1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

dog cancer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Mar 16, 2010.

1. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

I am sorry to hear about your dog. I am a long time pet owner and have faced your situation in the past. Given the age and breed of your dog, I really would not recommend the chemo option.

I worked for a vet in the dark ages when I was in high school, and I really am appalled that vets to not offer euthanasia as an option to people more often now. Once I bring it up the the vet, they usually agree that it is an option, but I really don't remember a vet ever bringing it up.

In your case, I would try the steroids for as long as they make her comfortable. Good luck, and I am really sorry you are having to go thru this. It always seems like we have our pets for too short of a time. It helps me to know that I gave them love and a good home in return for their devotion.

2. mic

mic Contributing Member

The title of this thread made my eyes water. I'm obviously a huge dog lover. I'm really sorry to hear this... Breaks my heart. I have no exp with this, so just wanted to say I wish you and your dog the best. The thought of something like this happening with my dog is too much to think about. :(

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Very sorry to hear about this, man. Best of luck to you guys.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Man, that is tough to read SG - i'm dealing with something like that right now with my cat. He has some sort of strange bone infection that just won't go away. He hobbled around on one leg (left) for months then it finally healed with strong antibiotics -- lasted about 4 months. Then out of the blue he starts limping around on just his right leg - this time it is much worse though. Three radiologists have looked at the x-rays and none of them have a clue what is wrong with him.

I've said no to the vet when they have suggested various procedures that would cost a fortune with minimal odds of success. Sometimes I think vets have one thing in mind... $.

For a dog 11 years old I think I would stay away from chemo - it's very expensive as you've noted and it will be very tough on your dog (and you). I had to put my other cat down a couple of years ago from kidney failure. It was hard to do of course -but after the initial sadness of losing a great friend I really felt at peace with my decision knowing that he wasn't suffering any more.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

UPDATE

So, I made the tough decision to start my dog on the Wisconsin Protocol (i.e. chemo) today. As you can see based on my original post date, I didn't waste any time. I was given a lot of data and we discussed all the drugs in the protocol and the side effects/risks involved. I felt it was worth the shot because she would go downhill in a hurry if not treated. I believe the particular clinic I took her too was really professional and gave me the straight talk. They were not pushing me into treatment or anything. They treat a large amount of dogs for this same cancer at any one time and have had lots of success as this cancer is most responsive to treatment. I'm hoping for the best. Wish me luck.

I know there is a long road ahead...but if all goes well my dog should start feeling better in the next couple of treatments where the lymph nodes shrink back to normal and the cancer is being fought off to the eventual point of remission for a year to year and a half. In fact, lymph nodes should start shrinking in 24-48 hours after first treatment. Worst case...she has the more aggressive form (t-cell phenom type versus b-cell phenom type) and the stage of the cancer is so advanced that it cannot be stopped by chemo. I have hope that this is not the case but won't know for sure till the test results are in.

Maybe I can help someone here based on my own experiences? I expect to be reading a helluva lot on this subject and studying drug side effects with what to watch for in my dog. It's scary stuff and my anxiety level is at an all-time high. But, I am hopeful.

1 person likes this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Dude best of luck with your dog. I never realized how much of a big part a pet is to a family until i got mine. It really sucks having to watch him/her suffer because you want to do everything to help. Hope the test results yield the best results for you and your dog .

7. Surfguy

Thanks!

Chemo - Week 1

We got back home a little while ago. Did a lot of driving today as had to drop her at the clinic and go back to get her later. I basically have to drive from NE Loop 820 in Fort Worth to NE Loop 635 in Dallas...not too bad but traffic galore. Let's just say that I wouldn't want to drive that way every day for my commute. That must suck hard. I would rather be homeless. Well... .

Zoe (the patient) is very tired and not eating/drinking right now...just sleeping. She had a big day. Good news is the first drug in the chemo (Asparaginase) could drop a dog dead (cardiac arrest) if that dog has "that" bad reaction to it...but it is rare and didn't happen.

I've been snuggling up with her on the floor comforting her but she is crashing hard right now. Sweet little Zoe who doesn't understand a word I say. When will you be ready to go out and play? :(

1 person likes this.
  8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

All the best to Surfdog. Hope the big guy pulls through and everything is fine.

9. verti89

verti89 Member

that last line made me tear up...grown man crying over someone else's dog

sometimes i hate owning pets because the inevitability that they dont live nearly as long as we do

but then i open my door and they trample me with excitement and i know its worth it

i hope your dog comes through and lives a longer happy life and i think its cool that your sharing your info with others should they sadly ever need it

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a really tough situation. The dogs are lucky to have been in what seems like a great environment for them. I feel awful that one of them is sick.

I have two dogs myself, and they are truly amazing. They basically live to try and belong and be a part of your family. They trust you to take care of them. It's very tough. I hope whatever happens that it works out the best it can for both you and the dog.

11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Wow...that is all very sad. It is odd how a true story about a god belonging to somebody you have never met will reduce you almost to tears.

Surfguy, you are a good man to take such extraordinary care of Zoe. Here's to a full remission for your best friend.

Also, NE Loop 820...up by North Richland Hills or Hurst-Euless-Bedford? I love Fort Worth. Great town.

12. R0ckets03

Thats the best part of having a pet. They absolutely love you with no stipulations and are a part of the family. I LOVE that you have to take care of them basically like a parent as they care completely reliant on you to take care of all their needs.

I type this as my little puppy is sleeping in my lap looking up at me.

#32 R0ckets03, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  13. Dei

Dei Member

That is a sad, meaningful story.

14. Surfguy

I'm in a good location 3 miles north of NE loop 820 living in North Richland Hills with great freeway access and a fast commute to work of just 20 minutes. And, you likely know near NE loop 820 going westbound is one of the biggest bottlenecks in all of Texas (and I think the entire nation) it was voted. But, I easily avoid all that traffic hell as I turn off right before it.

To all, you guys/gals are great and I can feel the good vibes from your posts radiating around me as I read through your posts. I know we all like to comment in support of others' plights. But, I couldn't truly appreciate or understand the impact of those types of comments until I experienced it firsthand in this thread. It really does help and feels so inspiring. It is one of the things that will help get me through this. So, I thank you. I plan on finishing this thread to the end.

I'll close today out by quoting Mickey Rourke:

"Sometimes when a man's all alone, that's all you got...is your dog(s)."

I love that quote.

#34 Surfguy, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I hope Zoe gets better. That quote is so true.

16. Surfguy

I found out this morning that Zoe has the b-cell (versus the t-cell) variety of the lymphosarcoma. They also found cancer cells in the liver and spleen...which we were kind of expecting. If any good news can come out of that info, then it is the b-cell is the more treatable form of the cancer with the longer life expectancy of 12-18 months (assuming the chemo is effective). There is a better chance the chemo will work against b-cell... whereas t-call is the more resistant to chemo with a much shorter life expectancy of just 5 or 6 months maximum under this same treatment (assuming the treatment is effective in the first place). So, I'm cautiously optimistic going forward.

Zoe has been doing pretty well after chemo treatment #1. She has been eating more albeit still avoiding dry food (albeit that could just be her passing it up for the canned food and treats). At this point, we just want her eating and she is...so this is good. While I want her to eat her dry food, I don't want to deprive her of food trying to force her to eat it...because she is pretty stubborn and may just go without. She needs to keep her weight on. We went on daily walks around the neighborhood and she didn't have a problem. She was wagging her tail and was much improved compared to the days before her diagnosis where she was just totally lethargic.

Chemo treatment #2 is tomorrow afternoon.

17. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Thanks for the updates Surfguy. Hopefully no one else will have to go through it, but I know the first place I'll come to is this thread if I'm in the same situation. Good luck.

18. R0ckets03

Good to hear.
    You are a great pet owner btw.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

So sorry to hear that Surfguy. I too treat my dogs as family members.

I can't imagine myself with out my beagle Shelby, or her puppy Hunter.

Grew up with a dog loving family, had a Yorkshire Terrier for 15yrs, there's a thread on here about us having to put her down when her health really deteriorated.

Glad to hear the good news, hope she pulls through a quick recovery.

20. Surfguy

Zoe seems to be doing okay after chemo treatment #2. I was a little concerned when I brought her in because they said the lymph nodes would shrink in 24-48 hours after the first drug treatment. But, that didn't happen. The doctor said that first drug isn't always effective and that is the only time it will be used. But, I've been feeling her lymph nodes just last night and they seem to have shrunk in size after the second treatment.

Zoe threw up a few times yesterday while I was at work. But, she seems good now. I'm still throwing lots of different foods at her to get her to eat. She is really particular about what she will eat...and it's pissing me off somewhat because I feel like she thinks I'm there to wait on her every need. I bring her bowls of food away from her typical eating spot. She looks at me like I'm a crazy SOB that she controls...like she is a princess and I'm her slave. Well...you are still a dog. You eat what I pay for and give you! lol! I end up throwing away a fair amount of food other dogs would love to eat. But, whatever.

I also could have sworn she went right outside yesterday, laid down, and proceed to pee right there on my porch without even bothering to go to the grass. That's a first. Then, she was kind of laying in it a little. She is drinking an awful lot of water...so can't say I blame her.