1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Toronto really have no say in where Bosh wants to go?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Toronto will let Bosh walk before they take back players/salaries they don't really, really want. Bosh won't leave $30 million on the table.

Toronto has a say in this for sure.

2. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

It can be a mutual. Just do what's best for both sides. CB to Houston would be best.

If he doesn't come to Houston, he's all talk and not in it for the right reasons. I don't think he's that dumb. Which is why I believe he'll be a Rocket.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Different people have different tiers of understanding as far as the CBA and its implications go.

It comes down to one basic decision for Toronto: Does accomodating Bosh in a SnT make us better or worse?

If Miami offers a second round pick and a TPE for Bosh, it basically comes down to either having a second round pick or not.

Colangelo can try and hardball Miami or Chicago, but whats the point? Maintaining relationships in the industry is more important than fans seem to think.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This.

The Rockets have the best package for Toronto. But they can still get SOMETHING from the under-the-cap, no-other-asset-having teams.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Indeed. I don't think the Rockets are the favorite to get Bosh or anything. Simply that we should have a legit shot, perhaps even more so, after Chicago and Miami's wheeling and dealings. To them, freeing up cap makes sense, because they can look at Bosh, Johnson, Boozer, Lee, Amare, etc. But to Houston, the other players matter less because Toronto is by far the most likely S&T candidate. As Bosh is the only top PF to leave money on the table if he's not sign and traded.

That's why I think these recruitment stuff matters. If Bosh can just think of Houston as a viable destination, money and his relationship with the Raptors could make up the rest of the difference.

Why shouldn't Colangelo play hardball? Does Morey actually care that Toronto once screwed us out of Stoudamire ten years ago? Did Prichard screw us from Roy prevent Morey from dealing them Batum? You make it sound like if a GM refuse to bend over for a FA about to leave, then no one else will play with that GM in the future.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So, you guys are saying, if Bosh says Houston is good enough, so...basically, whatever Bosh wants.

;)

DD

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Only if you truly can construe the idea that "Bosh thinks the Rockets are good enough" = "Houston is Bosh's #1 favorite destination for the prime of his career".

8. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I mean for T-Mac we gave up a crap load to get him so yes Orlando did have a say into a lot that happened. T-Mac's only say was if he would sign an extension with the team he was traded to. I remember Pheonix was willing to give up Marion at the time as well.

We gave up 3 of our starters for 2 of theirs and some scrubs.

If T-Mac had all the say we would have seen him play with Cat, Francis and Yao im sure.

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Bosh won't choose houston at all. Actually, the rockets has been never in his list.

He wants to be the no.1 option, but it didn't workout in Toronto. The bottom line for him is to be the no.1 option of the front court. This is why he wants play with Lebron or Wade. Have you heard that he wanted to play with D.Howard?! Same reason, he won't come here to play with Yao. Two towers are only in your dream, guys!

10. Ramathorn006

Plus I think Lebron and Dwade have learned from Kobe that you need a scoring big man to win big.

Now the question is...

is Dwade and Bosh better that Gasol and Kobe?
    is James and Bosh better than Gasol and Kobe?

Wouldnt you think the NBA could make even more money off the finals if it had teams with those players in it?

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Getting Bosh is just a pipe dream! A smoke screen to cover Morey while he makes his moves unmolested. It causes fans and other team's officials to be be off guard and Morey specializes in his big surprise.(s) :p

12. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Going back to the the T-Mac thing going from Orlando to Houston. T-Mac pretty much stated that he wanted to be traded to Houston. He stated that everytime they played Houston, Yao would light them up. He wanted to team up with Yao to do special things here in Houston.

On the other hand. Everytime we played Toronto of the past year or two, the Rockets stunk it up against them. The Rockets probably didn't do anything head to head that might have impressed Bosh enough to say in the back of his mind, "Hey, I think I might be able to flourish in Houston."

It may not account for much, but I do believe it does leave an impression when teams play well or poorly against you head to head.

Thoughts?

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Yet I would think Bosh plays more like a Small Forward rather than like a BIG Man.
    If what you say is true then Wade or LeBron would be better coming to play with Yao Ming!! :p

14. Ramathorn006

I hope Bosh see it this way too. But im started to lose hope after seeing his interview on Mike and Mike. He seemed kinda annoyed from the Rocket fans.

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If Yao's health is guaranteed, they would be.

16. Egghead

Egghead Member

So, if the Rox do a sign and trade..Morey is gonna low-ball the Raps, right?

I think Morey's initial offer should be Battier + Jefferies + Andersen + the rights to Lull? + NY 2012 1st rounder.

Then have the Raps buyout Battier :grin:

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Budinger/Taylor
    Ariza/Battier
    Bosh/Scola/Patterson
    Yao/Hill/Hayes

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

The raptors' GM Colangelo is two-time GM of the year, and the son of ...

Morey wouldn't be the winner if the trade did occur.

Morey is a young, good potential GM. But, he is far from the best GM right now.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am pretty sure Morey is an actual GM.

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I mean he has the potential to be a great GM. But, currently, he is still a young and inexperienced GM. :)

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

T-Mac still had another year left on his contract in Orlando when he was traded to Houston. Completely different situation than Bosh's.

Well, then the NEXT question you need to ask is...

Are the 10 minimum salary scrubs on the James/Wade or James/Bosh team better than Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, and the rest of the Lakers' roster? Probably not.

First of all, I seriously doubt that any sign-and-trade package for Bosh will include both Battier AND Jeffries unless another Toronto player (think Marcus Banks) is coming back as a salary dump. The Rockets can make salaries match only using one of those guys. The (very small) non-guaranteed salaries of Mike Harris and/or Alexander Johnson may help in that regard.

Second, I can almost guarantee you that Shane Battier will NOT be bought out. If he is included in a package to Toronto, it means that Colangelo insisted on him over Jeffries. Battier's leadership would be quite valuable to the Raptors. Certainly more valuable than the $1-2M, tops, that they'd save by buying him out.

How you can write this with a straight face after his moves at the trade deadline this year is beyond me.

Daryl Morey in unquestionably one of the top 5 GMs in the league. Pretty much any credible person will verify that. And another one of the top 5 GMs is Sam Presti, a guy with even less "GM experience" than Morey.