1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does austerity work?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Faust, Jul 4, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So I take it you are going to be one of the idiots who will vote "oxi" tomorrow?

Good luck with that, and with your government.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wrong.

These dumb anthropomorphic/morality takes on things that have no relation thereto are among the most damaging things around.

It's not like baseball or balancing your checkbook

There is no truth that intentional economic bloodletting works or is necessary.

There is lots of truth indicating it makes things worse, which really isn't hard to see.

3. Major

Major Member

Good post - I think this is a viable and good solution. I totally agree that Greece has to make major changes too and take responsibility for what got them into this mess in the first place. But I think I come from it with less sympathy towards the lenders because I feel that's why bonds pay an interest rate. People were buying Greek bonds instead of German or US ones because they made more money that way - but that comes with risk. If we always protect bondholders from losses/default, then what's the point of a higher interest rate? So I totally agree the Greek government and people screwed up, but I feel like the bond buyers knew the risks and should share in the pain (with a key caveat being that there's an absolute need to avoid contagion and hurt the regular citizens of Europe).

4. bmd

bmd Member

So you suggest printing your way out?

5. malakas

malakas Member

i will vote yes but the garbage you have posted are garbage.

I am not going to participate in conversation that villifies my country and its people. Have fun here trashing while innocent people suffer.
    But yeah..austerity works.:rolleyes:

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If Greece still had their own currency, they would have been on the mend right now. Inflation and devaluation of currency would have been the fastest way out of their mess.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Oh absolutely in this case in terms of monetary policy.

Had Greece had its own currency they could have devalued and probably been well on the road to recovery by now.

Instead they are in the Euro straitjacket, in year 7 of a great depression.

In terms of the overall macro/fiscal picture - your core assumption is that somehow reducing spending will somehow raise income. Tanking will beget riches.

This makes no sense if you realize that as I think Ellis Mirsky dId that income = spending.

8. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

You don't want to go through withdrawal during a recession.

9. adoo

adoo Member

and Paul Ryan, the Tea party, as well as those of their ilk

it's kinda predatory lending, no?

10. malakas

malakas Member

good post.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Agreed 100 %.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

A stark contrast between self-perception and the way the rest of Europe (rightly) perceives you is part of your problem.

[​IMG]

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

there's no other way

14. bmd

bmd Member

It doesn't solve the problem it just kicks the can down the road.

15. Major

Major Member

The US didn't and we managed to come out of the 2008 mess faster and better than any of the European countries.

16. bmd

bmd Member

We lucked out because the dollar is the reserve currency and Europe has even bigger problems than the U.S. does.

However, although things seem better now, it isn't over. There will be another crash sometime down the road because nothing has changed.

Wait until the Fed raises interest rates.

17. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

The thing about stereotypes is that when confronted with facts, they're mostly bulls**t.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

Everyone knew we were the reserve currency and that Europe had bigger problems than us. Despite that, the people preaching austerity in Europe preached austerity as the only solution here too.

If your timeline is infinity, that's certainly true. There will be a crash at some point, just as there have been many before. But that doesn't mean it will be caused by the lack of austerity to solve this crash.

It's certainly possible. Though people have been wrong on the Fed for the last 7 years. They said the Fed would create runaway inflation, that QE wouldn't work, that things would crash when QE was pulled back, etc. The critics have been wrong at every turn thus far.

1 person likes this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

strong argument. Stereotypes. wouldn't expect anything else judging by the quality of your posts.

20. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Does austerity work?

-->No.