1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does this bother anyone else?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by dharocks, Sep 11, 2004.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I haven't seen this mentioned on the forum yet, and maybe few outside of Minnesota or the Wisconsin border area have heard about it, but the Vikings have played a little fast and loose with the NFL rules regarding a player suspension for violating league substance abuse rules. Vikings runningback Onterrio Smith was supposed to be sat down for 4 games for this. This suspension was handed down the second week of the preseason.

Then, Michael Bennett went down for the first few games with an injury. The Vikes and Smith decided to appeal Smith's suspension. As it happens, the committee that would hear and decide doesn't meet again until after the third or fourth week of the season. Pending appeal, Smith can play in the opener against Dallas and in the following at Philly and maybe even get to the third with the Bears. With the Minnesota bye week after that, Bennett is expected back so if Smith's suspension is upheld he will sit out the four after that.

While it's legal, and a smart play for the Vikes, it does raise the question of
    whether clubs will start playing games with appeals to work it to their advantage and undermine the league's commitment to cleaning up its image with players and drug involvement. If that's the case, credit the Vikings with giving the league another image bruise.

I think the leagues drug/banned substance policy is due for major review. Teams will continue to manipulate it to their advantage, and the suspension for taking Sudafed and/or over the counter substances, which contain an ephedra-like substance that is banned by the league as an anabolic steroid, is a little ridiculous. Afterall, if you've taken any of about half of the cold medicines on the market, you would be required to serve an immediate four game suspension, whereas if you're tested positive for coke or mar1juana your first offense would only bring about a fine.

2. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I agree with everything you said in that paragraph. I used to take ripped fuel all the time before i would go to the gym. I never had any problems.

But when you have 250-350 pound guys working out NFL style for hours on end with little water in the mid 90 degrees, someone out of 1000 is gonna pass out and possibly die.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I have him on my team. I didn't want to start him because of this.

But he sucks anyway.