1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Daryl Morey Think the PG Position is Unimportant?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Feb 20, 2014.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

What a terrible thread.

2. Reach

Reach Member

Right, but this doesn't necessarily excuse his issues. Lin may not have the ball in his hands very often, but in the limited times when he DOES get the ball, he's still turning it over at a horrible rate. At this point in his career, I'd hoped that his decision making would be better, not worse.

He's certainly playing "fine," but it's hard to really say that this season's Lin is appreciably better than last year's. His finishing and efficiency have improved, but his three point percentage has stayed flat while his turnover ratio has worsened drastically.

And as a Lin fan, my expectations are naturally going to be high. Isn't that partly why most of us are Lin fans anyway -- the expectation that Lin will improve over time and prove to be a star/near-star and prove the legions of doubters wrong?

3. NotChandlerParsons

By all reports, he thinks it's important (likes to have 3 on the roster at all times...which we still do). But it's also the deepest position in the NBA and easiest to replace.

4. Reach

Reach Member

You're correct, I should've been more clear in my post to avoid confusion. I apologize.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Very likely that Brooks would have fallen to 4th on the depth chart.

6. Reach

Reach Member

It's hard for me personally to classify Magic as a PG at all when he was big even for a PF.

In the case of Isaiah, it can be argued that he wasn't really the "star" of those Pistons' teams at all -- the real star perhaps being their stifling defense.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Morey said on csn trading brooks was as much a of Hamilton as it was that they think cannaan is ready to step up.

They obviously like him. Maybe more than you?

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think Morey has an advantage evaluating undervalued PG "assets". Beverley is a great find. Canaan definitely needs real playing time to develop.

There's a limit in the sense that he would probably have been more aggressive in keeping Dragic in hindsight, but it's there.

Just like how in Moneyball Billy Beane was minting relief pitchers and trading them away for stronger depth elsewhere, Morey seems confident in doing the same thing...especially when Harden is passable at fascilitating ballhandling.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

If PG were unimportant to Morey. Why the interest in the Deron Williams & Rajon Rondos?

Brooks was moved because he was a third option and the Rockets have immediate needs for more rebounding and shooting.

If the Rockets had found a taker for Lin's contract. I doubt Brooks would have been moved too. When Brooks was signed didn't he say/tweet something along the lines of "We'll see"? when asked about playing time.

Wasn't there a rumor about a failed Aldridge trade that followed shortly after? My memory is foggy on the timeline.

If Lin had been salary dumped. Would a following deal even if took until the off-season of Asik + cap room to absorb unwanted contracts achieve that first round pick Morey wants from trading Asik?, maybe more?

10. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Hot, you gotta look at who he's had at PG since he started at GM. We've had a damn good group of guys, there's no way Morey doesn't think it's important.

11. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

I doubt it's exclusive to PGs. The interest is about getting a third star, more than the actual position he plays (at least around here given all the name dropping).

12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

The league is getting PG heavy. Hence its easily replaceable from 1 player to the next.

I do think a PG that can defend the star PGs is highly important thou.

13. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

To me, Jason Kidd does qualify as an "all time" great PG

14. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

Lol, no, it can't be argued at all. Isiah is a HOFer that averaged 19 and 9 with 2 steals. He once averaged 26 and 12 in the playoffs, 24 and 11 in another playoffs.

15. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

I can't stand these friggin Lin threads. Wish Morey traded his azz like yesterday.

16. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Majic has been described by some as a PG in a PF body.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Doesn't Rondo play PG.

Didn't Morey try hard to get him.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You got to be kidding me. I guess you never saw Magic play.

He was the prototype PG, who just happened to be tall. He and Bird are the two best passers in the history of the game.

1 person likes this.
  19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

True. Because Harden actually shoulders much of the PG responsibilities Morey has more latitude than most other GM's do at that position. However, to think that Morey would actually ship out both Lin and Brooks without getting a veteran PG back puts way to much faith in the young Canaan.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think the "trying to move Lin all day" comment is a misleading way of describing what Morey was doing. It's just some agent/front office guy's saying what he heard.

I have no doubt that Morey discussed a bunch of deals involving Lin, but it's most likely due to the fact that either Lin's or Asik's contracts must be a part of a package for any deal involving brining back significant salary, and any deal that would move the needle for this team most likely involves significant salary coming back. Asik's name likely was out there all day, too.

The thing is, Morey isn't trading just for trading's sake. There has to be some goal to be accomplished by making a deal. Trading a bunch of assets and players for Rondo accomplishes a purpose. Just moving Lin's contract (or Asik's contract) off the books really does not achieve anything. Moving both Lin and Asik both together for only expiring deals may serve a purpose cap wise, but who knows whether such deals were available or desirable to Morey.