1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Phillips Rivers do anything for you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really want anything to do with a 33 year old QB, that's the beginning of the end for most QB's, it has too much potential to go wrong.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd jump on Rivers in a heart beat. He will have a solid 4 years left...and with that talent we have on this roster, we'd be contenders in the AFC for the entire 4 years, if not longer.

Considering what this franchise has done during it's time in the NFL, you dont pass up on 4 years of almost assuredly having success. And when Rivers is slowing down or calling it quits, you're pretty much right back to where the Texans are today.

Count me in.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You guys have convinced me. Get er done, Moray.

Wouldn't it be ironic if we finally got a good QB less than a month after letting AJ go?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Someone said almost exactly this to me in 2012 when I was suggesting that we should start looking for Schaub's replacement. When you are dealing with QB's over the age of 30 the decline could happen at any moment and can be incredibly rapid.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The best QB in football last year (by passer rating) was 34-year old Tony Romo. Four other QBs older than Rivers (Manning, Brady, Brees and Palmer) joined him in the top 8. (And Roethlisberger was top 3 and he's just three months younger than Rivers.)

I don't categorically reject the thought; age is a concern. But the Texans, theoretically, are ready to contend this year. Rivers makes that infinitely more likely than Mallett.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Make the call. This could be the difference between 8-8 and 11-5 for the next 2 seasons.

7. Hey Now!

I don't know if we'll ever truly know why Schaub declined - but I don't think age was a big factor. He was either mentally fried or hurt worst than we ever knew and *then* became mentally fried.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think he's legit and worth paying the cap dollars for. How we free up that money or what we sacrifice (players-wise), I'm not sure. In the trade itself, I hope we don't give up more than a 2nd and a 5th, or something in that realm. Or just a 1st...maybe..

The other piece I'd at least think about is how this impacts agent relationships and/or future FA's. If we convinced Mallett and Hoyer to sign to compete for the job and then do this, they're going to be pretty pissed. Especially whichever one sticks around as the clear backup (instead of competing for the job). And their agents may not trust us in the future.

I know this kind of stuff can happen with players/teams, but QBs are a bit different given that there's only 1 per team and no rotation/substitution to prove yourself elsewhere even if someone signs you (and they're important relative to kickers/punters, who also fit that description).

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In theory I agree with you, Rivers probably would make the Texans better but getting involved with a QB turning 34 this season is risky. Sometimes you take the risk and it pays off sometimes it doesn't.

10. Hey Now!

To get all semantical, he doesn't turn 34 until December...

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm generally curious as to who are the other 30-something (let's say under 35) QBs who had a rapid descent that wasn't directly related to an injury (e.g. Chad Pennington) or a trade (e.g. Donovan McNabb).

The Schauber seems to stand alone in that category of somebody who just seemingly fell apart without any outside influence.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Sort of like how Matt Schaub would have been pissed if we signed Peyton Manning?

See what I did there? :)

13. Hey Now!

I think they can free up the money rather easily - Watt, Cushing and JJo's deal could all be restructured, and Rivers can sign an extension that can be cap-friendlier in '15.

In terms of cost, I'd be shocked if a 2/5 did it, especially if SD wants to move up to get Mariotta. Mallett might be a viable trade chip.

Probably worth a conversation - but keep in mind: the agent for Andre Johnson is also Vince Wilfork's agent, and whatever (perceived) slight AJ felt didn't keep Wilfork away.

I think fans give agents a little too much clout. Players know teams and coaches; they (mostly) understand team hiearchy and the lay of the land, etc. I'd wager they rarely let agents influence doing what's best for their careers (or wallets).

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Agreed, but the alternative (going with Mallett/Hoyer) carries its own risks as well. Like, neither may ever be half the player that Rivers is on a bad day. We just don't know yet.

There's risk regardless, I think.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well yeah and December is during the season but I get your point, he's on the young side for a QB turning 34 during the season.

The end of Schaub's effectiveness seems to be tied to the lisfranc injury, he wasn't ever himself after that.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I dunno about that.

Look at the 2012 gamelog.

He was a monster for about 12 weeks.

Then he turned into a pumpkin and never whence returned.

17. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm changing your name to BobbytheMediocre. For the crime of accepting mediocrity in a football team.

18. Hey Now!

Rivers would be traded in this scenario. Just... clarifying....

The age thing seems a little archaic. Players are, generally, playing longer, especially QBs, who are protected class and are getting hit far less often. The big concern is breaking down physically - but Rivers has been remarkably durable. He hasn't missed a start in 9 years and he hasn't thrown an obscene amount of passes (less than '04 peers Manning and Roethlisberger).

19. Major

Major Member

Fair enough. If we ignore the large number of coaches that have shown themselves to create different offensive systems and run completely different offensive styles depending on their personnel, then clearly none do that.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Getting traded to a crap team has been shown to kill a few careers. That's all I'm saying. I don't think we'd kill his career here, FWIW.