1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does race matter in sports???

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jamalccc, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Lynus, great post. :)

2. rocketsball2003

Lynus302, you said it

and i would bet that you say bowling is not a sport too huh... and if you do go bowl 5 games a day for 3 days straight..... you will be crying momy by the end of day two

but as far as racing... formula 1 is the best there is, and the best driver is german...

3. rocketsball2003

uh didnt anyone tell you he is a rookie... rookies never get the calls

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Seems to me that areas with higher competition raise the bar. And that over time that bar becomes so high the other countries or races appear less althletic.

5. rvpals

rvpals Member

Race doesn't matter at all. Genetic gives athlete certain advantages.

Even in one race, there can be many people excel in many different things.

For example, the chinese dominates Ping Pong. There's some chinese atheles win the world record in Marathon. There's some that plays BBall. They wins diving, not long ago in swimming too. Some wins the olympic shooting. etc,etc.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

In other news today, it was announced that the Chucky Brown Fan Club has a new President after the ouster of their old one...;)

7. montelwilliams

Tiger Woods is actually 50% Asian, 50% black. Where does that put him?

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think your basic premise is right. You say the same thing that Jimmy the Greek said, and I never understood why people were so upset and I'm black. If you think of what slavery was, obviouly richer slave owners bought stronger slaves, men and women. I also saw a documentary on slavery two weeks ago on HBO, where different black actors read accounts from actual slaves, and one of the accounts was by a woman whose master wanted her to have sex with this particular slave because he thought they would produce strong kids.

I think people got mad in general a Jimmy the Greek, because he wasn't qualified to speak on the subject, and blacks in general just didn't want to hear something so degrading about our past. But I don't think you are Jimmy were way off.

9. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Well it seems like most of the successful players are now foreigners. They are invading the NBA. I wouldn't say they are more athletic than Americans.....but maybe they are different mentally.They practice a lot. That's why most are like automatic in shooting. They may be a little more intelligent too. Just assuming...broadly. Not a fact.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

100% human.

11. johnheath

johnheath Member

Race is a social construct. There is no such thing as a black race or white race. Human beings are better grouped into hundreds (or thousands ? ) of tribes instead of three "races". Genetically, the greatest variation in any given population on Earth is in the birthplace of all humans- central Africa.

This means that if two "black" guys and one "white" guy are in a room, we have no idea which two people are closest genetically.

Remember- skin color, facial features, height, etc.. are all variables that are determined by environment over 100,000+ years of evolution.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

tiger isn't just asian...isn't he thai?

and being a simple athlete doesn't really factor into golf. golf is a mind game more than anything else. thats why he whips phil mickelson's ass. phil's head isn't into it as much as tiger's.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What about the accounts where the master raped his slaves and sold off his eventual children because they were one drop black?

What race in Tiger Woods is guiding his put?

Race and genetics are not intertwined. Scientists have not found any identifiable markers relating to race.

Thank you for getting it right.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Are these scientific facts or just your own opinions?

BTW, by your logic, gender is a social construct, the difference between a human being and a monkey is a social construct, etc. . .

16. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

With proper training, anyone of any race has the potential to be the best at _______ sport, but you've simply GOT to factor genetics, and thus race, into it at least somewhat.

Do any of you guys really think that a black American ever won't hold the title of World's Fastest Man? Like I said before, I certainly think that it is possible, but my money is on the black guy for that title, the Kenyan in the marathon, and the Scandinavian in the World's Strongest Man competition.

17. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Quite a few scientists believe race is a social not scientific construct. While there are various genetic markers that together determine the external features (eye color, hair color, skin color, lip size, body types, etc.) we socially equate with race--which are present in every "race", there is no race gene. There is a gender gene, though.

This past December. A group of Brazilian scientists published the results of a study attempting to genetically distinguish race amongst Brazilians. They were unscuccessful in identifying a race gene. Many media outlets covered their results but it got little public acknowledgement given that there were more immediate stories of concern.

For the most part, race is a myth perpetuated by fallacious reasoning about the relationship between certain illness and skin color and perpetuated by a need to explain inequality in various areas of life (The Bell Curve, etc.). Athleticism--like intelligence, material acheivement, etc.--is not merely the result of a gene. There are many other factors that impact a person or groups prowess.

#37 JeffB, Mar 5, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2003
  18. Invisible Fan

I thought you were saying that Black Americans in general are stronger today because of slavery and some ritualistic form of breeding. But today there are so many Black Americans that have some white in them that would make that assumption wrong. There were Freemen in the North and house slaves that probably did a fraction of the work the slaves in the field had done.

Jimmy the Greek and Robbie's comments make the issue look simplistic and is shrouded in the realm of pseudoscience. Survival wasn't about the strongest, but it was also about having the ability to survive.

If I misunderstood what you were trying to say, then I apologize. I also want to apologize if my tone was too aggressive.

19. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

"But today there are so many Black Americans that have some white in them that would make that assumption wrong."

This is not necessarily wrong. This is simply a process of colonization. Scientists would cross breed flowers and as a result, the new flower will gain the BEST of both breeds. So in your case, the new individual actually becomes stronger. This is the case for dogs/horses etc. as well.

20. Invisible Fan

I don't think hybrid vigor applies in every case of interacial children, if at all.

What if I told you that there were more genetic variation between two people within a race than two people across the racial lines? It's in the links that JeffB provided.

Hybrid vigor generally applies when populations have been inbred so many times that they are genetically similar within the population. When one organism from one inbred population is introduced with another organism from a different inbred population, their children who survive gets the best of both worlds.

Humans have been migrating for many thousands of years that there are several populations rather than the popular definition of race we use today.