts) that has your smell on it in the kennel with the dog, That will give it some comfort. It might be well chewed by the time you get back so make sure it is not a loss.

14. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

Has anybody every had there dog walk in on them taking a dump? and then the dog starts to poop too?

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this is ironic considering I am going through the same dilemma. We are leaving him with our neighbors though. Our dog is way too close and I just feel really ****ty at his first impression which will be "My owners left me." I hope he somehow understands since he is going to be a walking distance from where he lives.

16. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

oops *ever and *their

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

thanks for the suggestion, we will do this.

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Why not drop her off somewhere? We used to take our dogs to Molly's Mutthouse in The Heights and they loved it. That way she won't have to be alone and will get a chance to play with other dogs while you're gone.

19. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I was gone for a week on a vac, we had a friend come by and give food and water, play with her. She was pumped to see us, but I never felt bad, I just missed her.
    That thundershirt owner looks like a slob and a bad owner, btw.

20. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

an opportunity for him to appreciate your presence...

i take my dogue whenever it's feasible (depending on hotels, respect for hosts, quarantine requirements, etc...). I get off on his pleasure on my return.