1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dog Owners] I got lectured again by a stranger

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Feb 11, 2014.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't get it. Please share your stories of strangers lecturing you. Lecturing me about my stray dog is one of the few things that can set me off, so I've learned to just ignore it.

This must be the feeling parents have when strangers lecture you about your parental abilities.

story:

So, I got yelled at today for being a bad dog owner, again. Me, my skiing buddy and my dog spent 11 hours in a car yesterday returning from Vail to Boulder in what should have been a 2 hr drive to return from skiing. Crazy. So, today, Beta deserves the outdoors. Took her for walks at work (she goes to work with me), walk after work, but she still wouldn't come inside.

So sat with her on the porch for 30 minutes combing her, then asked her to go inside. She sat down like an anchor like she does and refused to go inside. So, I brought out her bed and tied her to the front porch, as I do often when she wants to hang and watch the world go by rather than coming inside.

Then knock on the door. You are an evil owner. "It's 20 degrees outside." I try to explain, then try to demonstrate by taking her off the leash to show them she doesn't want to come inside. And they say...no look, she's cowering. She doesn't want to come in because she must be afraid of you.

sigh​
    I thought I was over defending me and my 12-yr old dog to people like this. But then they said "She must be scared of you". so sigh.

My dog loves the snow. She has a special bark (a safe word??) to tell me she wants to come back in. Ironically, she only uses the bark in the Summer when she is too hot. Thus why she hates her hometown of Houston.

ps: this dog was a 5 mo old stray in the Heights who came up to me and my older dog back in 2002 (in a little known dog park called Monte Beach), just when I was looking for a new dog to get trained by the older dog. So, we named her "Beta."

Here is Beta asking me to find another stick at Boulder Creek.

[​IMG]

#1 heypartner, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

What a sweet looking dog..

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

At the risk of sounding sexist, I have to say that whenever I've received a sanctimonious lecture from a stranger, I don't believe it's ever come from a man (Swoly-D excepted).

2 people like this.
  4. platypus

platypus Member

Next time some one lectures you just tell them to **** off. You obviously are a good dog owner and don't have to explain yourself to some random stranger.

Oh and your dog looks great, im glad she has a good home.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

or maybe she is cowering and afraid of me in that photo. She does have her ears down???

6. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I appreciate the lady's intentions, but if they're going to confront an owner they have to be a bit more open minded than that

7. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

The lady was obese amirite?

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Your dog looks like it has seen unspeakable things in Nam. It has a lot of character.

9. gambingo

gambingo Member

let me take a guess, the lady was caucasian?

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Sweet dog. I walk on that path all the time

Lady we was dumb just ignore them

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

People need to mind their own effin business.

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Glad you held your temper. I would find it impossible too when it comes to lecturing me about ANYTHING about my dogs. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing. I would just call them a sphincter lip and watch them go like "wha?"

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Who gaf what people think about how you treat your dog? If you know she's not being mishandled than slam the door in that b****es (pun intended) face and be done with it.

People are idiots.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Please describe the lecturer.

Also, this lecturing person...how do they know that it's not some crazy psychopath behind the door who would shoot them for annoying them or something?

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I've seen dogs keep outside in the freezing cold and thought negatively about the owner to myself, but honestly I don't really know what is the temperatures these dogs can comfortably withstand.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My dog will bite people if I tell her to, so I always have that as an option if someone is giving me s***.

But I know where you're coming from. When I worked at a Buc-ee's I'd have people come up to me throwing a fit if they saw a dog in a car. Invariably, when the dog owner was identified they would point out that the dog had only been in there a minute with the windows rolled down, or that they had the AC on. Damn busybodies.

There is plenty of animal abuse out there, but if you see a dog chillin inside a luxury SUV at a place where people make quick stops, odds are the dog is just fine.

17. likestohypeguy

Well there's your problem.

18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

How dare you leave the dog out in the cold in respect of the dogs wishes. You are the human and you know better than the dog what it wants. Maybe you should learn from this and next time beat the dog with a stick until it goes inside. You must exert your authority over the dog so the dog knows you are the boss...

19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I think you should brush it off. Its actually nice to see that this other person cared enough to come talk to you. Most often people let things slide because they don't want to get involved. Should this lecturer have been judgmental? Obviously not, but at least they cared about a dog enough to talk to the owner.

A few months ago I was walking my two dogs around the house. Beautiful day and lots of people walking around. Saw this other couple walking their two medium size dogs. I guess both the dogs got excited and started trying to run somewhere, though they were on a leash. The dude owner, who btw looked like a professional wrestler, just starts pounding on them with his fists and kicking the crap out of them. I was about 20 yards away and was just shell shocked by what I was witnessing out in the open. Other people were close by and nobody was saying anything. I run closer and yell at the guy to f'n stop. He tells me to mind my own business. The female owner says they have to do this when they get excited. Its basically a yelling match between us at this point. My two little dogs are going nuts. This dude is like three times my size. I tell him he is a f'n loser and I'm calling the cops. Everybody else is just looking. I bring out my cell, but he stops and him and his b**** wife quickly walk away with their two dogs. Wish I could have done more by following them and calling the cops or something.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I hope this was not in Florida :eek:.