1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone else hate All-Star weekend?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Feb 19, 2018.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

Going by that analogy. Do you work 7 days a week at your job? Putting in practice time and back to back games with the whole world watching you? I'm sure they would be inclined to agree with you if they worked M-F, had games end before 5pm, got to stay at home with their families every night and both weekend days.

2. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Get out the house and go do something ****

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I’m not going to go down this rabbit hole. There are plenty of jobs (even white collar) that are more demanding than an NBA player’s job.

No one gets 5 months a year off.

Ridiculous comparison.

Not sure why people have this weird need to defend athletes as if they’re these poor overworked souls.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The Pro Bowl occurs less than a month after the regular season ends. Waiting until after The Finals equals a 2-month hiatus for most players.

One week during the mid-season is nothing.

5. jayfree

jayfree Member

I'm with you. I just don't understand why people feel the need to bash an athlete and their schedule because they make more money

DudeWah and DreamShook like this.
  6. alethios

alethios Member

I enjoyed it...mildly. But if it weren't for the ASB, we wouldn't get to know how great Spencer Dinwiddie is.

Roomba and DreamShook like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm still failing to see the outrage over a week off. Is it really that big a deal to some people. It's just a week, lol.

Monday is over. Friday will be here before you know it.

#47 DreamShook, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  8. jayfree

jayfree Member

Only to people that have nothing else to do now, and are faced with actually talking with their wives.

DudeWah and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

The allstar weekend turnes to **** sometimes in the mid 2000s...

The dunk contest is mostly garbage.
    The allstar game is not fun with at least some defense...the just run up and down with predicatble dunks, three point shots...

Maybe Im just getting old

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I’m not bashing the athletes. They have nothing to do with the schedule.

I’m bashing NBA administration for already changing the schedule but still having a week long all-star break.

There are less games every week as is already. I don’t see the need for a long drawn out break anymore.

jayfree likes this.
  11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It’s not just the week off. There’s less basketball per week as is due to the new scheduling.

Then on top of that there’s still a week long break. Seems unnecessary.

12. MONON

MONON Member

I don't watch the ASG. If I want to watch pro BB players play a meaningless game, I'll watch the Globetrotters. They're more entertaining. Besides, with today's tv, I can watch any star play when he has his heart in it any time I want. If NBA players need time off mid season (I think they do), then schedule a 7-10 day mid season break.

It was nice for the Rockets to provide us with a winning streak just before the ASB. I taped several of them. When I start to go into withdrawal, I just watch 1 of them. So I'm good till Friday. Oh! that way my blood pressure stays lower.

DreamShook likes this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

@MONON gets it. I'm currently watching some old games but with opponent commentary.

MONON likes this.
  14. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

That would be a way better thread title....

15. delta69er

delta69er Member

I personally haven’t enjoyed an All Star Weekend since the Yao & Tmac days as a kid.

Now I just tell myself it’s a necessary evil so that our players can be rested to kick a$$ the rest of the season

16. justinh

justinh Member

Loved it when I was a kid. I'm 40.

hakeem94 and DudeWah like this.
  17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Shots fired at analytics ;)

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

of course i hate it but having said that i was able to find some use to it and make it personally beneficent
    one of the things is that i now easily find the time to watch old games, something that i found a lot tougher to do when new games are available

19. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

I loved it as a kid...But couldn't care less now. Also couldn't care less about MVP, although that is admittedly somewhat because of Westbrook winning last year. It made me realize how ridiculous the award is....remember when Karl Malone won it over Jordan?

DudeWah and hakeem94 like this.
  20. ballgame

ballgame Member

THIS.

It's not about All Star Weekend, it's about giving the players a break but at the same time, keeping fans mines on the NBA.