1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone know what happened to Royce White?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by greenteaman, Nov 3, 2012.

1. nono

nono Member

It was such a colossal mistake to draft Royce. He sounds like a basket case. With his anxiety attacks, how will he ever be able to play in the league? There are lots of players who have problems, but they just carry on. There are some people who have an extreme problem like Royce's but their talent is so great that they are worth accommodating. I'm thinking about someone like Dennis Bergkamp, who also had an extreme fear of flying. Royce is just not worth all of this. I think he might have actually duped the management about his conditions and that's why their relationship is messed up.

No one has answered this. How the **** will this guy drive all the way to Toronto when we have to play there ? It was utterly stupid to sign him.

2. kinein

kinein Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. kinein

kinein Member

[​IMG]

Where is White!!

4. AXG

AXG Member

I never liked the Royce White pick. Undersized as a 4, too slow for a 3, can't shoot a lick. These issues just exacerbate everything. I get the feeling he'll be out the league sooner rather than later.

5. Iamshawnstay

Iamshawnstay Member

Pshhh......i have a better question. Where is T. Jones???

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

well, he wouldn't. he is still planning on flying with the team this season when driving is not feasible.

that being said,

dude was a mistake.

7. slickster

slickster Member

I've asked the same question several times, and it's pretty clear the answer is, 'he won't be.'

The rockets took a calculated risk and lost. They'll simply release him after his two guaranteed years are up. The rockets are far under the cap, and it looks like they'll be playing to large crowds all season long, so I doubt they've taken a financial hit as a result of this.

Chances are, any other player they would've taken with the royce pick would not have played much if at all, under mchale anyway.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In all honesty Im not sure Morey still drafts him knowing that the James Harden trade goes down, and no PF are moved in the process. However, Morey isn't a fortune teller, and couldn't have known how things would go down in the end. Even if A. Asik's contract gets matched, and B. the Harden trade doesn't go down, the post man rotation probably looks alot different and this organization's goals around probably more centered around next years draft. Alot of things have happened that pushed the rookie bigs out of the lineup that nobody could have predicted.

I believe a big reason why they took Jones/White in the first place was because they believed multiple bigs were going to be moved potentially in a Howard/Bynum trade. Otherwise, I think the term "fit" comes into play. I know Morey is a proponent of taking the best player available always, but in this case White isn't necessarily the player that fits on this team knowing now how the roster stands.

However, knowing how the Harden trade went down, Im sure Morey is more than comfortable now cutting his losses with White if there is an ability to trade him. If not, they are probably more than comfortable just leaving him inactive in the hopes that he might turn a corner this Summer or in the second half of the season at best.

How is he going to get to Toronto?- Well he already flew to Detroit/Atlanta(and b****ed on Twitter about the high fat foods they were serving on the plane), so I assume he would manage to fly if in fact he's on the active roster which I doubt he will be.

Here's something to note about the D-League Schedule-

Nov 30th- @Tulsa
    Dec 1st- @Texas(Dallas)
    Dec 6th- Tulsa
    Dec 8th- @ Tulsa
    Dec 9th - @ Tulsa
    Dec 15th- @Texas
    Dec 16th - @ Texas

Royce can very well travel by bus to all the D-League games in a 3 week stretch. I will be shocked if he's not on the Vipers during this stretch of games. How Royce deals with this stint should give us good insight into how A. He deals with the situation, and B. He is as a basketball player at that level.

If he doesn't just destroy the D-League in that stint, the front office might have to assume some long term decisions. Very important 3 week stretch for Royce's professional basketball career.

9. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Yea,but the sad thing is,there was still some talent with nice potential on the board when we took him.At this point he isn't even worthy of asset status.Imagine how nice it would be to have Zeller or PJ3,Melo,Moultrie ...hell anybody else that went in the first round after him.We would at least have a nice player to include in a trade package. :(

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Do you really think any of the other players you just mentioned would be getting PT right now as well? How in the world do any of those guys factor into the rotation?

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

1 person likes this.
  12. alethios

alethios Member

Negative ocular dysfunction?

(translation: can't see himself getting there)

1 person likes this.
  13. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

He'll fly. The same thing he did to get to ATL. The bus is to limit flights to short distances, not every trip.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If he can fly to Toronto, he should also be able to fly to Dallas. This is all ridiculous.

15. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Cut himself shaving his beard. Preparing to release "fear the 'stache" clothing line since someone already had a famous beard.

16. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Royce White is acutely afraid of flying. His only responsibility when he's not playing basketball is to hop on a plane to the team's next destination.

Good going, Rockets. :|

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Look I support the guy, but I just think that if you want to be serious about playing in the NBA, you have to devote all your attention to it, and put your development and your team ahead of everything else. It doesn't seem like he's doing that. Any issues that are mental health related are understandable, but any other distractions or excuses means he's not going the extra mile. I'm nervous considering last night's absence, but im willing to reserve judgement. I really hope last night is the exception and not the rule. You can't miss games; you just can't.

18. kent335

kent335 Member

Bus broke down somewhere between Atlanta and Houston.

19. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

To think of all the players who never even get a chance to play in the NBA.

Have somebody give you some drugged milk or something, like they did Mr. T on the A-Team. This is professional league, son. We can't be having no headcase drama like this.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We should suspend him indefinitely until he grows-up. If he has issues, he needs to get professional help and stop jerking the organization around.