1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Teflon Midget miss shots with HEART?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 1, 2009.

Tags:
?

Missing Midget's missing is mostly

1. mental

52 vote(s)
    73.2%
  2. physical

19 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Do you like that Alston, Head, Hayes for Hinrich proposed deal? That sounds intriguing, I have to admit. I think it might put us over the LT threshold, though.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

With any luck the Bulls could buy him out and he could resign. A 3-for-1 is quite the headache for most GM's. Plus, the Bulls already have four PF's and one guy (Nocioni) that plays like a PF.

3. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Alston + Head + Hayes for Hinrich works according to the realgm.com trade checker

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm not sure where either of you are getting your numbers. B-R.com says he's shooting 40% from the field, and 34.5% from the 3pt in December.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/psplit.cgi?player=brookaa01&year=2009

edit: I can't read. He shot 33.9% from 3s.

#24 durvasa, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Rafer Alston for the month of December:

FG: 35.4%
    3PT: 39.4% (very strong, still behind Brooks)

And for the season:

FG: 36.0%
    3PT: 35.3%

7. TheyCallmeExMan

How vain can you be, quoting yourself?

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I've got 37.2% from the field and 33.9% from three. I think his numbers are right, but his rounding skills are off.

Good question durvasa... I would like that deal, hands down, from a personnel standpoint. I like Hayes and wouldn't want to see him gone necessarily, but I like Hinrich over Alston.

However, with McGrady's fast decline, I think 2010 has become more important than ever to the Rockets. Sad reality is the business side of it, and Yao is the cash cow. Granted T-Mac could be miraculously healed in a month (that's the problem -- you never know), but the Rockets might be in a position where he is toast by then and they have to get another star to put next to Yao (Wade, Joe Johnson, etc.) to stay in contention.

Hayes, Head and Alston are all off the books by then but Hinrich is not (2012). I think that is what would discourage the Rockets. I think they're going to try to improve the team, but not at the expense of 2010. That is just my gut feeling though.

9. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

I've always liked Mo Williams game and thought he would fit in perfect with Yao and T-Mac. He can shoot, pass, and penetrate. I think we should have gotten him from the Bucks for pennies on the dollar but instead they took Cleveland's deal.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

So we are blaming role players again for the shortcomings of the franchise player?

11. BrooksBall

Now for FT shooting:

08/09:
    Brooks: 66/72 = 91.7% (6th in the NBA)
    Alston: 54/68 = 79.4%

So, Brooks has shot more FTs and at a much better clip while playing 10.1 less minutes per game than Alston (33.5 to 23.4).

Career:
    Brooks: 89.3%
    Alston: 73.0%

In summary:

Brooks better shooter? Check.
    Brooks better at penetrating and breaking down the defense? Check.
    Brooks better at getting to the line and making FTs? Check.

Alston least efficient shooter of all starting PGs in the NBA season after season after season? Check. Check. Check.

Alston's defense overrated? Check.
    PG defense overrated, in general? Check.

Alston an average at best playmaker? Check.

Alston's ceiling as an NBA player known? Check.
    And Brooks'? Nope.

If Brooks continues to have a shooting slump for the next several games, does he deserve criticism? Check.

After 2 games (0-4 and 2-12)? Nope.

Does Ray Allen have shooting slumps? Check. (over a stretch of 3 games this season, he went 0-3, 1-3 and 0-3... during another stretch, he went 1-5, 1-3 and 1-8... also had a couple of 1-7s and a 3-12 among other bad shooting nights)

The point? No, I'm not comparing Brooks, as a shooter, to Ray Allen. The point is that even one of the best shooters in NBA history has multiple shooting slumps each season.

12. BrooksBall

Did Rick Adelman have a major say in the drafting of Brooks? Check.

Has Brooks met the expectations for a young player not even halfway through his 2nd season in the NBA? Check.

Does it make sense to believe the guy who has about 50 threads to his credit that have latently homosexual titles over Rick Adelman regarding our need to trade the 6'0 midget? Obviously not.

Does it make sense to add a CF member that posts pictures of European basketball players posing with their shirts off to your ignore list? You make the call.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This thread:

Hey everyone don't look at the overpaid sulking $21 million a year player..........

DD

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Agreed... error in rounding.

I am thinking Morey's plan is to hold on to most of the current cast unless a great deal comes along because, as you noted, these contracts come off the books in 2010 anyway. No long term contracts unless we are talking a real firesale.

I think the team will try to sign Yao at some reduced rate, given that he's still useful, on court and for the business side, but you need the money to spend on other players given his health.

Maybe McGrady, too... or just let him go.... and pursue some younger and healthier stars.

Artest? A reasonable deal wouldn't put much strain on cap room. But they'll also let him go next offseason rather than overpay.

Curious side note... Jeff Van Gundy has been the one last person on Earth expressing confidence in McGrady.

15. DaDakota

Curiousor thought.....JVG has been the guy that got the most out of McGrady.

DD

16. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

i go physical cuz nobody get the 100% Equilibrium that is need to preform at the next level

17. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

ha, ha, ha and things are only getting worse for the clutchfans bbs.

18. BrooksBall

I was using game logs and missed a game. I didn't know they had splits by month. So the percentages in the OP are accurate. I am the poor mathematician.

Regardless, why look at one month over the whole season? You are looking at Brooks' stats right in the middle of a shooting slump. If you select a particular stretch of games for Ray Allen this season, you could also make the weak argument that he is a terrible shooter.

Over a longer span of games, i.e., the whole season, Brooks is shooting better than any guard on the team from the field.

Citing poor shooting for a couple of games as a reason to give up on a guy not even halfway through his second pro season is ridiculous especially when the alternative right now is an average playmaker (arguably worse), overrated defender and the worst shooter in the league over the last several years.

19. DaDakota

You are missing the point, all of Carl Herrera/Van Gundiers posts these days are mocking others posts in the BBS.

This is not a real discussion at all, use your sarcasm detector.

DD

20. BrooksBall

I am well aware of this guy's sarcasm as well as other traits of his...

In this case, on a number of occasions, he has called Brooks a midget chucker without the use of sarcasm. He really does think Brooks sucks and that Alston is the better option.

And if somebody considers Brooks a chucker, what in the world does that make Alston, our other option right now?

What is worse than a chucker?