1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Dec 29, 2014.

?

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

1. Yes

34.1%
  2. No

65.9%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Drafting Clowney and Mario was anything but conventional and conservative.

Neither was hiring Kubiak or Bob.

Do people look at facts to support their narratives?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That had about as big of an impact, on a local or national level, as the comets winning the first WNBA championship. A new league, with no real legitimacy, competing against the NFL that had yet to become a juggernaut, but still dwarfed the AFL in every way possible. The Luv ya Blue era really marked the birth of professional football in Houston, on both a local and national level.

Cleveland was a long-time NFL team from the late 40's/early 50's. Had iconic players like Jim Brown. Had a passionate fan base that was continuing to go to the games despite an awful stadium. Yes, the NFL "cared" about Cleveland more... and if its because their fans were more passionate about them leaving, so be it.

I'd say those that have no emotional attachment won't get it until this team has real sustained success, or they just stick with them for awhile. The Rockets haven't had any real success for over 20 years, but they've developed a new generation of fans due to their established presence/longevity and history by osmosis (new fans who never watched Rudy T, Calvin or even Hakeem have grown to appreciate them by association).

Hence, asking this question after 12 years is still pretty silly... especially since the first 4 years were wasted by an incompetent regime, and they basically started over as an expansion team in 2006 that took another 5 years to make the playoffs. Give it a good 15-20 years... about the time for any team to grow some real roots.

#82 Nick, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  3. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I agree with 2nd post. I have some Texan gear but rarely wear it unless I just want to blend in with the general public who prance around with Texan stickers on their car, and have the shirts, etc. Most of who probably don't know who would have no idea who Dominick Davis was. Only became die hard fans last 3-4 years. Anyway, I always thought the name was lame and i personally not attached at all to Texans

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

Suggestions?

5. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Well, yeah, the name sucks. But the logo is sweet

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

If the Texans changed to the "Oilers" name, colors, logos, and uniforms, I would be for it.

7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Hell-to-the-naw. Loser colors, logo and name. Powder puff light blue, ugh.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

What? I think you can make that argument about Mario. But Clowney was a consensus top pick. It's not like the Texans reached on him.

The Texans are absolutely a conservative franchise. Particularly compared to the Oilers who seemed freaking crazy and out of control.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I would too, personally. I get why others wouldn't, but I absolutely would.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So I went off on the fanbase. Now it's the organization's turn.

I think the brand has also suffered because of the personnel and personalities involved with the team. It wasn't until John Harris started interviewing Bill O'Brien a few weeks ago that the brand has given us any worthwhile insight as to what goes on behind the scenes.

Previously they have been using John McClain almost elusively as the team's personal muppet. He's excruciatingly hard to listen to or read. He also panders to a demographic of uneducated or casual football fans and/or an audience 45 and older that might still be interested in hearing old Oilers stories.

He's completely out of touch when it comes to the X's and O's of football, breaking insider information or relating to me personally. He manages to sit down with someone for an interview occasionally but it's always a puff piece, full of boring personal, life-story **** that nobody cares about.

I could go on and on... "Rock and Roll Touchdown" -- what the **** is that, man? Stop saying that. Do the Texans even have a go-to local pre-game broadcast that anyone cares about? Does it have great analysis?

Then there's the players we've had over the years that represent the brand. Players I love. But what do they do for the brand?

Andre Johnson? Love him. Uninteresting as they come.
    David Carr? Family man, never said anything. Boring.
    Kubiak? Boring.
    Capers? Boring off the field.
    Schaub? Lulz.

Again, I can go on and on but I actually don't care about this aspect of it. We're known for rostering "good guys", treating them well and promoting from within and I'm fine with that. It's the Texans' 1st party media coverage that sucks.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Some of you guys really seem to be bothered by the fact that the Texans are by the far the most popular team in town. Therefore they have plenty of casual fans who have no actual knowledge of the team. It's exactly like this in most of the county too, but particularly here in Houston. I've always been Rockets first. They were my first team (since 92) and still the team that resonates with me the most. Having said that, I'm extremely invested in the Astros and Texans, and that doesn't take anything away from me as a Rockets fan.

You sound like those d-bags who hate something simply because it's popular with the masses. I hate to break it to you, if the Rockets do as well as we hope, you are gonna have to deal with the incompetent bandwagoners who don't know a personal foul from a team foul. Are you gonna start hating the Rockets for it?

As for the name, the Oilers left before I could care. My first memory was my parents fury at the Buffalo choke job, and when I was ready to start caring they didn't want to be in Houston any more, so f**k them. I care about the Texans, sorry though they may be. The Texans are the only football team I've ever cared about and changing their name would bother me as much as the Astros or Rockets changing theirs.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Red white and blue? That's creative? The name Texans? That's creative?

It's like Bob went to a bunch of lawyers and asked them to make the blandest most non controversial team ever.

Well he succeeded. The team doesn't identify with this city at all. You could move the team to any of other city in Texas and it would be fine. You wouldn't have to change a thing.

Don't even get me started on the "loser" bit.

He's a test.

What would you do if Bob moved the team but we already had someone lined up to start another expansion team here a year later with the Oilers being the name?

13. Raven

Raven Member

I'll stop watching or caring if they ever bring the Oilers name back. With that out of the way, I hate the teams' name. Texans is just lazy branding, pure and simple.

14. Mr. Clutch

Consensus perhaps but not conservative considering his character issues.

Reggie was the consensus #1 and Vince the hometown favorite the other years.

Oilers were more crazy tho

15. Mr. Clutch

One problem with all this.

The brand isn't suffering.

Has there been a game that hasn't sold out? Are they not top five franchise by value?

You don't like them, that's totally fine. I can see that. But the premise is wrong.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Brand is actually growing.

PCL's keep getting more and more expensive.

When mine are sold, my bank account will be very happy.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Most of this is preference and perspective. Some people love the brand, some people hate it. Think about some of the popular brands and imagine if they selected the name today. Patriots? Vikings? Saints? And what's with all the animals? Bengals? Where do they play? India? Who names a football team after a little red bird?

It's hard to pick a name that the city loves, other cities envy, is relevant to the fans, and sells jerseys. The key is how you market it. Say what you want but the Texans have sold Houston on the Texans. Sure the city loves football and would probably still sell out games if they were named the Houston Cockroaches. Now they have to sell it to the rest of the country. The true test is when people from other cities become fans of the team. Marketable players help that, thanks JJ. They tried with Andre and then Foster but those personalities aren't quite as marketable as JJs. Give them some more playoff success and JJ playing (and being) like he is and we'll have bandwagon fans up into Canada.

18. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

the 'Texans' is one of the most uncreative and corny names ever

19. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

herp derp we're the texans!

20. Mr. Clutch

I wish we were named after some stupid animal or vehicle.

That would double the brand value instantly.