1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Torture Work? The C.I.A.’s Claims and What the Committee Found

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

So for those of you who thought that this report would somehow cause the American people to rally against torture....Nope.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why would anyone think that would have happened? Most likely this report is chock full of bogint, and even if it wasn't people generally didn't care about what happened to terrorists even before 9-11 and all of the beheadings since then....There's a strong sentiment that they were just getting what they deserved.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

except those that were not terrorists and were tortured.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Do you really know that, or just think you do because you read a report that was approved for your consumption?

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who gives a ****? It doesn't matter at all that the American people "rally against torture".

Torture is already illegal. This report didn't change that, rather it cemented the fact that it was ineffective and useless and that the pro torture crowd was untruthful about it.

This is all in the public record now - and that's the point, not some dumb poll. The torture program was exposed for what it was, as we're the perpetrators. This type of shame and their corrrsponding rage and guilt will be their legacy, as they certainly won't be going to jail. And believe me, they care.

It hurts Dick Cheney that he'll be mentioned alongside internment camps and other embarrassing national stains in history. That's why he's fighting so hard against it.

#185 SamFisher, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

We don't run our government on "sending a message", Sam. The Tea Party does enough of that. I would prefer that our government sits down like adults and actually figure out how to prevent this from happening again as opposed to thinking about what history books will say about Dick Cheney in 30 years. From what I can tell, you're more concerned about the latter.

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Yes why hold your leaders accountable for the things they did:rolleyes:

#187 arno_ed, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Doesn't seem to make a difference to Cheney and the pro-torture crowd:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/cheney-torture-report-innocent-detainee

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even Dick Cheney acknowledges there were people wrongfully held.

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

what about all the innocent people who were captured, detained, tortured and in some cases sexually assaulted and/or murdered?

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

rather than repeat myself i went and found some of my posts from 2006-2007 that i would like to add...

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As always, The Simpsons nailed it:

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why don't you play out this scenario in your universe where the government sits down like adults and prevents this from happening again?

It happened the first time when torture was already illegal, when we already knew it didn't work, and when there was substantial opposition to it within the government itself.

What do you want, a bipartisan bill that torture is extra-really-super-illegal? Sadly, we couldn't pass that anyway due to GOP nuttery, so what honestly are you saying needs to happen that's not currently happening, and why do you think covering this all up is going to prevent it?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, do you know any of that for a fact or are you just repeating things that you heard others tell you that was approved for your consumption? You might as well be telling me about how great Enron was doing in 1999 because they said they were doing great. When it comes to intelligence and national security, don't assume that you are being told the truth, you almost never are.....even when it's negative.

16. Anticope

Anticope Member

Someone posted a link 7 posts before yours that has the video of Dick Cheney, the biggest defender of "enhanced interrogation" tactics, admitting that innocents were held in certain circumstances.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Mental gymnastics is strong here.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

I think Torture would work, because everyone has a breaking point, and I think at some point soldiers or terrorists ask themselves does the military have my back at the end service, and they really don't seem to have your back even in America. So then it just comes down to if you give them some leads to avoid the torture, will they kill you or adopt you as one of their own. Now putting all these people together in the same compound, where they can chat and plan, build leadership, is dumb. So you do need to isolate them.

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Let me give an example. One reason that this mess occurred is that on 9/12, the CIA realized, "Oh, we don't actually have anyone who's really specialized in interrogation." Because such institutions are not easy to create, and since there was intense pressure to get results quickly since we didn't know when the next terrorist attack would be, the CIA did ad hoc measures like paying a couple of frauds $80 million.

That right there is a bureaucratic mistake that should be corrected, and there are other bureaucratic mistakes that led to this outcome. Fix those mistakes. You don't even need a bill for that. You need oversight by Congress, sure, and that's part of it. Maybe actually promote Arab language and culture courses in universities so we have people who better understand them, and so on. Little things like fixing bureaucracy and gaining a better understanding of Arabic cultures will work slowly, but it will do a better job at promoting real change than all the newspaper columns in the world about this hideous and unforgivable outrage.

Perhaps I'm optimistic. I guess I do believe that the pressure of ensuring the next 9/11 did not happen as well as a lack of effective means was what led to this, and not that the CIA is just filled with a bunch of SS wannabees.

20. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please refrain from posting anymore opinions about national security or intelligence matters because you can't be sure that you have accurate information.