1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the NFL suck?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by K-Low_4_Prez, Nov 25, 2013.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Last week Trent Dilfer made some noise with his comments about how the NFL product sucks and I have to say I agree with him.

1) The obvious first issue is the water'd down style of play, where defense is frowned upon and contact is illegal.

2) The second issue IMO is there is not enough parody, none of the teams really scare you, there are about 15 teams that could win the Superbowl just because no one team is good enough. While this may keep more fans of teams interested until the end of the season it really makes watching the "great" teams not as exciting.

Anyways what are yalls thoughts? Does the NFL suck? Are you less interested in the NFL this season as opposed to other seasons?

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Maybe. The hits they're calling illegal on defenders are questionable...and many just flat out stupid.

First, it's parity...not parody.

Second, based on what you wrote, there is too much parity. If there are 15 teams that could win the Super Bowl, that is the definition of parity. I think your complaint is that we no longer have the dominant teams. Looked like Denver could be but they've fallen some. New England, everyone's favorite villain, isn't that good. The NFC East is horrible. It would be nice to go back to the 90's and before where there were 4 really good teams that you knew would be in the Conference Championship game.

Or, maybe you did mean parody in that much of the play has become a joke. In that case, at least in terms of the Texans, I agree.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Lmfao yes parity! I really struggled finding the right word for what I was trying to say... I'm a noob I know!

But yeah what I was trying to say is we need dominant teams!

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Parody...lololololol

I like that any team can with it any year and the great teams are not a lock. It's no fun when you already know who's going to win the championship before the season starts. That's what I love about the NFL. Small market teams can thrive just as much as the major market teams.

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Odd, I think the NFL's parity is what most people, myself included, like about the league. I'm generally a bigger basketball fan than football fan, but I find myself watching less and less NBA because I can pencil in the champion at the beginning of the season.

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

the number of commercials makes the product pretty bleh.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The NFL is getting worse, it's probably heading to a BCS playoff system.

8. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

certain teams get calls that other teams dont

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I do agree some parity is good but it's just like (I don't know how well anybody follows soccer) the English Premier League, this year there are tons of teams in it, but that's because none of the teams are "great" you only get to see Mediocre Vs. Mediocre rather than Great Vs. Mediocre or Great Vs. Great. The quality of the play on the field isn't at an elite level!

Like yesterday... The best thing the NFL had to offer was Brady Vs. Manning 20,000, I've seen this before, Brady wins! I wasn't interested at all, but maybe thats just me.

If you look at the MLB, yes there is no cap and the same teams are going to be in the hunt almost every year but when you get to October you know you are seeing the best the world has to offer instead of some chumps sneaking in because thier division sucks.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That seems to be true in every sport...even in some college sports.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's just you. Ratings for these games are out of this world. I posted this article recently:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr...most-watched-shows-for-10th-consecutive-week/

Since Labor Day..and including the new Fall tv shows...The 20 MOST WATCHED SHOWS (not just including sports -- all shows) ARE ALL NFL GAMES!!!

That's insane. This isn't America's favorite sport...it's America's favorite entertainment option. Nothing rivals it.

12. Major

Major Member

So you want to see great vs great, but then you don't like seeing two of the greatest QBs of all time go head to head in an overtime game?

The teams that are in the playoffs are much more certain because you had a 162 game season to reduce luck. But once you get to the playoffs, luck plays a far bigger role.

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

yeah but because they are great they get paid like 1/4 of the salary cap, therefore making thier teams not as good... No matter who wins this years Superbowl they will be nothing compared to the great dynastys of the 70's, 80's, and 90's.

Think about the Ravens last year, they won the Superbowl and were in such a bind with the cap that they had to just let alot of thier homegrown talent leave because they had to pay the QB a quarter of the cap!

I'm just saying take off the cap and the NFL could be amazing! They make enough money to spend with the great soccer clubs of the world!