1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Dec 29, 2014.

?

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

1. Yes

34.1%
  2. No

65.9%
  1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Hmmm...sounds an awful lot like a set of fans from a school not too far from Houston in regards to a certain former QB and how stupid the Texans were for not taking him.

The Oilers are dead to me. They left. I have been and always will be a fan of the teams with "HOUSTON" on their jersey. I was disappointed in the Texans for not putting a bigger marketing effort in other parts of Texas. There are plenty of Houston ex-pats in central and south Texas...yet, the Texans do nothing in those markets to try and create new fans. Now that I'm back living in Houston, I don't care about that as much and love being surrounded by fans.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Some fans deserve what they get. Patriots and Giants fan boards are accepting members. O'B has this team looking respectable in his first year and fans are still b****in'!

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

The only brand I care about comes before the team name. That is "Houston". Anything else doesn't matter.

1 person likes this.
  4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

it means something. But I'd rather have the Oilers name back. That being said, the team has been around for too long and built too much of a young fanbase now...it's never going back the other way

5. Summer Song Giver

Pats were shiite until they lucked into Brady and Eli is a mouth breather; I'll keep waiting **** face.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This.

NFL is extremely popular, meaning every idiot watches.

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Its all about winning. you win super bowls, or at least play them, and your brand means something.

When the colts moved to Indianapolis, the Colts name didnt mean anything, they kept having losing seasons, including one at 1-15.

then they drafted marshall faulk and got a bit better, they finally went to the playoffs as Indianapolis colts but still nobody outside of Indy, were rooting for them, or recognized the brand, until they drafted manning, and they were close of drafting ryan leaf.

and how many years the detroit lions have been around, and do people outside of detroit, like the lions brand? most people recognize the detroit lions brand as a failure, the only bright spot in their history is barry sanders, and now calvin johnson.

I prefer the texans uniform over the lions uniforms, and they barely changed over 80 years.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I don't give a damn what the Texans mean to people outside of Houston. They are the team that represents my hometown where I still reside and thats all that matters. Its like family. You win and lose with family.

Its funny how all these people want the Oilers back but it didn't help that the Oilers had horribly low attendence (even broke records) the last few years here.

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

But they won SB's! Make up your mind crybaby. You dont even know what your arguing about, just talkin outta your A$$!

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If you don't want to be a texans fan, then don't.

There's no obligation.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This.

12. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

This.

When the Oilers left they ceased being my hometown team. I never cared for the Titans/Oilers BS. I didn't begrudge the players because I rooted for them, but the Oilers were no longer "my" team.

I give Bob McNair big props, in large part because there were a handful of people who believed that Houston could get an expansion team over LA. 700 million reasons later and buffoonery on the part of LA, Houston had an NFL team again, I had a hometown team to root for.

Does the Texans' brand mean anything to me, not really. I associate it with my hometown football team. Has it been difficult to be a Texans' fan? You bet your ass it has been. But that's what makes it all the more sweet when you break through and make the playoffs for the first time.

I think as a fan of the Texans I have seen two franchise players in their short history (Andre Johnson and J.J. Watt). One day when the Texans start their own ring of honor or team HOF, both of those guys will be in it. We haven't had the playoff success that we have wanted, but that's part of being a fan. You can choose to root for the team or not. If you want to bandwagon and jump off when things are wrong, that's fine, there's plenty of people that do that. Like others on this thread I was a fan when the team was "NFL 32". I think the logo and the colors are great, can't say that I love the name (personally I wanted the Generals, in honor of Sam Houston, I saw a great concept online and thought it was great, but whatever it is what it is).

Fact of the matter is that the Texans are my hometown football team, they aren't the institution that Green Bay, Chicago or Dallas are in the NFL, but that's okay, winning changes that. I'll wear my Texans hat, shirt and occasionally jersey and if someone wants to come up and talk about the team, great, if you want to act like you don't watch football, that's fine as well. I love football and the Texans are "my" team.

13. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

True

I'm not as elitist as you but I agree with your sentiments here. Well put.

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wait...the patriots are muslims?

15. TheMountainTop

The team name should represent the city and the players. If i wasn't a Texan then I would feel uncomfortable calling myself one. Honestly, I like the logo and the colors are ok but the name is lame.

16. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Yes I do know.

And you just confirmed my point, they Oilers are just like the Texans, they have "no real success that has created a brand that anyone cares about outside of Houston".

If we were talking about the Rockets I would understand, but the Oilers haven't had the same success.

I can understand this is important to you because it lives in your childhood memories, just like how JJ Watt loves the Mighty Ducks, but thats your only argument you can present to assess that it would be more fitting than the Texans moving forward.

And personally, although I like the colours, I don't like the logo or the name (Texans).

But I do like the idea of being at the beginning of something. If this franchise goes on (hopefully) for another 50+ years you can be that old grumpy man in the back talking about how JJ Watt (now Director of Football Operations, obviously) would have dominated in this era.

#56 BasketballReasons, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This thread is about branding, right? Your brand can be more important than winning IMO. You have the Spurs winning nonstop but a ****ty Dallas team (over the past decade) is worth more money than God. Brands target a set of people. Brands you associate yourself with tend to tell the world something about yourself.

Sprite commercials are different than Red Bull commercials. Samsung commercials disparage Apple. The demographics and marketing strategies of a Walmart vs Target in the same neighborhood can be drastically different. If you shop at Toys R Us you're probably a kid or parent.

So... yeah. I don't care for Ford, Affliction, Abercrombie, McDonalds and a bunch of other ****.

Which ones? The Aggies with Manziel, the Bears with RG3, the Cougars with Keenum, UT with VY or TCU with Dalton? I'm guessing VY since that argument was far and away the most publicized and popular.

18. conquistador#11

unless you lived through the luv ya blue era, i don't see how the oilers did anything . i'm about to be 33 and i associate warren moon to an int in overtime making frank reich a hero. don't ge me wrong, i was sad when they left, even followed mcnair's career in nashville.

it seems like the frustration is more with not having that 'franchise' qb.
    greenbay went through the 70s and all through the 80s sucking til they lucked into favruh. we've just been around 12 years.

i live and die with this franchise, as far as sports go, even though the name does suck and the logo is cheesy. at least it was not a flying dildo with horns.

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I did not confirm your point. Your point was that the Lakers' name does not make sense in LA but the brand is powerful regardless. I said that the reason they never changed their name despite the move was that they were a winner before the move and they are a winner after. That's why they have a powerful brand and that's why the Texans do not. The Texans have never won anything.

Also, the Oilers do not live in my childhood memory. I vaguely remember going to a game vs the bengals but I was 10 when they left Houston. I just recognize the importance of that team to football and to Houston historically. The name is also very fitting to the city of HOUSTON and still represents a city with an emphasis on energy. The logo and colors are also very likable.

Answer this, why did Cleveland want the Browns name back? Do you think they should have picked another name for their team since they never won a Super Bowl? They shouldn't look to the past?

20. Nook

Nook Member

The Oilers and Texans are polar opposites..... but ultimately both end up in the same place.... losers.

The Oilers always went against conventional wisdom in the industry.... going after Warren Moon, using the run & shoot, drafting guys regardless of off the field issues.
    The Oilers always ran their organization fast and loose with guys like Lad Herzog and Jerry Glanville and Bum Phillips... even the owner was fast and loose and did things they wanted. Many of the teams were extremely talented and promising, before flaming out in fantastic, historic proportions.

The Texans always follow conventional wisdom and are atleast a decade behind the cutting edge organizations. The Texans draft safe players and are very careful to avoid players with quaestionable characters. The owner is vanilla and hires coaches and front office men that are conservative and predictable.

It is easy to point at the Texans and how boring they are and miss the Oilers... but while the Oilers were more fun, they were also an epic disapointment.