1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Luc remind anyone else of Shane Battier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTruth, Nov 24, 2017.

1. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

i dont know its something about his game, that just screams high iq, instinctive and leader. I really hope Luc retires a rocket, dude is fun as hell to watch, he can lock up quick pgs like kemba walker and make life difficult for the durants, only thing holding him back is nagging injuries. Mr. Intangibles

Does anyone know if his contract has a team or player option

MGC, Lawlruschang and DonKnock like this.
  2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Luc is a better defender, Batman was more consistent from the 3 I believe. I’d have to fact check it.

MGC, Lawlruschang and roslolian like this.
  3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

No way.

I like luc a lot but Shane's defense was near perfect execution constantly. He studied tendencies and knew how to manipulate a player to his bad spots and just had phenomenal position and team defense. He just wasn't flashy with steals and blocks.

#3 BigMaloe, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

At his best he's like a poor man's Battier, which is still great considering he's taking up so little of the cap.

5. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

As much as I loved Battier’s fire and sharp fundamentals on defense (intangibles lol), I always remember him getting burned by Kobe. Battier did a phenomenal job defending him.

Maybe I feel like Luc is better on defense because he has a more of a limited role but I challenge people to solely watch Luc on defense for a few possesions, the guy always knows what the right play is, when to reach for a steal, when to press, how to switch, when to go over or under the screen. He’s a good defender in every aspect of defending.

I love Batman but his athleticism limited him at times, either way I totally understand how someone would chose Battier. My pick is Luc so far.

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I mean sometimes you just can't be any better defensively and the greats still just torch you unfortunately Lol.

I think luc is very good. I have watched and every game realize he is great on defense. I think it's obvious he is our best most rounded defender. Ariza provides a lot defensively and tucker provides a lot but luc provides more. Which says a lot in his seemingly "limited role"

That being said, battier was phenomenal. He was the best anti-stats player I can ever remember. He is the definition of "you can't just rely on stats, the eye test is just as important" argument

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Battier was kinda limited by his speed towards the end of his career, he was def smart though and was a master of taking charge.

Battier is really crafty though, didn't he used to research opponents and force them to certain spots. I remember this one game against Tyreke Evans, Battier kept forcing him to his left hand to a certain spot, Evans was pretty frustrated and only scored like 2 points that game.

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ime Udoka tried to be like Battier, did not succeed.

Battier was almost a 15 ppg player in his rookie season in Memphis. He could have done much more on Offense but used his energy on D early on.

I used to watch him when he was in Memphis. A good player along young Pau.

9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Not much at all, I dont see it tbh

10. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Not really. What has surprised me about Luc has been how good he is at putting the ball on the floor and finishing lay-ups. He is essentially Ariza but a better driver/finisher at the rim

Raider17, Plowman, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

pj tucker is more like battier than luc

ZJP3 likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I ran into Luc at the mall and called him Shane several times.

13. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

much more on offense? like what?

14. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Battier is one of the most overrated players of all time. His defense was solid but overrated ans he always got destroyed by Kobe and Melo due to his lack of speed and strength. He was not as versatile as Luc. Luc can literally guard 1 to 4 but I don't recall Battier guarding 1 and 4. Offensively Luc is so much better than Battier. He literally could not dribble and does nothing other than shooting corner 3 and occasional postups. The offense was so much smoother when he got traded and Budinger took his spot. Trading Rudy Gay for Battier is one of the worst trades of all time.

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

To be honest Luc Mbah a Moute reminds me of Tayshaun Prince. Luc is a slightly better 3-pt
    shooter; but Prince scored more. Tayshaun Prince that is; not Prince Luc

When I Dream Luc reminds me of LeeeeeBraun Jaaaaaames

#15 ApacheWarrior, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

https://www.brewhoop.com/2012/9/26/3411060/lebron-james-luc-mbah-a-moute

https://www.brewhoop.com/2012/10/1/3426602/kevin-durant--oklahoma-city-thunder-luc-mbah-a-moute

BigMaloe, tmactoyao and ApacheWarrior like this.
  17. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Luc hasn't bled for us yet

[​IMG]

MGC, BigMaloe, PhilCollins and 2 others like this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I never really loved Battier as a Rockets player. I'm a big fan of Luc's. Battier is the better defensive player but Luc is the better total package. In this D'Antoni offense, teams can't play off of Luc because he is a threat to put the ball on the floor - and that's huge. Also Battier was never a prince.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Trevor is actually a good comparison - 30 plus year-old 3&D long athletic wings

20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saying someone isn’t good because they got torched by Kobe is bizarre to me.