1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Does Daryl Morey Think the PG Position is Unimportant?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

When it comes to winning titles, elite PG's are IMO the least important position. They rarely win titles. Not since Magic and Isiah. Sure Payton and Kidd eventually got theirs, way, way after their primes. Parker and Billups? Elite? Debatable.

But I'm sure Morey would go all-in for CP3.

2. Reach

Reach Member

What a nice assumption for you to make about me without any evidence whatsoever. Though since that I've said something negative about Lin, it must be natural for you to assume I'm biased against him. Silly me.

And no, I don't really mind Lin's high-risk, high-reward style -- it's what makes him an exciting player and a potential star. What I do mind is his complete lack of improvement in this area (and his three point-shooting) over the last two years. Lin would be absolutely vital to this squad if he could shore up those weaknesses, but his failure to improve has made him very replaceable. As a Lin fan, it's disappointing to see.

3. Reach

Reach Member

Try again? I was arguing exactly your point.

4. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

This.

Plus serviceable PGs are a-dime-a-dozen these days and easy to replace.

Not sure why Morey tried all day (today) to trade Jeremy. A deal involving a big contract like this doesn't take just a few hours to happen. He should have started trying a lot earlier. Maybe Jeremy's camp has been discreetly (unlike Asik's camp) asking for a trade and Morey has been procrastinating and pretending to try get one done last minute. Then he asked for too much. No deal.

5. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Oh. Ok.. Please explain.

6. Doktor Mndbndr

Maybe Jordan Hamilton has genuine upside to become that missing 3 & D wing behind Parsons. Time will tell if Morey has again spotted a diamond in the rough. He thinks he did, according to his public statement.

Maybe Canaan is ready. Morey has a history of trading away disposables to make way for a rookie who is ready.

Maybe Brooks quietly asked for a trade. He appears to be back in excellent form, and one can sense from his public comments that he was not ecstatic about the limited playing time. He could definitely go to an average team like Denver or Knicks which could afford to be more acceptive of his defensive shortcomings to play 20 or more minutes, and maybe put up offensive numbers at the rate he did a few years ago. And to be frank, if he doesn't show what he can do offensively, he is teetering on the edge of being out of this league.

7. Nook

Nook Member

With the way some of the Rockets assistants have been talking, I would not be shocked if Isaiah Canaan has the job by this time next year.

8. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

David, I'm pretty sure he is saying what you stated.

That they don't have all time PG's on their team.

But they have all time players --- Jordan, James, and Bryant.

9. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

Jeremy trade rumors have been around since the summer. Rockets just haven't found a taker and lin has played bad largely since coming back from injury so that's not helping.

10. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I think we did Aaron Brooks a big favour on this one. He helped us with his solid play off the bench, signed a less than market value contract and was, by all accounts, a good locker room presence.

He gets to go to Denver and play big minutes, instead of being the 3rd guard, & hopefully turn that into a decent pay day.

Morey did AB a solid on this trade.

1 person likes this.
  11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously not since he tried to go after Rondo.

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Point guards for Morey are like closers for Billy Beane. Valuable, but replaceable.

13. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

It's very hard to improve weaknesses in making decisions with the ball in your hands when you don't have the ball in your hands. Lin excels at high usage roles, but he has one of the lowest usage % in the NBA among point guards right now.

14. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

He's playing fine. The season that Lin's having now is better than his previous two. Even though he's the 4th scoring option, everyone's expectations are still sky high.

15. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

As a whole, but that's masked by his great start to the year, ever since the Philly game his numbers have gone in the tank.

Actually think if Morey wanted to trade it was prolly guarding his very shot start to the year but he's as playing too well to be traded then.

Although I don't think Morey is trying to give him away for peanuts either! Cyberx mentioned Knicks having interest but Rockets wanted THJ, so not like Morey is looking for anybody willing to take him

16. Reach

Reach Member

I didn't mean all time-great PG's, I meant all-time greats period.

17. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

If that is the case, then I agree. I read it as him saying:

"championship teams have all time greats on them" referring to an all time great PG.

He didn't really specify it any other way, which is why other posters were saying the same thing I was. He should put more info into his post when trying to make a statement.

18. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

Short answer: NO he does not think any position is "unimportant"

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This just sems like a trade for trades sake. I mean brooks is the only pg on this roster who is a known commodity in the playoffs. Players like casspi or garcia should've been moved before brooks. We will see. Hope everything works out.

20. Pete the Cheat

Thinly veiled attempt to unleash Canaansanity?