1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone know a good software for building websites?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocksMillenium, Jul 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I want to build a website to promote some of my projects but I'm not an expert in HTML and other codes so I just wanted to buy a software for building a page. It could be free or commercial, I'm willing to shell out the dough. Thanks! :)

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Wordpress. It's free to download. Comes with themes that you can later customize and its easy enough to learn on your own by messing around with the interface.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

+1 If you are going to change the content often, word press is the way to go. You can also pay for some professional templates that are nicer than the free ones.

4. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

notepad is free.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hear alot about WordPress. I downloaded it to my computer but don't see an executable. Did I download the wrong thing? I look at the instructions it states something about my webserver. [I don't have one] Is that something I need to set on my computer? [VM webserver?]

Rocket River

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I like Drupal.

7. Scionxa

It's not that type, you have to install on the server. You need to create a database, extract the files via FTP. Make sure you have Apache or IIS with PHP5 or greater. I forgot the exact requirements. Your webhost should be able to tell you. If you don't already have a web server, if you have Win 7 Pro, install IIS 7, or use a linux machine and play around with Apache and install it locally so you can play around with it .

Wordpress has the "5 minute install"

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thanks. Never done much with Apache etc.
    I would like to create the website locally and then upload to the site

Last thing I used was Yahoo Sitebuilder
    [extremely simple to use IMO]
    Just don't think paying yahoo 40$ a month is worth it!!

Rocket River

9. Scionxa

Ahh, I see. Yeah that software is really really simple. Are you tech savvy? Installing Apache on a Linux machine requires a few terminal lines.

IIS7 on Windows is not that bad but can be confusing. You can also set it up where you forward port 80 in your router, to your local host and you can view your site on the internet via IP address (Note this is technically a TOS violation)

Dreamweaver is a nice little solution, just connect to your webserver via FTP and it'll usually do all the work for you.

Alot of webhosts like "Hostgator" offer free site builder. Alot of them use Parellels Plesk so you might some that are redundant.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Second Dreamweaver- I cut my teeth on it and still use it when I need to do any HTML.

Like others, I've heard nothing but fantastic stuff on Wordpress. I'm going to give it a go when I have some free time to play with it.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can it be super simple? Flavors.me is worth a look, it'll look good, but might not have the functionality you're looking for.

12. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

13. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

14. TheTruth

TheTruth Contributing Member

ive used wordpress to make a few sites and now i heard good things about joomla and may try it out

15. sbyang

sbyang Member

Google App Engine if you need database stuff. It's hosted on google and pretty easy to get used to if you know java.

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Thanks a ton guys, I'm testing these guys out and see which one works best for me. Appreciate the help!

17. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I second this. Extremely easy to configure and use.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was going to ask about Web Hosting for a New Site I was trying to build.
    I did a query search to find if it was already a topic.
    Seems like this is the most recent one .. . . .and WOW!! What a difference 7 years makes

I think that web building is mmmuuucccch easier now

I am looking at 3 things:
    1. Dependibility/Ease of use
    2. Security
    3. Cheap

WIX - maybe the easiest but it is the most expensive and their tech support is complete bullshit
    HostGator - not as expensive but not cheap either. Their ease of use + Security is higher than i budgeted (500$ ish)
    -- This is just a site and i am wondering if 500$ is about the bottom
    It will sell odd things like tshirts and buttons so the extra cost is to take credit cards and such

Any suggestions brave souls that want to venture in to this necro bump

Rocket River

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If you are going the eCommerce route, probably shopify or maybe bigcartel?

20. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

If you truly don't want to spend hours and hours tweaking and customizing, opt for something like Squarespace for a website or blog, or Shopify for an ecommerce site. It'll have a higher up-front cost, but you'll save more than that in the time it will take you to get up to speed on WordPress or the like.

I love WordPress, but like pretty much every other open source CMS, it isn't for a novice.

lpbman likes this.