1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Harden have the potential to be better than T-Mac in his prime?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haiti1804, Dec 20, 2012.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is that the greatest thing you've ever seen in Houston Rockets history?

if that is so, that is sad.

2. Orange

Orange Member

Yup fun game rockets got a win.

3. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

No he does not.

Mr. D

4. the shark

the shark Member

Do you remember when Jerome Lane shattered the backboard? So awesome. Great moment and thus let's make him a great player.

5. the shark

the shark Member

6. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

No he doesn't have nor do I think he will acquire the freak athleticism, developed mid-range game, and above the rim ability as T-Mac did. But he's already a better winner than T-Mac ever amounted to.

7. SugarLandDream8

I hope Harden is better and can get out of the 1st round :)

8. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

come on tintin, it's one of the greatest things in Rockets history.

9. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Harden doesn't need to be better than McGrady for us to win a title. We have a lot of good pieces to build around. Just hope Asik doesn't get the Yao injury bug.
    TMac top five most talented wing players in last 20 years IMO.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

It was one of the greatest regular season comebacks.
    does it hold a candle to playoff game or series comebacks? no.

but you know why mcgrady fans hold on to this like it was a winning lotto ticket at 7 eleven?

cause he didn't achieve anything higher for the rockets.

Kobe,Lebron, their fans have MVPs and Championships and epic Playoff clinching victories to remember.

You know even the "NEW" fans have no clue what 13 in 33 is.

They do know Steve Novak.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GHKWJ8yCqBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. tor.rocks

tor.rocks Member

The greatest thing in rockets history is Hakeem. I haven't seen every single rockets play, but Tmac 13 in 33 was the best I seen.

But damn Tinman, you hate Tmac. This thread got side tracked like every other thread in almost every sports forum that I been to.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't hate Tmac, I think his fans are jealous of Kobe, LeBron, and Rockets history.

The best thing I've ever seen is the Rockets winning 2 championships back to back. Great teamwork as well as a legendary performance by Olajuwon.

There were a ton of great regular season too with lots of crazy shots.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0idEHGQFlP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I actually think I enjoyed this moment from the Yao era more than 13 in 35 cause this was more significant.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hb9CWnqaASQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

It is nice for Tmac scored 13 in 33. But that's it for Tmac fans to cheer for comparing to other great players have done in this league in the playoffs.
    I remember in one game Tmac was extremely hot for his 3 pointers, he couldn't miss anything. What was funny is that he was looking down at his hands for several seconds in a way of unbelievably falling in love with them while he was running back to the end of the court. :grin:

That just told what kind of person Tracey was on the court, she was in love with himself, not the team.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That's not a good example, lots of people do that. It's his laziness and quitter mentality that is the main criteria for criticism.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Meanwhile the announcer Doug Collins is saying "you don't see this kind of energy and passion" from McGrady normally :grin:

16. randomfan

randomfan Member

Cool videos, tinman. Your old school vids inspired me to watch a bunch of Olajuwon highlights on youtube just now. *******, they don't make them like they used to!!

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Thanks. The current rockets are a fun bunch, I like that they have swagger but no crazed egos.

What is cool is watching those olajuwon training videos. See the one with lebron ?
    It's crazy that a 50 year old is that smooth on the court

18. cookies18

cookies18 Member

the reason why T-mac downgraded was because of injuries plagued his career. He is overall a great player but that knee of his let him down.

If harden stays healthy, he could become as good as he want. Tmac couldnt do that due to injuries.

End of story!

19. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Harden doesn't ever have to play at McGrady's peak, just somewhere in the ball-park while staying healthy.

Do I think Harden will reach McGrady's prime years? No, not at all. But I think it's very likely he'll enjoy a more longer and productive prime.

20. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

Harden is already an all-star calibre player, clearly. He's gifted in a lot of ways and hasn't hit his peak yet. I'm excited to see how good he'll be. But do I think he'll individually be as good as Tmac? No. Not a knock on harden, it's just tmac was ... one of a kind. Could he have had more of that stubborn competitiveness to push us over the hump in those close playoff series? We sure wish he did but all in all, you havta admit, he had virtually no help until that 2007 playoff series.

One thing he has that harden doesn't is the ability to go both left and right and make stellar passes either side. Harden is all left and is freakin good as long as he goes left (and even if he does go right, he comes back finishing left and somehow makes some of them! :D). The fact that tracy could dribble, pass, and finish with either hand, was 6'8, and athletic was what made him so good.

Harden's style is way different and by all means more "efficient" in that his style forces free throws and it's aimed at attacking the big man off the dribble and splitting it ... and we need that consistency. What I'm curious to see is how teams would guard James in the playoffs. His tendencies seem more readable. With Tmac you just recognize that he'll flat out beat you individually and you tire him out and let your collective team beat his.