1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Dec 29, 2014.

?

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

1. Yes

34.1%
  2. No

65.9%
  1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I was 10 when the Oilers were in Houston so they aren't really part of my past. I just think it's a better name, better colors and has some really good years behind it for Houston. AFL championship and some good eras and players.

Saying someone should "root for another team" because they don't really like the brand seems a bit harsh.

Do you know why the team is still called The Lakers? They won 5 championships before they moved to LA. The Texans are not the Lakers. That's the point. They have no real success that has created a brand that anyone cares about outside of houston.

Even though I don't think the name is great, I would not care if the team had done well because I would have an attachment. It's the same thing with the Bobcats changing their name back to the Hornets.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They were an expansion team in 2002, of course they didn't do well overall in the 2000's.....

You can either choose to dwell on the first years of the franchise, or realize where the franchise is today.

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Texans fans unlike other fan base's have different cultures. I crack up going on road trips and dressing nice and treating it like a social event. Then you have the joy and jersey wearing 281ers who are a completely different breed.

It still means something, love them by default

4. Brando2101

What is it today? Worst team last year. This year 66% of their wins came against the worst 4 teams in the NFL and they had the easiest schedule. Luckily, the schedule might be even easier next year but still. I'm not sure how you are defining "the first few years" when the team has only made the playoffs in 2 of 13 years.

"Of course they didn't do well"
    It took the Browns 3 years to make the playoffs and the Jags/Panthers 2. The latter had a way better expansion draft setup but the Browns was identical.

5. MystikArkitect

This is NFL fans. Not just Texans fans.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There weren't the same expansion rules for the Texans that there were for previous expansion teams, things were made a lot more difficult because teams were allowed to protect more players making the pool for the Texans to draw from a lot weaker. Then again, you seem to be going out of your way to complain, so there's no real point continuing this.

The Texans go from being a 2 win team to having a winning season and there's still complaints....lol. Texans fans.

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

wow, you're not a fan at all.

why waste time in a texans forum? nothing better to do?

8. awc713

awc713 Member

This is one of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen on CF. Every fan is different; you cannot--in a vacuum--assume the fan base in the aggregate acts in the in the manner you stated.

To each his own, as you are entitled to your opinion. But for every extreme you took in your paragraph, there are hundreds of thousands of Texans fans who represent the polar opposite.

Maybe you haven't experienced other fan bases. All fan bases have bad apples. Not everyone is intelligent; neither is every fan supremely knowledgeable about the team or sport. Some people like the Texans because they care about people who really do like the Texans. Everyone has their reasons.

But your post is patently false if you're assuming the entire Texans base acts in this manner.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

And, to answer the OP's question, YES.

The Texans brand means a lot to me. It brings the city together. I'm primarily an Astros fan, but Htown is undoubtedly primarily a football city. When our team is in the playoffs, the city is electric. I love it. I live for it. I love the camaraderie of which this town is capable.

It's easy to call out a team that has yet to win it all, but that doesn't mean its brand means nothing. The Texans, in our short history, have had more success than many other teams. We will get to where we want eventually. It takes time, and this team had unfortunate injuries during its championship window. We were legit super bowl favorites/contenders before the 2011 and 2011 injuries re: Schaub, Cush, and Mario.

10. Brando2101

The Texans and Browns had the same expansion rules. They changed it after the Jags and Panthers came into the league. The landscape of the NFL was different for the Texans so they actually picked up some decent players (4 Pro Bowlers, 3 who played for them) in the expansion draft unlike the Browns.

I'm going out of my way to complain? Am I editing other people's posts? What does that even mean? I didn't ask you to post in the thread. You did and I'm responding.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ha. I'm a dick. I apologize for offending some of you guys.

My post was overly dramatic but I'm still sticking by my guns (and yeah, it's more of an NFL fans in general thing). I'm a huge Texans' fan, but what their marketing has accomplished hasn't done anything for me over the past decade. How the general fan base behaves... hasn't done anything for me. I'm not compelled to associate with the Texans brand in any way.

It is what it is. I see a guy in a Rockets shirt... I wanna talk to that guy. Texans shirt? Ill probably pretend I don't watch football. Don't want to spend 3hrs convincing someone Case Keenum isn't the next Tom Brady.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just think it's odd that the Texans more than doubled your win expectations and you are bashing them as a franchise. Anyway, I'm not one to judge so rock on.

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

Grew up a diehard Oilers fan till they were taken away but that was the past. I have no problem with the name, the uniforms, the colors, its different. The Texans rank twelfth in value of all professional franchises and fifth in the nfl. All the whiners will be all over this franchise and their logo once the Texans start to dominate. Everybody loves a winner!

14. Brando2101

I was very happy they did. It made the season a lot more fun and it was an exciting last game to watch. It's hard for me to ignore the fact that the vast majority of our wins were against the worst of the NFL which (not by choice) makes me take the season with a big grain of salt.

Also, I don't feel like I'm bashing the organization. The thread title isn't, "The Texans Suck." Are there critical opinions of the organization? Certainly but that serves the question as to if the name of the team has struck an emotional core with how the history of the franchise has unfolded. It's a neutral question for anyone and opinions about what the franchise has not done are just as relevant as what they have done.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

I get what you're saying, but I think your sentiment is generally true for all NFL teams/fans. Perhaps NFL fans are **generally** not as smart of fans as NBA or MLB fans. I don't know. Maybe there's no correlation. I went to IU, so I saw my fair share of ignorant Colts fans. You wouldn't believe some of the **** they said.

Football is Houston's favorite sport, so your bound to deal with more passionate fans here, especially when their alma maters get involved (hence, Keenum, Manziel, Young).

Sidenote, what if they guy was in a Lin Rockets shirt?

16. Breaker

Breaker Member

I would hope Tennessee gives up their history to us now that Bud is gone, like the Pelicans did for the Hornets

Oilers name + logo is way more original than the Texans... although I prefer the current color scheme

17. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

ah i get it... you stereotype people.

18. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Yeah, it means Houston mutha***** Texas professional football.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And for awhile, Baltimore was clamoring for the Colts name/colors/logo/history back... then they started winning and forgot about it.

Same will happen here. I came from as diehard an Oilers family as there could be... Earl Campbell was a family friend who I have pictures with when I was an infant... and I got hooked on football (and sports, in general) during the Moon era.

Being an Oilers fan ended up being more heartbreaking than rewarding... and then the Oilers leaving was a different form of heartbreak altogether. That relationship just had to end.

Overall, the city is in a better place now with the Texans than they would be with the Oilers/Titans and the Bud Dome (which would likely be due for an upgrade/rennovation or simply a new stadium around now... just like the dome in St. Louis is). Had the Titans actually won their SB, things would have hurt more... but they didn't and have actually sucked more as a franchise during the Texans era (and they're also now one of the lowest revenue/least popular franchises... wouldn't' surprise me if they end up moving again in the future).

In another 10 years, I doubt these threads will continue to populate... the team has grown past the "expansion" phase, and now simply needs to establish themselves year-in/year-out to fully grown into an identity. Remember, the Oilers didn't have a true identity till the Luv Ya Blue years, ... and that took ~ 13 years or so.

20. Summer Song Giver

We're ****ing waiting!