1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Daryl Morey Think the PG Position is Unimportant?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Feb 20, 2014.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

The difference is the derek fisher and John paxsons of the world played with all time greats, not just HOFers, but top 20 all time players.

:rolleyes: stop

2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Lol, you're funny Hotballa.

You're the one who were putting down Lin stating how putrid his basket skills are, so I just answered you back.

By the way, I didn't just talk about Lin.

SMH.

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

What the hell is wrong with the GARM that everything is labeled about Lin or whatever? :mad:

4. Reach

Reach Member

Every team needs a good playmaker/ballhandler on the team. However, that player does not have to be the PG, as we've seen countless times on championship teams. Since that role has been largely filled on this team, Lin and his skillset are superfluous here.

5. basketballholic

Morey would have traded 2 point guards away today IF he had gotten 1 point guard back.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Last season, getting stars > keeping our pgs

The team is in a completely different situation this year than last. Remember, Morey was trying to go after Paul and Deron last year, so it's not an issue with the position

Today it was more about Canaan being ready to be third pg and needing more help at the 2/3

7. Reach

Reach Member

On another note, I'm greatly disappointed with Lin's progress over the past several years. If Lin had improved JUST his turnover rate and 3 point shooting over the past two years he's been in the league, he would've been an invaluable piece to this contending team. Instead, his turnovers seem to have gotten even worse while his 3 point shooting has stayed even.

8. Jt29

Jt29 Member

I still couldnt digest why would we trade AB for hamilton? Morey, trigger happy?

9. Reach

Reach Member

Hamilton's an athletic perimeter defender who can shoot the 3. Meanwhile, we have 4 PG's on the roster.

10. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Harden's our PG, so I think Morey cares about him.

11. Reach

Reach Member

You're forgetting that most championship teams have all-time greats on them.

12. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Lol, you're the only one who keeps talking about the guy.

You still didn't answer my question --- do you have CSN or not?

:confused:

13. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Again, the TOs are overblown. Lin could cut them down simply by doing what Bev does (i.e., not running risky plays). Do you actually want that? Probably not. You'll just find something else to complain about.

14. Sen89

Sen89 Member

What bothers me is that people automatically reach that assumption and ignore the build of those rosters.

The fact is that teams built around ball-dominant star PGs don't win championships, yet everyone is enamored with the countless flashy star PGs in the league.

The #1 role for a PG is to be the head overseer of ball-movement and facilitation for the team (and be the extension of the coach on the floor). The exception to this rule is when you have an elite playmaker from the wing (LeBron). If your PG is overly ball-dominant or looks to shoot too often, it automatically serves as a detriment to ball-movement. Yet, people are wowed by gaudy APG totals, and don't understand that when a PG is ball-dominant, the ball-movement on that team might actually be abysmal.

Give me the solid, functional duo of Lin/Beverley. Could they be upgraded? Probably. But can we win with them? Yes.

15. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Not unimportant, but easily replaced.

16. Zergling

Zergling Member

Unlikely seeing how Morey tries to suck up on CP3 every chance he gets. CP3 + Dwight was Morey's plan A but Doc going to LAC ruined it.

17. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Last I checked, Miami doesn't have an "all time" great PG on their team. Neither did Dallas, and neither did the Lakers. Try again

18. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

We have a 3rd string if we need!

[​IMG]

19. Nook

Nook Member

Heat mini dynasty? No special PG
    Lakers dynasty ? No special PG
    Bulls 2 dynasties? No special PG
    Rockets repeat? No special PG

That is 15 titles in the last 21 years where the PG was ordinary.

1 person likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

the pgs are like the rbs. and you know what maury does with rbs in his fantasy leagues? he collects them, then trades them away to those needing one because theirs had an acl tear.