1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Rick Adelman seem pretty clueless about this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ambrose86, Nov 25, 2008.

?

How confident are YOU in Rick Adelman?

1. Extremely...look at the 22 game win streak last yr

123 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. At least give him the full season to prove himself

68 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. leaning towards firing him

18 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Fire this guy asap

8 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

I thought about this as I was reading the following blog by Feigen:
    http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2008/11/south_beach_can_wait_rockets_s.html

and of course, there's the JVG talk during one of the ESPN games that seem to have the greatest effect on how our system has changed that causes us to hit a groove.

Finally, I recall during one of the timeout interviews, when Adelman was asked why the rockets were struggling shooting the ball, Rick reponded: " I wish I knew...."

I dunno, I don't seem to think that Adelman is the smartest guy who could be leading this team.

2. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

The coach isn't a dictator and depends on the players to step up. Its ultimately up to the players.

He does do a good job of playing the guys who are playing well and benching those who are sucking it up.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm not a Adelman fan,nor am I a JVG fan either. Every coach has their own philosophy which determines their outlook towards the team. IMO Adelman likes to see players work through problems on their own while giving guidance when needed.

The statement from JVG mentions only one significant factor during this short winning streak. He is not the coach right now and does not know the inner workings of the ball club.

Lots of players have returned and some significant additions have taken place along with the important absence of Deke and Battier plus a number of other injuries. I think Adelman is trying to figure out how to make the players work as a team and that is going to take a long time.

I'm not implying that he is the right or wrong person for the job,despite having some reservations when it comes to bringing the team together under pressure.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

What is your opinion of the OP's thoughts and concerns?

A. READING TOO MUCH INTO IT

B. READING TOO MUCH INTO IT

C. READING TOO MUCH INTO IT

D. READING TOO MUCH INTO IT

C. STOP READING TOO MUCH INTO IT Because YOU'RE READING TOO MUCH INTO IT

6. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I'm a big believer of Adleman. He's done as good of a job as he can of trying to implement some of his plays, while coaching to our player's strenghts, and going back whenever necessary to the good old post up Yao or high pick n roll with TMAC. Implementing some of the high post is just difficult when u dont have decent passing big men. I could've sworn last game there were a couple times our guards should've had layups, but the big men were weary of passing the ball. But overall, he adjusts quite well.

Also, I like the fact he trusts his younger players, and rides out the bench when they are performing well. The fact that we might've even beat Utah last year w/o Yao, only if Rafer were healthy alone is deserving of an A for me.

When Shane comes back, Barry starts hitting his shots, and Brooks keeps developing, we'll look like a good offensive team. I say maybe around 40-50 games, we'll be hitting our stride.....

Oh, not to mention we have not lost a step on our D from the JVG days helps !! :cool:

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

convoluted thread and subsequent poll.

thread title: Does Adelman seem clueless?

poll question: How confident are you in Adelman?

my answer to reading the thread title is NO
    my answer to the poll question is YES

my final thought on the matter?

for whatever reason, I don't think this was necessary

8. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're reading way too much into things.

I think Rick Adelman is a great coach for this team. He still wants this team to play defense. I thought when we hired him, he would want the team to not focus on defense. There are many of interviews where he states on how the team needs to focus on the defensive end. I too agree with him.

The only problem I see is that he hasn't gotten the players to buy into his system. Whether that is his fault or not I can't say. I do know he doesn't have the players that he had when he was with the Kings.

This team is passing the ball better. I wouldn't say that his offense is being played but I think we are seeing more of the Hakeem offense. Which is really great to see.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Even though tmac is playing like a shell of his former self, this team is still very watchable which is more than I can say for JVG.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

What is the deal with terrible threads being started today?

First, the Brad Miller trade thread, now this.

10-5 without Battier. Tough schedule and 10 games on the road

1 star by me

11. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I don't feel comfortable picking any of the poll options. Why? They're either too reactionary or responding to the reactionary statements, which should warrant no response.

It could be that his biggest strength as a coach could play into a weakness in the form of letting the players play. Should the players, all talented in their own right, automatically work well together? Some coaches would micromanage and make players change how they play, and that's at the detriment of what comes natural to them.

The thing is, with a roster like this which has been so closely molded to the strengths of our personnel over time, a coach shouldn't need to micromanage. It seems like our rosters natural tendencies all play into what we should want to see.

As far as Yao not getting touches, that's always an easy fix. Entry passes look better this year than I can ever remember. Wouldn't we rather the team gets time to gell and figure out what is more or less effective so that when we can't go to Yao consistently for whatever reason (fronting, injury) that we are comfortable with the other guys running the show in concert?

For us, the inside out approach is the most effective, but it's also a rigid way to go about things. We need fluidity. An air game, for when the ground game isn't getting us there that day.

12. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Honestly, I had a flashback to high school English reading your post. In the past, I've quoted things that really have nothing to do with the topic. If you notice, everyone has a different style of speaking and that's just how Adalmen speaks.

13. Pocket Rockets

every coach has made these statements before. quit trying to assume he doesnt know anything because he cant explain the hot shooting.

worthless thread

14. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

i voted for the full confidence in RA but sometimes it does seem that RA is clueless with the responses you listed ... i remember him saying that stuff and it kinda frustrated me.

i think rick adelman was just really set on doing the exact same offense that was so efficient back in sacramento but having tmac and yao on this team means that that kinda offense in sac can't be done here that exact way without hindering us from utilizing our greatest strengths in tmac and yao. last year, RA realized that one year wasn't enough time to integrate the offense fully obviously and thus just played to our strengths and for some reason we got a 22 game win streak.

my theory is that RA is conflicted in whether to stay the course and see if our team can really learn the offense FULLY (with brad miller being that passing center from the high post that was automatic from mid range, and with artest and tmac on the wings doing fantastic cuts, spacing of floor with guys like barry, battier, etc.) or to do what he did last year and combine all of our greatest strengths (yao's dominance in low post ... tmac's playmaker ability ... after all the sac team did not have a player like tmac who could create like he does). i too am not sure which way to go ... our hakeem era like offense that has been run recently is interesting ... i'm not sold that it can win us a championship quite yet but it is the best offense we've had this season. i need to see yao DOMINATE every opposing center before i can have the confidence that I had in Dream. There shouldn't be a game where he can't dominate a kendrick perkins or even the better centers like dwight howard, andrew bynum, and al hortford ...

i don't see anything wrong with the offense being run now but would hope to see a rejuvenated tmac. it is true that he doesn't havta dominate like the tmac we know used to ... for us to win a good amount of games but come playoff time (and the deeper we go), we're going to need him playing his absolute best he can. he's not our #1 option anymore but he's this team's xfactor ... he's what will be the key player that takes us over the hump or not. love the guy and i just think all this wear and tear (physically and mentally) is draining him. im liking his 3pters a lot better this year though ... it's become obvious that he is most efficient on those momentum fast break ones ...

in my opinion i honestly don't think its possible to expect this current makeup of our team to play the exact game the sac team played ... yao's greatest strength has to be utilized and the dream fan in me thinks that championships are won by defense and a solid to excellent low post game (offensively and defensively). I think RA will eventually set on mixing the best of two worlds ... using tmac and yao's strengths in a way that they're most effective while also mixing in his trademark offense.

if i remember correctly RA's old Sac offense was so efficient because of extremely skilled passing, very consistent shooting from the perimeter (mid to long range) by all players ..., and players completely dedicated to sharp relentless cuts. didn't hurt to have shooters like peja and bibby from 3 pt land (not to mention bibby's playmaking skills when needed and efficient pick and pop passing), passing big men who were good mid range shooters and fairly decent from 3 land like miller and webber (factor in webber's all star caliber talent in low post and ball tricks), not to mention a shane battier like player in doug christie who could hit the 3 and guard the best player on the opposing team ...

you compare that to the current rockets team and you see a lot of differences ...
    -rafer is no bibby at all. bibby was always a scoring, shoot first point guard (and rightfully so with his talent) that sacrificed a lot to play adelman's offense and did quite well. rafer is a pass first, streaky shooter with a better defensive tenacity, and sometimes questionable shot selection ... but most fans will trust the him with the ball in his hands to run the team well and he does just that (with a fair amt of frustration from the fans in the stated weaknesses).
    -shane and doug christie are pretty darn similar ... but part of me thinks shane is better offensively but never utilized his skills to the maximum potential. but ya, always guard the best players ... consistent 3 pt shooters (i think christie did this ... ? maybe i'm wrong).
    -tmac and peja are definitely not similar at all. one's a pure shooter ... a dang good one at that ... one was regarded as one the league's most talented scorers ever. both do share a similarity in that neither really play much d but tmac can always turn it up when he chooses to and when he believes he can shut down his opponent. when he's guarding someone he doesn't think he can stop, he usually always gets beat (kobe). also tmac's playmaking is top notch whereas peja has absolutely none of that but cuts very hard and efficient ...
    -scola and webber ... they have a few similarities ... i still dont fully trust in scola's mid range shot (seems to be much more consistent this season though :D), but they play similar games, with the exception that scola is more crafty (finesse wise) in the post and webber being just more talented overall. the guy seems to be underrated in just how talented he was. webber's passing was incredibly good if i remember. scola's not bad either.
    -yao and miller are too completely different players. basically yao is a superstar and the cornerstone of our team as of now. brad miller was a glorified role player ... and an extremely efficient one at that. he was regarded as an all star one year or so i believe but ... he was never on yao's level. it's not that yao couldn't learn to play brad miller's game as i think he has the skills and discipline to develop the kind of passing and open mid-long range jump shooting that brad miller had.
    -bench ... don't remember much of the sac bench haha. i think RA relied heavily on his starters ... but i know for a fact that the old sac team didn't have an aaron brooks ...

i just noticed i compared with the pre-artest sac team ... but basically the same ... basically just replace peja with artest and compare tmac and artest and we all generally know what kinda players they are.

i think a good combo of the inside/outside game with yao's low post game, and tmac and artest wing post isos (but goodness ... not too many ...), tmac/yao pick and rolls, aaron brooks/landry pick and roles/pops (thanks to landry's adding that great mid range shot), a few post ups for shane and scola (if only when mismatched ...), hardcore fast breaking (rafer leads it best) at any opportunity when yao is out ... , (btw would like to see rafer drive more and be able to finish like he was during that one stretch that one year) and hopefully just generally good outside shooting as our talent will always leave room for open jumpshots ...

i've been proposing that
    1)our starting 5 be built on the inside/outside lineup centered on yao and then when yao is taken out,
    2)make time for tmac and artest to be on both wings and basically play it like we did with the twin towers of sampson and olajuwon in the post ... as both tmac and artest will pretty much always have a mismatch ... while spreading the floor with shooters like barry and brooks and having an energetic big guy like landry out there doing clean up and cutting for dunks on the double teams ... when tmac and ron come out,
    3) make aaron brooks the main playmaker with him and landry doing pick n rolls and having barry out there to spot up ...
    4) also fast break at any opportunity when yao is out ... if that means possibly utilizing different players that actually run ... maybe do so.
    -of course all of these tendencies would depend on our opponent's defensive tendencies and how well they're doing offensively.

extremely long post ... heh sorry guys. i figure since i don't post that often, that i make my posts count :).

15. redao

redao Member

Adelman is amazing. I don't understand most of his stuff but he can always get you some good results.

16. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Adelman is very shrewd. That clueless routine is just an act to keep the media at bay. Think about it- he has over 800 wins and 60% win pct. The guy has been around to long, he just puts the heavy burden on the players to respond. The mere thought of getting rid of hiim has no solid basis.

17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I got to say some fans here are clueless. Last time I checked, rockets are second in the western conf in the standing, we are also second in the total giving up points just behind Boston, and Yao and Artest are just starting to play better, and we are still missing a starter. What more should I say.

18. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Rick Adelman is a very capable coach. You seem to forget that he won 22 games in a row. 5 games could be a fluke. 22 is not.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

OP are you talking about Rick Adelman coach of the 1st place (10-5) Houston Rockets who had a 22 game winning streak last season or are you talking about someone else ?

20. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Here's the deal, This Rockets team is playing better now than any other time since Adelman has been here, except during that 22 game win steak. Remember the start last year?.. it sucked and everyone was questioning coach, including me. Rick spends more time building his team fundamentals in the way he wants them to play, rather than have that win now attitude the JVG had. JVG wanted his team to win every game at all cost, because he wanted home-court advantage in the playoffs. This would result in certain players being played too many minutes and ran the same boring plays over and over. Where as Rick would rather his team be as strong as it can be come playoff time.This team hasn't even started truly clicking on all cylinders yet.

The thing with Rick is he uses his players to their strengths and this is why he has Yao back down in the blocks. Tracy is playing like crap so Yao is the go to man. Personally I like the inside out play, but I hated the conservative style that JVG played. Jeff wanted to micromanage every play every minute. Rick let's his players be players.

So keep the Inside-Out game because that best suits Yao and let the second unit runs the legs off the other team. We might loose some defense and that sucks, but we add easier scoring opportunities. The defense will get tighter as the year goes on. We are in first place so it's kinda hard to call for coaches head so early, and in a few months you guys will forget all about this.

BTW, Tracy is the one that hasn't reached our expectations. That's not coaches fault.