1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Phillips Rivers do anything for you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Mar 18, 2015.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Whisenhunt's offense is most similar to BOB of the two. He did put up career numbers with it. So, that's a feather in his cap. But there are some differences.

This is what worries me. Per PFF 2013 grade.

• Graded at -2.9 on passes thrown in the 1-to-10-yard range.
    • Graded at -2.4 on drop-backs lasting 3.1 to 3.5 seconds.

He doesn't seem to have the timing/short route skill that BOB's system requires. Also not really sure if he's comfortable with the go-go-go pace.

Maybe it could be taught. I dunno.

2. newAge_Rockets

I would LOVE for Rivers to be a Houston Texan, but if he goes anywhere this offseason it'll probably be to Tennessee. The Chargers have a strong interest in Mariota, so a Rivers for the Titans No. 2 Overall Pick trade makes too much sense.

3. Major

Major Member

Agree with this completely. Not sure what it would cost, but he makes the Texans into legitimate contenders instantly. Especially valuable with him is that he often takes less-than-superstar WR corps and makes them really good, which is an extra bonus given all the question marks in the receiving group (not Hopkins, but the rest of the mix).

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

So does PeePee...

Smarts can make up for arm strength; knowing exactly when and where to throw it... that's pretty much Manning's game - well, really his whole career but certainly lately as his physical skills have diminished.

I would think BOB would *salivate* at the chance to get a QB with Rivers' track record.

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Part mental, part physical. The offenses he has run never seemed quite so intricate (based on timing, precision, etc). Plus the Rivtard face. Oh man.

[​IMG]

6. Major

Major Member

I think too much is made of "the system". If it's a good system, it should be adaptable to the strengths and weaknesses of your talent. If you can't run a good offense with a guy like Rivers, then the system is crap.

7. Hey Now!

And their head coach, of course, is Ken Whisenhunt, so that makes almost too much sense.

8. Hey Now!

See? It's nearly impossible to objectively evaluate him; the dude seems literally insane.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I don't understand this line of thinking at all.

If my system requires you to make quick decisions and have a lightning release, and you can't make quick decisions and your release is slow, then why does that mean my system sucks?

Just because someone talented can't run a system that is anti-thetical to their strengths doesn't mean the system sucks (and it also doesn't mean that person sucks either).

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Definitely a fan plus he looks hilarious

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He's going to get overpaid wherever he goes, so, I'll pass.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd take him. Not an elite QB by any means but it would allow us to stop worrying about the position and focus on winning.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Few QBs don't get overpaid, and for good reason.

It seems that in today's NFL, you cannot win a Superbowl with anything less than a top 10 QB.

14. Major

Major Member

Because it generally means your system is too rigid. On the talent side, it means you are substantially narrowing your potential talent pool. Finding a good QB is already difficult enough - if you have that many more restrictions, it's going to be nearly impossible.

Beyond that, if you can't adapt your offense to your QB's strengths with a whole offseason, what does it mean for adapting to creative defensive plans in the middle of a game? Any good offense should be able to generally adjust to different situations and play in multiple ways. If Rivers isn't at good at certain things, you should be able to run a version of the offense that does less of those and more of the things he's good at. This is more big-picture concepts than anything specific to Rivers or BOB.

It's the same as all the talk last year about whether JJ Watt would fit into Romeo Crennel's system or if Wade Philips could figure out how to use Mario Williams. If you have great talent, and you're a genius coordinator, you should be able to figure out how to use it effectively. If you can't, you're not as much of a genius.

15. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

I'd be interested, but how would we fit him within our cap space? After Wilfork and Moore, I thought we only had ~$2.5MM to spend this offseason

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'd definitely take him over who the Texans got now. Rivers has that Brett Favre skill; he can put you in a hole but he also can pull you out of it. I don't think they can afford him though, not anytime soon.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Right but to a certain degree, you have to take advantage of great players. If your system can't work with JJ Watt, you've gotta modify the system a bit to make it work. If WR2 is not that important in your system but you have the top two receivers in the league on your team, you make the system use that talent.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I think it's kind of inappropriate to compare DL talent to QB talent. It's not an apples/oranges comparison. Rarely, ever, does a team actually have to modify a defense around a guy.

See, but that rarely ever happens. The majority of the time that player leaves. Coaches do not adjust to players very often. They bring in people that fit their criteria. And if that is your standard for bad coaches, then most, if not all, coaches suck.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

As much as I dislike Rivers, he has proven he can be an elite QB and would be a monumental upgrade over Mallett and Hoyer. I can't stand the guy personally but he can be a Top 5 QB in the league.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

If the defensive guy is a once-in-a-lifetime talent, you at least try to modify it.

Obviously, the player has to be special enough to warrant the modification. Coach O'Brien says he's able to gameplan differently week to week; why not player to player? He worked with Fitzpatrick, Mallet, and Keenum. Very different players and Fitz and Case don't "fit" the system but he made it work.