1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Media have Licence or Even an Obligation to Question an Elderly Leader's Mental Capacity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 8, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why are people turning this into a Trump thread

You're obsessed

Senility is a really serious issue

This thread isn't political

Trump doesn't speak well so what

You still shouldn't oke about senility

This topic arose in the Comey Hearing thread

#21 pgabriel, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Plenty of threads to argue about Trump

Good Lord

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Everyone has an off day from time to time. If its the norm instead... well, just lower the bar and it's back to normal. Already done so for the most powerful position in the US so there you go

pgabriel likes this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I've been noticing this with McCain for the last six months

He is constantly speaking slower

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While McCain's line of questioning did spark many questions about his health and mental acuity since it did seem he was unable to follow Comey's very clear testimony, part of me wonders if he wasn't just playing ""doddering" in order to result in confusion and plant the seed that there was some hypocrisy in how the Hillary case was handled and the Trump case. So in fairness to the long-serving Senator and war hero I am a bit more willing to give him a pass on this. I believe his advancing age was an issue in his last re-election against Kirkpatrick. And I suspect there will be many that focus even more on it in 2018.

I suspect Trump supporters are actually as anxious to push him out as Democrats. He has been a vocal critic of Trump over time. And while he usually takes the weak way out and votes party line, I bet Trump would like McCains voice silenced. Course, I am not suggesting that is the basis of the OP...

But hey, gotta give the old man props, he was able to snag this... and not based on his own looks, that's for sure. Always had a thing for Cindy (especially in his presidential campaign).

[​IMG]

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

“Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart —you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you’re a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.”

Senile? Maybe some form of mental r****dation. Who knows.

I do find it hilarious that idiots like you actually believe that how Trump speaks and is incapable of organizing thoughts into a coherent message provides no insight to his overall intelligence and competence as president.

#26 fchowd0311, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump has been an idiot his entire life. He could get late stage neurosyphilis and advanced Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease and I probably wouldn't notice. That is the clown that the American people inexplicably wanted to run the country. He's never been anything more than he currently is.

John McCain, on the other hand, was a pretty sharp guy not that long ago. I didn't agree with him often, but I never really thought he was lost or confused. Maybe he is still really sharp and just had a bad day, but what I saw the other day was not what I'm used to from him.

fchowd0311 and B-Bob like this.
  8. fchowd0311

And lol at this thread not being political.

If you truly intended that you wouldn't have posted this in D&D.

across110thstreet likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

OP, you answered your own question.
    Why is this turning into a Trump thread?
    Because your topic is important and seems totally relevant to our most influential elected official.

If McCain is slipping, that's unfortunate for Arizona kind of. If POTUS has issues, especially this rash random POTUS, the planet has a big fat problem.

Should have put McCain in thread title but the general question is of course about Mr DT.

across110thstreet likes this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The whole point more than anything is it's a sensitive issue

The Reagan's seem to never have forgiven people for talking about in his last couple of years

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I find it amusing you think Trump is a bumbling fool who has trouble tying his own shoe strings but you think McCain was playing the crowd?

I have never liked McCain. To me, he exposed the Republican party in the 2008 election for who they really are...a party more interested in getting votes than actually promoting policy that actually mattered...and he played right along with it. Interestingly enough, this is the same scenario for the Democrats and Hillary in the 2016 election.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Trump is a bumbling fool. Would McCain look as completely foolish with the fiasco Trump is making of the Qatar issue? Trump would have consulted with his Secretary of State... and made sure they were on the same page on this. I didn't vote for McCain versus Obama, but I would have voted McCain over Trump without a second thought. Hard to not believe you are anything but a Trump fan if you would prefer Trump over McCain.

btw, you didn't answer the questions: which state are you in if not Texas? And did you vote for Gary Johnson as you implied?

13. fchowd0311

Bumbling fool might be a understatement.
    "
    And by the way, China isn’t abiding by anything. They’re buying all of our coal; we can’t use coal anymore essentially. They’re buying our coal and they’re using it. Now when you talk about the planet, it’s so big out there — we’re here, they’re there, it’s like they’re our next door neighbor, right, in terms of the universe. Miss Universe, by the way, I made a great deal when I sold — oh did I get rich.

(Laughter)

That was a great deal. You know, they broke my choppers on that. They said he talks about illegal immigration, we’re not going to put him on television. First of all, Univision is being sued like crazy; you wouldn’t believe it. And NBC, I made a great deal with them, just like an amazing deal, far more than I would have ever gotten — I mean, I made an unbelievable deal — far more than I ever would have gotten if I said I think I’m going to sell it if times were normal, right? Isn’t it amazing the way that stuff can work out?

But I love Miss Universe and I love the universe. But think of it. So China is spewing up all this stuff and we’re holding back. And with China — you know, we signed these agreements where we have to do it now, they have to do it within 30 or 35 years. I don’t think they’re going to be doing it.

It’s like Japan. If somebody attacks Japan, we have to immediately go and start World War III, OK? If we get attacked, Japan doesn’t have to help us. Somehow, that doesn’t sound so fair. Does that sound good?"

“Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart —you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you’re a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.”

TheFreak likes this.
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I do not prefer Trump over McCain. I am only stating that I dont think Trump as a bumbling fool as many others believe to be. I think he is a guy who really doesnt give a **** what others think (which is very bad thing for a president) and I believe he says and does many things for reactionary purposes (again, another very bad thing for a president).
    If Trump actually does some positive things for this country (which its becoming more and more unlikely as the days go by) he could get my support in the next election. I am not holding my breath.

Im in Florida, and yes, I voted for Johnson.

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

OP, Trump is fair game for the title of the thread and it is absolutely applicable as his psychology, fitness, and mental acumen have been called out or questioned by paid expert analysts for media outlets.

If you wouldn't have limited the subject to McCain, I think it it's a very good topic to discuss regarding the media and their diagnosis of elderly officials.

Sorry your thread isn't going your way.

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Giving presidential candidates a test like they do for citizenship would be a great idea: branches of government, the Constitution, etc.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Justice Ginsburg's mental health is superb. I would question your mental health before I would think to question her own. As for Senator McCain, I saw him question Director Comey and I just hope that he was having a bad day, as I have a great deal of admiration for the man. Perhaps he was asked by the Chairman to go "easy" during public testimony and to save his tough questions for the closed session of the committee. After all, he was there as a guest. I hope that was the case, at any rate.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's more than just for reactionary purpose - I think that's just a side effect and not a purposeful tactic. He doesn't care what is true, what is accurate, what is reality, what is moral, what is effective, what is dangerous, what is smart, ... He just doesn't give a damn about anything except for himself. See Qartar as latest example.

He is not a fool in that he is very consistent to not caring about anything other than for himself and his family.

19. conquistador#11

We need to cut senator Mccain some slack. He had a good excuse for his loopy speech. Stayed up watching the diamondbacks! that's what a TRUE american does. how many of you, age 30 or higher can function after watching the stros west coast road games? Time zones are evil obstructionists, man.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Ginsberg stepped out on her own and challenged Kaepernick

It was impressive