1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Phillips Rivers do anything for you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah, as I said earlier, I don't think age played a factor in Schaub's demise at all. Heck, he was pretty good for 3.5 games in 2013, too. But I have always wondered if the foot injury got progressively worse and worse in 2012 and, as his game regressed and fans turned up the intensity, he started to cave mentally.

I don't know, man; the rapid decline of Schaub fascinates the heck out of me. I don't think I've ever seen a QB almost literally lose everything overnight. He seems like a tailor-made excpetion.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

lol. well done. I know it's in jest, but I will anyway point out that the difference was that Schaub didn't sign a FA deal with us that offseason beforehand. He was just the incumbent.

Fair enough. But the Andre slight was closer to a disagreement that was resolved, with some tension. In this scenario, the organization would be perceived as lying or backing out of a deal they just made. Unless Mallett and Hoyer went to teams where they could legitimately compete for a starting job (Hoyer even moreso given his age), it would be tough to dig out of that hole.

You're probably right that I'm giving the agents too much clout long term. I just wouldn't want the org to have a cloud of disingenuity around it come next offseason. As we've seen with the Astros, these smaller scenarios can build on each other to create a perception.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yes, the decline could happen...but Phillips declining 20% is still better than MS8 in his prime.

The top QBs in the game are still mostly older guys. Big Ben is the same age as Phillip...Manning, Brees, Brady are all at least a few years older...Eli and Romo are older than Rivers...Heck, Aaron Rodgers is only 2 years younger than Rivers.

If Rivers was 35-36 years old, Id be much more hesitant, but Phillip is 33 and just came off a 31 TD, 4300 yard, 94 rating season.

I dont see a drastic drop in his performance for at least a few years. The Matt Schaub decline isnt due to age, it's due to having the mental make up of a 12 year old girl scout.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I get that you are trying to be clever, but trading for old QB's almost never results in success.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Broncos made out well.

6. Hey Now!

Oh, it'd be cluster-y; more so for Mallett, who took a good-faith, gamble on himself deal. But if you worked with Mallett to try and find a good match... I mean.... yeah, no - it's not a great look.

7. Hey Now!

The average age of the top 20 QBs last year was 31. He's oldER; I wouldn't classify him as old.

Trading for QBs, generally, rarely works because teams aren't in the habit of trading good ones. That's why this (or Brees, if NO really made him available) would be worth exploring.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's just factually inaccurate. Phillip Rivers had a season that was pretty much what Matt Schaub was in his prime but not even close to Matt Schaub at his peak. I think too many people forget just how good Schaub was in 2009. Take 20% off of last season's Rivers and you don't get Matt Schaub in his prime, in fact last year's Rivers -20% might not be better than what we get from Mallett this season.

9. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh yeah? Sounds like you have outstanding historical reference to back up that claim. Go ahead and post it. Surely you're not talking out of your ass.

10. Hey Now!

(It's hard to forget what they didn't ever know....)

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, they've been awesome in the regular season and have a SB loss as a result of gambling on an old QB, but they still didn't get the SB win and are facing a total rebuild. Overall you take that, but in the end you really want that SB victory not just one appearance then rebuilding.

12. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

He was much more mobile before the lisfranc injury tho. I personally think that did make a major difference especially when he ran play action. To me his play action foot work wasn't as smooth after the injury and that was our bread and butter.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll let you do the leg work since you seemingly have a lot to learn, find me teams that won the SB after trading or picking up 33+ year old QB's. It's not a long list, I'll help you out by pointing out that Brad Johnson was the last incidence of it.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

He went from slow as dirt to slower than dirt.

What stuck out to me more was that his arm seemed to get more noodly as the season went on. It was never that great to begin with, but he put up some serious lame ducks down the stretch.

Then when he finally got his chance on the big stage, he crapped himself like few have ever done before.

After that, I think he went into hyper-compensate mode and tried to become some silly Schaubslinger 2.0 guy, but ended up being the Pick-6 machine.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well a lot of throwing power comes from your legs and a foot injury could make it harder to keep your legs strong. It's a bit of a reach, but it's at least plausible.

16. Hey Now!

You're setting too high a standard (SB victory) while simultaneously dismissing how rare it is for a good QB to be made available at any point in their career.

Plenty of older QBs have made good teams better. Brett Favre in Minnesota; heck, the Vikings have practically cornered the market on it: Favre, Cunningham, Moon...

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You're talking purely statistics...Im talking about talent and skill.

The Chargers dont have a clear #1 elite WR like Andre Johnson in 2009...they havent had a running back like Foster in how long? Their offensive line? Not nearly as good as what Matt had in Houston. Put Rivers on those Texans teams and we'd have, at least, AFC championship experienced players on this team.

Matt worked well within the Kubiak system...he was placed in a position where the coach made the most of his talent. Kubiak gets a lot of credit from me. And Matt did very well too.

From a purely talent standpoint (Arm strength, accuracy, mobility, pocket awareness, etc...), you cant really put Rivers and Schaub in the same category, putting stats aside. Rivers has always been the superior talent.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The superbowl threshold is so silly.

No headcoach has ever won a superbowl with two different teams. Therefore, if Bill Bellicheck wanted out of New England no one should hire him because you can't win a superbowl with a coach that already won one.

Derp derp.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is the goal to have a couple of "better" years and then rebuild? I thought the goal was to win the SB and I'm pointing out that going to get the old QB isn't something that has had a ton of success...ever. I'd rather keep looking for a young guy that can be a decent game manager like Russell Wilson or Joe Flacco to a lesser extent while winning with defense and the run game. That's something that has had a ton of success recently.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, the flavor of the month theorem.

It's like watching a dog chase cars.