1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Evan Turner translate to pro game and if so, how?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by BuckeyeRocketFan, Feb 27, 2010.

1. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

So, I am a big buckeye fan and watched their game today. Evan Turner went 18/11/7. So that raised the question to me of how is his game going to translate to the pros. Does Turner have a game that works at the next level? If so, what position does he play? And what does his upside look like?

I'd love some opinions. I am a little too close to him to be unbiased. I will say that I can't put my finger on it, but something about him makes me hesitant about him at next level.

Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  2. Egghead

Egghead Member

taller brandon roy

3. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I like him. I think he is an athletic brandon roy but with slightly less "skill"

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

DraftExpress guy was all over him today. Said he would have to look at the roster before selecting John Wall over Evan Turner - that's high praise.

1 person likes this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I feel that Wall has superstar potential,Turner doesn't.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I thought he had slightly more skill but less physicality. Of course Brandon Roy is proven and is fearless. I don't know if Turner will have that but he has the talent to be every bit as good as Roy and better. Just like the Draftexpress guy said, I would take him over Wall if I had a pg already.

7. LongTimeFan

Haven't watched him much, but everything I've read says otherwise. Turner already has multiple triple doubles, and seems to be a threat every night. I'd take a guy like that on my team in a second.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

What do you base this on? No question that Wall has more upside but Turner is a perennial All-Star IMO. He's a complete player who is NBA ready now.

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I think Turner is a SG in the NBA, a team I think is willing to take him over Wall is quite possibly the Sacramento Kings, just because they believe Tyreke is their future PG and they have plenty of young bigs, a Evans & Turner back court could be interesting...

--RB

10. showtang043

showtang043 Member

I think tyreke can play sg too, so thats up in the air, but if I am the nets, I go with Turner all the way. They have a solid line up, Harris, Turner/courtney lee, (FA star), Lopez, and then Yi. You jsut need a star to put it together and all of those guys can play with anyone without demanding the ball.

Turner can contribute in ways without the ball in his hand and more than just scoring, he is kind of the perfect no 2 guy.

I don't understand the hyper as John Wall being the absolute no 1. He is athletic and definitely special, btu he still has questionable decision making, a high turnover rate and does not do anything particularly extremely well

11. Htown's2kFinest

hell no. if I were the Kings and had to pick b/t Wall or Turner I'm going Wall lol and tell Evans to move his ass back to SG.

12. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

As for Turner vs Wall, it really depends on which team gets the #1 pick. If Utah were to get it through the NYK pick, they would go for Turner for sure.

13. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Wall is a lock at #1. No matter who gets the pick. Trust me, even if you have CP3, you draft Wall and either make it work or trade him for a superstar.

Right now the number 1 pick has a great amount of value. I'm sure you could get anyone besides Lebron and Kobe for it.
    While drafting Turner would be a risk.

Why get a guy compared to Brandon Roy when you can have the real Brandon Roy?

14. reckonerone42

reckonerone42 Member

Would teams really go that crazy over a player who has yet to play an NBA game? I don't see much sense in trading a bonafide star for an unproven rookie no matter how high his potential. If I were the owner of a team and my GM wanted to trade Roy for Wall type trade, I'd fire him on the spot.

15. LongTimeFan

Uhh, no. If you have CP3, you take Evan Turner. You don't trade Chris Paul because of a rookie who has yet to play in a game. Especially when CP3s backup is also one of the better young PGs in the league.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'd still take John Wall first but you absolutely have to love Turner's do-it-all type of game. He's totally NBA-ready and the best part is he's a relatively safe pick too. Players that can play three positions with his skill set generally don't flop in the pro's. The only question is how high his ceiling really is. He could end up being a star and he could also end up being Jim Jackson type as well. In any event, even the latter is still a very useful player with a long NBA career ahead of him.

17. BasketballReasons

Well, Wall is to most hyped player coming into the league since Lebron.

I don't remember having this much hype around Rose/Beasley, Oden/Durant, Griffin.

Wall is a machine. But then again, I do agree with you that it would be crazy to trade Roy for Wall, but I was just trying to emphasize how much value and hype the #1 pick has.

This draft is looking very good, with I think 4 players possibly becoming all-stars in the near future.

Wall-Turner-Favors-Johnson are the top 4 IMO.

As for Cousins, even though I love his game, I think he might be a little to immature and lack a good work ethic to make it in the NBA. He might blossom lately, but I see more of a Beasely outcome for him unfortunately. Unless he is surrounded by the right people.

18. LongTimeFan

Cousins "immaturity" has been thrown around here a lot with little evidence to back it up. Exactly what has he done this season to make you believe he's too immature? I've heard the opposite -- that he's grown up a lot under Calipari this year.

And what's so bad about Beasley? :confused: He's 20 years old. 20. And he's average 15/7 this year on a terrible team. He still has a ways to improve, but nothing about him screams bust.

19. BasketballReasons

I don't personaly know Cousins, i'm basing my facts on scout reports that i've read throughout the year.

As for Beasley, well, lets just say we all thought he'd enter the league with a way bigger impact. And rehab isn't the kind of impact i'm talking about..

20. showtang043

showtang043 Member

Good point, its hype on wall, espn ol' hype that they create that creates more interest and more money and attention towards them and the league...that's why every year they have someone new sensational thats going to 'take over'. That's their business, be subjective, wall hasn't done close to what durant or any of those guys did, he didn't evne show the control and maturity of the game that derek rose did in my opinion. And half those guys you listed on hype didn't do jack, beasley, oden, even griffen yet.

And even the HS to pros rookie start out slow, IMO carmelo had a better rookie year than lebron and was more efficient than him while leading his team to more wins, yet ofcourse the hype wins the rookie of the year.

this is their job to market and make stars, if there were none, there'd be no interest and they'd be out of the job. I take it with a grain of salt, watch the games and give the pros and cons myself, yea this kid has athleticism and potential, but its potential until he can efficiently and intelligently run a team

1 person likes this.