1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Kidd trade help us vs Dallas?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by intergalactic, Feb 13, 2008.

1. kwng

kwng Member

As I said before the other thread, Kidd is good but his window is closing fast and if Stackhouse is back then Dallas will be a significant better team. NJ is the winner long term as they got Harris who is young and will be a good PG in future (he is already good now). Harris will replace Kidd in NJ and can contribute if not as good as Kidd. They also get good centers, like Diop and others. We need to get Stackhouse by giving them MJ, a back up PG for Harris. If Stackhouse is not happy, he can be inactive or benched similar to MJ now. I just don't want that Stackhouse to be Dallas.

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

im glad we don't have to deal with the speed of devin harris or the 3 pt. shooting of jerry stackhouse...we can easily contain jason kidd...

3. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I agree if Kidd was all that still his team would be at least above .500 in the Leastern conf.
    But there again, this move may reinvigorate him to an all-star level of play that we havent seen from him in about 5 or 6 yrs.

And let us remember he has been known in the past to light the Rockets up.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Kidd of 2002, 2003, MVP type of player.

Kidd now, uninspiing.

5. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Ok point taken. I admit I haven't watched Kidd a lot recently, so I'll take your word on the leadership.

BTW, nice sig change! :D

6. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

They lost there only good low post defender in Diop. Now who will guard all of the WC's elite big men once Dampier (and he will) gets in foul trouble. Dirk and Brandon Bass don't sound like a good option vs Tim Duncan, Shaq, Gasol, Yao, Boozer, ect.

Even if they get Stack back, they will still desperately lack in the department that the west has just received a massive boost in, the interior game.

7. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

They just singed Chuck Norris to 10 day contract. He can hamdle Yao and Shaq :D

8. bronx43

bronx43 Member

Just because Jason Kidd is putting up triple doubles like Kwame puts up single singles doesn't mean he's having a good year. The numbers clearly show that his shooting % has dropped significantly this year (36.6%) and his turnovers are also above his average (3.6). The only reason he gets his rebounds is because the NJ big men can't get a rebound even if the ball fell onto their palms. Expect his rebounding to drop SIGNIFICANTLY in Dallas. Oh, and since Dallas runs so many isolation plays, his assists will drop as well.

9. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i think the best part of this trade, the gasol trade, and the shaq trade is that it may (please god) get some houston fans to finally stop whining about rudy freaking gay and his potential.

notice that other teams that care about winning are giving up athleticism and potential (LA gives up kwame+crit+picks, PHX gives up matrix, Dallas gives up harris+diop+picks) for more stable commodities that help you win, like leadership, defense, size, rebounding, experience, etc.

harris for kidd strikes me as the supersized version of gay for battier. sure, dallas loses out in the long run if harris keeps developing, but this trade should make them a better team right now, should add commodities that the team lacks, and help with half court playoff style execution and the maximization of each posession, both offensively and defensively.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

When all said and done, Dallas has this lineup

Kidd
    Terry
    Howard
    Dirk
    Dampier

Still scary.

11. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

Well 4 out 5 are scary for other teams...Dampier is just scary for Mavs fans...but he is the self proclaimed best center in the leauge behind Shaq...

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You're right, but again how great will it be next year and 4 years down the road.

13. littlefish_220

If Stackhouse is coming back, this is not a bad deal for Mavs; Otherwise, they lost too much depth for Kidd and it is a really bad deal.

I don't understand why Nets will buyout Stackhous. With Harris at 1, Jefferson and Carter at the wing, Diop at the 5, Stackhouse as the sixth man. Don't forget that they have a decent 4 coming back from injury. It would be a very competitive team in the east.

There is no way Nets could rebuild with contracts of Cater and Jefferson. So they should fight for playoffs.

14. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

I'm just wondering, if that's the case, why Mavs let Nash go years ago. Nash was only asking sth like 10 mil now they have to pay, how much Kidd's contract again?

Oh, and don't tell me that Kidd is way better than Nash, noone is going to buy that.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You (U) clearly have not watched Jason Kidd and Devin Harris this year. Harris is a better player than Kidd right now. He's a better shooter and plays much better defense. He's younger, quicker and cheaper, too.

16. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I don't think so, given the fact that the Mavs had Nash, but couldn't get over the top.

17. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

hindsight is 20/20. at the time, nash was not an mvp, had not really accomplished much, and was just a defensive liability with a back problem that could shoot the hell out of the ball.

remember he didnt even get max money to go to phx.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Kidd for Harris ALONE was not a good trade:

LINK

2007-2008

J. Kidd - 16.07 PER

D. Harris - 18.66 PER

'Nuff said.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Mavs got smarter, but they lost a lot of quickness and penetration abilities.

I think it was a bad trade for Dallas and honestly, if Tmac comes completely around, we are the only team with our chemistry fairly intact.

DD

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Some people are confusing "better matchup" with "better team".

Assuming Dallas gets Stackhouse back, the Mavs are a better team. This raises their odds of winning the championship a bit this year and likely next(after that probably not).

That said, the Rockets now also have a better shot at beating the Mavs in a 7 game series with Diop and Harris gone. So they're an easier matchup for us now.

The Suns/Mavs trades definitely helped the Rockets, whom I originally thought had absolutely no chance of winning in the playoffs. Now, I feel the Rockets are simply slight underdogs against them.