1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Toronto really have no say in where Bosh wants to go?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 26, 2010.

1. jedicro

jedicro Member

Considering those are "basic works for a GM" most GM's sure do suck at it.

Let me ask you. If on July 1st we call Bosh and he tells us that he's already decided he wants to be a Rocket and we use the assets that Morey has expertly brought together to get him here, will that make Morey a top 5 GM to you?

Would you suddenly start hailing his draft picks and trade moves to get us teh necessary pieces and depth to make it happen?

On the flip side, what if all the major FA's decide not to go to Houston because one of them had a bad ham sandwich here one time and scares them all away? What the heck is DM supposed to do about that? Does that make him a bad GM?

This type of results only evaluation is short-sighted and illogical. Daryl Morey has taken this team from cap and talent hell and put us in a great positoin to be major players this year in free agency or still be a good team with great picks and assets if we don't get somebody. For that, I give him credit.

Sorry, we don't like to lose.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately for a majority of teams, their GMs don't quite understand these concepts very well.

As for the trade, there is virtually no way that the Rockets do not come out in a better position for making this trade. Even if Martin gets injured again, his cap figure is only HALF of what T-Mac's was. That's not going to kill the Rockets' ability to maneuver around it. Even if Hill is a bust, he'll still be a big man with athleticism. Other teams always want those and think they can "fix" a guy like that (see the Rockets with Stromile), so Morey should be able to trade even a terrible Hill. And the picks could both be late first rounders. Morey has a better than average chance of turning at least one of those into a valuable contributor to this team. And that was the WORST case scenario.

To criticize the Martin deal is to not have a grasp on either reality or what constitutes being a great GM.

Sorry, but you are being unrealistically harsh on Morey. Sure, to say he's a bad GM would get you completely flamed from this BBS. But no rationale person can say that he isn't among the top GMs in the league. Not top 5? Fine, feel that way. But he's no lower than 7th or 8th, at absolute worst.

3. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I remember Morey himself said, at the end of the day people will evaluate him in term of how many championships that he leads the orgnazition to win. And, I think he is right.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And how was he going to win a championship with $40,000,000 sitting on the bench in suits?

5. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Which is why Steve Kerr and Jack Haley are in the Hall of Fame, widely recognized as two of the all-time greats to ever play the game, while guys like Elgin Baylor, Karl Malone and Charles Barkley are no-name bums and will never be recognized for any of their accomplishments on the basketball floor.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Haley retired from the NBA with the highest efficiency percentage for Towel Waving IIRC

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Then, you should ask Morey himself. Those words were said by him, not me. :grin:

btw, I talked about 'LEAD'. I didn't know that Steve Kerr was the leader of the bulls.

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

This just reminded me of a movie scence. A girl cannot accept her boyfriend is not perfect, and refuse to believe obvious facts. Then, a question comes out, if her boyfriend does have many problems, would she still love him? And, I think that is a criteria of true love.

Similarly, it seems some rockets fans couldn't accept the fact Morey is not perfect, and needs to improve in some fields. I want to ask the question, if someday you realize Morey is not as perfect as you imagine, would you still love or support him?

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

What do you want him to say? "I'm a great GM"???

Just like any great player, when asked about his greatness, he's typically going to say something like wanting to be judged by championships.

Not that Morey shouldn't judge HIMSELF that way. But objectively speaking, one can judge him appropriately whether or not he actually presides over (or constructs) a championship winning team. Sure, winning titles would cement his legacy; but it's not a prerequisite to greatness as a GM.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

If he is perfect, then he would've traded for Lebron, Bosh, Dwight Howard, Wade, and Deron Williams over the past years. If he is perfect, our lineup should be

DH12
    Bosh
    Lebron
    Wade
    DWill

But obviously, this is far from the truth. Morey is, as you said, is far from perfect. In fact, looking at our roster, it doesn't even come close to achieving such perfection.

Hence, I guess Morey's mediocrity at best.

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

abc2007, I don't mean to keep piling on you because of your unpopular opinion, but I forgot to respond to your comment about all GMs being able to do "1 and 2". If you recall, within those items, I mentioned that Morey was able to work with only 40% of so of his salary cap figure. NO OTHER GM IN THE LEAGUE HAS HAD TO DEAL WITH THIS AND YET BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN COMPILING A WINNING TEAM.

Sorry for the all caps, but I wanted to drive this point home. The vast majority of GMs would have fallen flat on their face with the situation that Morey inherited (with the injuries to Yao and Tracy). Morey has not only weathered the storm, but he has actually IMPROVED this team across the board, except for at the very top. He has created a situation where that can easily be accomplished. It's all up to the whim of one person (Bosh), but Morey has definitely done his part.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think morey has done a good job and i dont know where i would rank him. He's between 6-10 to me. In the end, its about having the team in contention and winning rings.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What kind of tank job would have been required to get a worse record than Nets or Minny? Rox would have had to lose 58 games to have a worse record than Sac. 30 wins? That would have been #10 pick (by # of wins, at least).

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

BoshBoshBosh. I love the guy, butbutbut - how much better is he than Lee in/for NY? Haslim in/for Miami? Or Scola in/for Rox?

He's better than all three but at the extra cost is he enough better? And I would prefer ALL three to Boozer - or Amar'e (great talent, yes, but suspect under a microscope IMHO).

I am hoping DM the GM does a trade with assets accumulated for a great talent under contract which is a sufficient upgrade as to warrant Parade dreams.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Doing something unheard of isn't impossible. It just makes Morey an innovator.

You, on the other hand, basically said something out of your ass that makes no sense unless a GM had a gun to his head.

Yes, I know what you mean. But how does that apply to Bosh? Sacramento catered to Tellem because instead of one big poopy contract, they got multiple, smaller poopy contracts. They lose NOTHING. They only lose the possibility of T-Mac pouting during his 3 month stay there.

But this is what you're proposing.

Bosh: I want to go to Miami
    Colangelo: Miami has nobody I want for S&T
    Bosh: That's okay, you can get a 3rd team in on the deal.
    Colangelo: Okay, let's get a 3rd team in on the action(Calls OKC)
    Colangelo: Hi, Sam, I want to S&T Bosh to Miami, but I need some assets back. Miami can't give me anything, so can you send me young prospects instead?
    Petrie: What do I get out of it?
    Colangelo: Bosh's agent will be grateful
    Petrie: ....
    Petrie: And..
    Colangelo: I can give you Calderon and Turkgolu.
    Petrie: Yeah, sure. That sounds good. Who do you want? James Harden? Jeff Green? I might be willing to give up Durant, but I'll have to think about it.

16. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I dig that.