1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Morey need to make a move?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Dec 16, 2017.

1. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

He needs to be traded but can really only go in a 3way and you need to keep him as the base for salary building or it requires too many roster spots. People need to start bringing up all possible trade solutions for him. Dumping him for expirings really does nothing for us over the cap. I am just worried at this point now in the season there aren't many opportunities. He was playing well enough to increase his tradeability and now back to garbage. To go down the list of who all could be here for his salary to help us win is just sickening. I am tired of hearing spacing. With his low minutes we do that just fine without him while he is stuffing the stat sheet with those goose eggs.

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

3. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Make a man out of Zhou, throw him in with the dogs against a crappy team and build him up by the end of the season. Could be a solid player defensively. We don't really need an offensive center other than doing some ally oops.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Rockets are prime to pick up at least one or two buyouts after the all star break. There is no reason to give up a rotation player right now at all.

Lou Williams, Illyasova, Richard Jefferson, Matt Barnes, Devin Harris, and more.

Those could be some rotation players that could be had for free after the trade deadline. I like the idea of Richard Jefferson who just fits in perfectly as a wing who can hit shots and switch on D.

HTX Ninja likes this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Barnes has retired. RJ still looks good despite his age. I would welcome him on the Rockets. I like Ilyasova too.

6. kanggang

kanggang Member

Anyone else starting to get worried about the minutes piling up with D'Antoni's 7-8 man rotations?

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  7. Moleb

Moleb Member

Sad but true. But if signing him to a few ten day contracts gives us more deph & our core players play less minutes then we will have more energy for the playoffs.

8. BonziWellsGOAT

I was about to post this. I really think it's going to affect the team down the line. We're using playoff rotations every game. Honestly I think he should sit Harden the next two games because of the knee. Both games are definitely winnable with cp3 solely running the show. Bring him back Monday. I think picking up another wing at the deadline should help the minutes situation.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought one of the younger dudes developed by now......wishful thinking.

saleem likes this.
  10. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Sit tight. No need to disrupt things by making a trade.
    But best way to find out is rest Harden for a couple games (given the knee soreness) and see how we look.

JohnMac82 likes this.
  11. JohnMac82

JohnMac82 Member

No moves are needed.

12. izeroi

izeroi Member

This.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Problem is, who's out there that is more serviceable than Black? Chandler could be had, I guess, but what would PHX want, in return?

14. saleem

Davis and Boogie can be put into foul trouble by a more creative 4 who can drag them out, and score in the post.
    Mirotic is a better player than Ryan, and cheaper too. Niko likes to create his shot, so I'm wondering how would he fit in with two shot creators and scorers (Harden/ Paul). I don't think he would like to just shoot from the perimeter. I don't know how long Portis and he can co-exist. I think Ryan would have to be moved in order to acquire him. Ryan is once again on a downward turn, which makes it hard to trade him. A perimeter 3/D player is also needed for extra depth. I think EG will be better than any backup PG, so I have given up on acquiring one.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh, that's the question...in fact i don't think we can get Chandler cause i don't think we have the salaries to match his, there's no way we trade Ariza or Tucker to get Chandler so...the only chance is if he gets a buyout and CP can work his magic, but i don't see the Suns doing it, they'll probably trade him, i can see teams out there having interest in him.

Other centers i don't really know tbh, Dedmon is expiring (player option but he should opt out) and he should fit pretty well here, he's also shooting the 3 now, Koufos can't shoot but he's a good player and has the same contract as Dedmon but yeah, overall maybe there's not much better than Black around the league...especially for the salary we can trade. Noel is a guy you can probably get for cheap now, but would you do it? I'm no sure tbh, the chemistry is great, it would be a risky move.

16. Nivos

Nivos Member

Kind of annoying to see how good Canaan plays for phoenix from the bench.
    I know he's on Boby legend spot but hey, you could find garbage time for him and a nice backup as a 4th guard.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I totally agree. Mirotic is that big body like Trey Lyles that I’m looking for (on the cheap). Mirotic gives you a post
    up presence that Lyles does not. But a Lyles is about 235 pounds that can defend a Boogie or Anthony Davis better
    than the 6’6” Tucker who is 235 pounds but lacks the height vs Boogie or Davis. Tucker lacks leaping ability.
    Tucker vs 6’7” Draymond Green works; but Draymond has excellent leaping advantage over Tucker.

I felt Pels were a year or two away when the season started because of lack of 3-point shooters around
    Boogie/Davis. The game earlier in Houston changed my mind. The Pels added some 3 point shooters over
    the offseason. Who would thought Rondon could hit 38%. E’Twaun Moore has has it out for Houston and always
    plays well against us. Ian Clark is capable of knocking down some 3’s......he posted great % with GSW’s. All of a
    sudden the Pels are a 3 point shooter or two from being a thorn in the hip of both Houston and the Warriors.

Rockets put Ryan Anderson at center vs Boogie quit a bit and Ariza did a good job guarding Boogie as well.
    When a player like Ryan/Ariza/Tucker guards Boogie; they have mix up the coverage. 1) Front the guy with
    back side help 2) play behind at times with players ready to converge as soon as he touches the ball 3) play
    behind him and don’t send help (Cousins expects double team and throws ball away as all defenders stay with
    their man). In most scenarios the Rockets send help defenders. Rockets in that earlier game this season
    devoted multiple defenders to help defend Boogie; which allowed their 3-point shooters to get good looks.
    We closed in and challenged many of those shots; but their looks were too good. Like shoot-around practice.
    Adding Davis from injury to the equation and another shooter or two.....would give the Pels 5 3-point shooters
    on the court at all times. And that’s not 5-small ball guys capable of shooting 3’s. Davis and Boogie combo
    could be dangerous.

It’s all about Boogie. If he is traded to a team with another big center or stay with the Pels and they add an additional
    shooter or two. I would like a big power forward that can shot 3’s in the event Ryan is out with injury. That’s
    more important to me than 4th string PG or 4th string SG or 4th string SF or 3rd or 4th string Center. Rockets
    could use a bigger 1st or 2nd string power forward; but I would settle for a greater small ball power forward like
    Tobias Harris that would put tremendous pressure on the opponents defense.....more so than Tucker or Luc MaM.

18. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

I really can't believe Gerald Green can't find a team. Morey, you know what to do!

Outside Tyson Chandler, there is not a single decent player who will be on the buyout markout. Not that I can see. I'd like to see anyone name a non-Tyson Chandler that would be on the buyout market that, could actually help the Rockets win games.

Gerald Green should be outright signed by the way.

Little Bit likes this.
  19. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

We just need 1-2 guards/forwards that you can trust. Just guys that won't **** everything up. And soon. God forbid we lose another rotation player for a week or two.

ApacheWarrior and saleem like this.
  20. saleem

I hear ya. He needs to get stronger, faster and show more progress in the G League first. Only then can he really be tried in the last 8-10 games of the regular season.