1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Dallas Keuchel make the playoff roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, Jun 29, 2018.

1. CinematicFusion

Agree.... I was putting it out there because of the Trade Deadline approaching on July 29th. One month away.
    Was wondering if his performance up to this point might trigger a trade move in the bullpen.
    Many have said even if Keuchel is terrible and off the playoff roster, he doesn't effect what the Astros can accomplish or what trades they may or may not make.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I don't think there was any desperation in the Gomez move. It didn't work out but you could see what they were thinking- get a guy who had been a 5 - 6 war player for a couple years and a solid MOR arm, both under club control for multiple years to augment what was an exciting core, but not a finished roster. It didn't work out but it wasn't a desperate overpay type move imo.

BigM likes this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

They 100% wont trade Keuchel. Too much history of success to pack it in with him. They will let him work through it or fail trying. Though he may play himself out of a future contract here. I’d say regardless of his play they’re going to explore bullpen help. That’s a given. As has been mentioned, Cole easily slips into his role as the number 2 come playoff time.

jim1961 likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

5. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Sure he prob makes the roster. Is he good.... hell no he's been hard to watch. His game is as predictable as ryan Anderson. My hope, is that unlike Ryan, Dallas takes it up a couple notches come playoffs

6. Senator

Senator Member

Yes, he will make it. Whether you pitch him ahead of peacock and McHugh is questionable - I wldnt. I dont feel comfortable giving him 3 yrs 45 mil in the offseason , wld rather get a comp pick and spend all future pitcher money towards the rest of the very deep SP lineup that stros have, including peacock and McHugh.

7. Progs

Progs Member

Man... PeopLe still think Whitley will be call up this season. I dont. Hopef ully, he gets in a roll, again.

8. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Morton was a 4 era pitcher too. Law of averages. He'll have time to improve and he's shown flashes already. You'd be a terrible manager even if the playoffs started tomorrow to not let DK play.

9. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

July, August and September.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Of course he makes the roster assuming he’s healthy, thinking otherwise is just silly. The main question I have with Keuchel is what his next contract will look like. Going into the season he was a lock for a QO and with a great year had a shot at $100M, with my projection being around $80M. If he keeps pitching like he has the last month he’s probably more of a $40M contract and a QO is far less certain. It doesn’t appear Keuchel has had all that great of a rep with this front office so they aren’t going to do him any favors. He has lost a ton of money by pitching relatively poorly so far this season.

#30 Snake Diggit, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Hinch wouldn't leave Keuchel off of the playoff roster.

12. CinematicFusion

As a Manager....who makes your playoff roster assuming you take 11 pitchers, assuming we pick up someone or call up someone and of course assuming everyone contines to pitch well for that Astros?
    1.verlander
    2.cole
    3.morton
    4.mcullers

5.devo 1.34 ERA
    6.rodon 1.50 ERA
    7.sipp 2.41 ERA
    8.mcHugh .97 ERA
    9.peacock 2.06 ERA
    10. (Call up or Trade) Brad Hand, Britton, Forest Whitney (Assuming we pick up someone....might not happen)

11. Who is here? Giles? Keuchel? Will Harris? Joe Smith?

If Giles has a better second half, does he make the cut if Keuchel continues to struggle with inconsistency?
    Out of Girles, Keuchel, Harris, Smith, who has the best chance for a rebound second half?
    I'm Hoping Keuchel has a better second half, then yes...he is one the team.

However, Do you just throw Keuchel on the team even if Giles has a .9 ERA in the second half and Keuchel continues to struggle?

13. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Dk stays no matter what. He gets paid the big bucks and he's already proven in post season. Pitchers have off seasons and slumps too (cole/morton/verlander prior to stros).

Your logic on Giles is off. You don't look at era on a closer. Use Giles as a closer only or don't use him. He's got a perfect saves percentage and is top when only used in that category. Anything more, is a risk (which he has shown).

14. CinematicFusion

Then you have answered my question. As a manager, you keep Keuchel on your pitching staff no matter what.

15. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Like what I said before, "You'd be a terrible manager even if the playoffs started tomorrow to not let DK play."

But if I was a manager in the post season. I'd def have a short leash on DK like I would on Giles. It's a good problem to have since the depth is one of the best in the MLB.

16. Buck Turgidson

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Of course he does and probably starts.