1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Shane Battier become another Chuck Hayes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mms, Jan 31, 2009.

1. mms

mms Member

What's the last time a starter ended up with ZERO point in a game? Chuck in our 06 playoffs? It seems he is not willing to take shots and he misses open shots. Also his hook shot is gone. Sure he is a good defense player, so is Chuck. last year after RA put Luis for Chuck, we got a 22. I just wonder what if RA put Artest for Shane?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Honestly, Shane has gone WAY downhill this year....he seems to have lost a lot of his offensive game.

It may be the ankle but whatever, it is clear he is not the same player.

DD

3. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

shane doesnt shoot as much ):

4. zilches

zilches Member

i think he is washed...only 3 shot attempts in 34 minutes? WTF? he pulled a few rebounds, but he isn't even bench material at this point

5. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Watching him the last 5 games you can clearly see how much slower he is laterally. He's been also slow on his close outs and if the offensive player gives him a pump fake and drives Shane just can't recover. It has to be the ankle, or maybe his age caught up to him this offseason.

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I am afraid yes...

His shot doesn't look as good as it did last season. He is not active AT ALL. I missed his post ups.

And what's even worse his defense ain't that good anymore. That foot injury really slowed him down.

7. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Battier and Alston are much bigger problems than any of the big 3. luckily brooks and wafer are around to help when they aren't contributing on the offensive end.

8. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

I hope its just a slump... we need last season's battier on the floor..

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

it's not a slump when his offense becomes more non-existent each and every game. he is showing no signs of improvement.

hopefully when tracy comes back healthy enough, wafer will still keep his minutes and we decrease battier's minutes.

battier's minutes should only be increased if we play great scorers (ala we increase chuck hayes' minutes when we play the elite PFs)

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/battish01.html

Battier is shooting worse on 2s, a bit better on 3s, scoring about a point less per 36 minutes than he did last year. Offensively, it's really not much difference from an efficiency point of view.

He doesn't shoot that often, and when you take few shots a game, you are going to have what looks like "slumps" which are simply normal fluctuations in shooting luck.

He's still slowed by the injury, but overall, the Rockets are still generally better when he's on the court than when he's off.

11. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

No, Battier is not another Chuck Hayes. That is somewhat of an insult to Hayes. One way of looking at it is that Battier has become Chuck Hayes minus the defense, strength, and rebounding. First, Battier's defense, which was overrated to begin with, has become poorer. Next, most rebounds he gets just come right to him. Last, he's not a very strong player. Hayes excels in all 3 of these aspects of the game. Offensively I think the comparison is justified. Shane is just playing way too much. We have other options that are better on the bench. I would even say those other options make Battier expendable. Lets see what team would be dumb enough to give us a lottery pick for him.

12. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Hmm... So according to your logic, Daryl Morey and Rick Adelman are both dimwits? Battier plays 35 minutes for a reason. Just like Rafer, he might shoot 1-8 all the time, but he's hellufa lot better than AB at getting the ball to Yao. This is just irrational hate.

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I haven't watched this game (to fathom what could have prompted this thread), but Battier's team offensive stats this year are OUTSTANDING -- no other player on the squad increases the team's offensive efficiency more than he does.

14. zilches

zilches Member

Wow! That is one cold shot...honest as can be though!

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

maybe b/c he's on the court with our stars all the time? let yao, tracy, AND artest go down and shane is the leader now and see what happens.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

One thing in his defense, I think he benefits more from playing with Tmac than anyone else....

DD

17. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

LEARN SOME BASKETBALL.

18. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Exactly.

I'm really scared right now.

19. GMAC

GMAC Member

It doesn't matter if Battier scores a single point. They still HAVE to guard him, especially when he spots up for 3s. Chuck, they leave him completely wide open. It's almost insulting.

20. zilches

zilches Member

What is this conclusion based upon? OUTSTANDING...i can be outstanding if it is based on unselfishness...just never take a shot

The thread is based upon his zero contribution to the team offensively.