1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

does anyone want the Reputation feature?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by ndnguy85, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

lol, i was kinda surprised when i saw that comment as well. They were probably just rattling off names that had mac in them.

At this point...this season, i probably agree with you more than the "macaroons" not the jokes but the game analysis.

thanks for correcting him, though.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I know which posters posts I like reading and which I don't. A reputation bar just kind of seems like clutter.

3. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

this is a basketball forum not a popularity contest

simple as that

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

When did you become part of the Crew, R2K? Congratulations and well deserved! :cool:

As for the topic, I'm against anything that might add to the server load and work for Clutch and Crew, or grief, as in "Why am I rated that low? I'm better than (fill in the blank)!" Who cares? Of more interest to me would be something that could be used to raise funds for the BBS. I'd fork over a $100 bucks to have Blade Runner under my moniker, where it says "contributing member." Silly? Of course, but I'd get a kick out of it! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

on another board i frequent as much as this one i dont think that's an issue at all... exact opposite, in fact

that should not be the reason why the feature isn't implemented, at least. the positives would definitely outweigh the negatives.

1 person likes this.
  6. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I think CCR is right. If you made a thread critical of Yao, you'd be worse than a rookie in no time. Less so if you criticize TMac (because I'm pretty sure there aren't thousands of members here who only follow TMac as opposed to Yao), but still a problem.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Im not sure how it is used in all the other places that use a form of the rep system, but in the ones I am familiar with the amount of impact your negative ratings have is weighted by the poster's individual ranking.

The only way to get high ranking is to regularly make good posts that get good rankings....the masses of mostly silent Yao fans would not be able to do alot of damage to someone else's ranking since they never accumulate the positive rankings necessary to carry much weight.

There could be good and bad things about ranking systems, my main liking of them is to allow the community to self-police stupid threads. If a thread is made that is just beating a dead horse or is at its heart a "troll thread"(designed to get other members mad and not to encourage new discussion), the members can rate it negative and eventually it will accumulate enough "negs" to cause the bbs software to auto-close it without needing moderator intervention.

anyway, like I said before...moot point....very unlikely to be used, etc....

Note: I do not presume to speak for Clutch in this, just speaking from a common sense place

edit: Thanks Deck....just lucky I guess. ;)

8. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Buck Johnson fan? ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hardly! ;)

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This would be awesome.....if we were in junior high.

1 person likes this.
  11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

OK Chandler. :D

12. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

I would intentionally make T-Mac hate posts..... that would make me a legend.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Not a very good idea, especially when you have both aged persons and children expressing views. Some of which can be off the wall, yet are deserving of respect as personal opinions.
    For one I have 26 years as a solid Rockets fan and even saw them play in San Diego. My opinions take time before they come to pass, so initially would be incorrectly graded. Such as my thoughts on Francis and Yao Ming and more recently about Von Wafer , were immediately looked down upon. :p

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Being a visionary is hard work.

;)

DD

15. ElGatoLoco

ElGatoLoco Member

It works pretty well on texanstalk (a few members from there post here). Sure, some people get some silly negative rep but for the most part people get it when it's deserved.

That said though, this forum has many more people that post regularly than TexansTalk does. And the more people there are the more people who will get their feelings hurt and neg. rep people. Of course there are more intelligent posters too so there's more positive rep passed around as well.

I'd say give it a shot and if it gets out of control I'm sure they could turn the feature off.

16. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I don't know what good a reputation feature would do. my solution would have been something i have seen on other boards - implementing twin sister forums where one has merit-based restricted access. anyone can read it, but you can only post there if promoted.

the problem isn't simply the rookie posters but the compounding effect that they have in scaring away the veteran posters. veteran posters simply do not post in the GARM anymore. i can only speak for myself, but the reason seems to be that there really isn't any incentive to do so. why take the time to write out a thoughtful observation when it will just be drowned out by a sea of mindless drivel? there simply isn't any 'discussion' anymore in the GARM because it's too hard to dig through most of the garbage.

1 person likes this.
  17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I've wanted it for a long time, but held off because there were a few things I wanted there that didn't exist for it -- probably time now though. We need a way of rewarding solid takes and analysis (quality posts). The problem is making it so cliques don't band together and prop each other. Random idea, but I'd really like there to be 100 or so long-standing, solid members of the board who have more ability to prop reputation right out of the gate. I'll get the info today and start a poll on it.

1 person likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Clutch if you do this I believe it will hinder the ability to criticize popular players....even if they deserve it.

Having an unpopular opinion is tough on here, even if it is generally right.

I fall into the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" category.....things like this can fracture a community.

DD

#38 DaDakota, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  19. cson

cson Contributing Member

D & D will be more of a bloodbath!

20. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

To counter people that give negative results cause they don't agree with your opinion. Is there any way that if your given a negative comment for your post it to be saved and reviewed by your 100 or so people that will help moderate. If they find it to be uncalled for let it stand if not the person making the negative complain can be warranted an unsatisfactory complaint. i really don't know to much about it just throwing some ideas out there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.