1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anybody understand Cricket?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SamFisher, Aug 14, 2005.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

just like that fat boy Inzy eh?

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

Is he the guy who calls for a runner when he gets tired?

3. R0ckets03

pretty much...its either a runner or a plate of chicken biryani to fire him up.

4. zeyn

zeyn Member

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

England, India, Pakistan... Australia, if they're drunk which, Smeg, you generally are. :p

Hell, I'd add Corfu. I remember seeing a cricket pitch between two ancient walls back in 1983. Does anyone remember how long ago England owned Corfu??

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wait till you see "Mangal Pandey: The Rising", you can't go five seconds without seeing an ad for it here these days, it is huge - I haven't seen it yet, but apparently not a lot of dance numbers if any...

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Screw that movie, go watch "DUS" or something. Actually some pretty good movies with nice stories, are Kisna, and Page 3.

8. R0ckets03

That's what I have heard.

Have you seen movies like:
    Company
    Dhoom
    Sarkar
    Black

Not the typical Indian movies.

9. R0ckets03

That might be the worst movie I have seen, EVER!

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

which one? dus or kisna or page 3?

anyhow all of em clown dhoom, where the fakeness of them popping wheelies is worse than the graphics in power rangers.

11. R0ckets03

Dus is definitely one of the worst movies ever made.

I started watching Kisna and could not stay awake for more then 30 min.

12. SamFisher

I disagree. After being laid up in my hotel room in Chennai with the big D-, and having nothing else in a language I could understand to watch (and with the next Ashes Test a few days away, not to derail the cricket thread), the worst movie ever made is.... Bad Boys 2. Just an absolute mess, and emblematic of pretty much everything that is wrong with the hollywood blockbuster.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

What did you visit in Chennai? Most tourists don't make it that far South in India. I visit Chennai every year or two for business. Nice place if you know what to do.

14. SamFisher

The toilet -- again, and again, and again! Honestly, I was too sick to see any of the city and just had to get out this morning

Am now down the road in Mamallapuram, which is pretty nice.

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Ahh, Mahabalipuram is very nice. Its even more of an interesting place to go now, as it was one of the hardest hit parts of the Indian subcontinent during the tsunami. In fact, one of my associates car was flipped over during the tsunami whilst he was driving on the morning of that disaster.

16. SamFisher

It's shocking but it seems to be doing fairly nicely, but then I didn't see any "before" pictures. Most of the beachfront places (that were made of concrete) survived - the restaurant I was in last night showed me the water marks, it was about 15 feet up the wall or so - they lost their porch but rebuilt it. There's a lot of empty resto's & hotel rooms but I think that's more due to the offseason than the tsunami.

17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I like the way how right after you get out of a swim in the beach, you got cheap good food and drinks right on the beach...

Oh, and sam if you can, visit hyderabad. definately an awesome place.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I have ammo yaar:

India v Pakistan, 6th ODI, Delhi
    A memorable series with memorable performances
    Osman Samiuddin
    April 17, 2005

Ask yourself: who should the Man of the Series be? Officially, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan's sharpened nous with both new and old ball - coupled with refreshingly wholehearted endeavour - clinched it, and why not? Fifteen wickets on insipid pitches, in this heat, and against this line-up is notable enough. But when you factor in the identity and circumstance of his successes, it is doubly so.

Virender Sehwag, who traumatised Pakistan unabashedly through the Tests and the first two ODIs, became near enough a bunny, falling four times to Naved(and he was dropped off him the very first ball of the series at Kochi). Sachin Tendulkar, still a victim to savour, was dismissed twice, and in all the games apart from Ahmedabad, Naved probed and scratched at India's top order.

There was no blinding pace, although he bowls at a fair clip; nor was there the puffed-chest run-up and the streaked, sweaty flailing locks - no clamour, no glamour.

There was only movement off the pitch as subtle as his changes of pace and length. And, above all, there was an understanding of how to succeed in this environment, an eagerness to explore beyond pace and bluster. There is little argument, surely?

But then what of Shahid Afridi, for his absurdly ballistic rediscovery of form in the second half of the series? At Kanpur he demolished on his own terms, but his manic beginnings at Ahmedabad and Delhi were significant for the immediate intent they conveyed. With the ball he suffered, but he fairly bristled on the field: lippy, pesky, chasing, harrying. Rarely, even when not performing, was he out of any contest.

Or how about Shoaib Malik, if only for the serenity he imparted to an unsettled top order? There should be neither surprise nor revelation at his consistency, for he has been doing it for a year. But there should be some recognition of his 75 at Jamshedpur which provided much of the thrust to Pakistan's 320; of his 65 at Ahmedabad which marshalled a momentous run-chase; of his surreptitious 41 at Kanpur which gave method to Afridi's madness; of his 72 at Delhi which ensured that Pakistan squeezed as much out of a crucial toss as possible. That he bowled again allowed not only his own confidence to return but brought vital balance to Pakistan's attack.

And just how pivotal was Inzamam's cool at Ahmedabad to nudging the series momentum, conclusively, towards Pakistan? Thereafter, he was always there; reassuring, unruffled, his batting and influence fatherly. Salman Butt, not always equating to runs, but generally providing firmness; Abdul Razzaq, steady like a grandfather's clock, with bat and ball; Yousuf Youhana, always lurking with a chirpy cameo or two; even Arshad Khan ended up with wickets.

The most heartening aspect then, was that Pakistan's revival was scripted by many. Here we saw, as tiresome as it might sound, Team Pakistan. Here we saw a team devoid of stars but puffed with communal ethos. Here we saw a team that, the odd Afridi salvo apart, finally began to comprehend the significance of rudimentary disciplines. Running between the wickets, such anathema to a nation of strokeplayers, peaked in the chase at Ahmedabad, but sustained itself after that.

Even the fielding, led by the boundless buzz of Younis Khan, was untypically sharp. Yousuf Youhana's direct hits in Delhi will linger - if only for raity value - as will the one which dismissed Tendulkar at Vishakapatnam. But etched brightest will be Younis's lightning one-motion pick-up and throw at short midwicket to catch Sehwag backing up too far at Ahmedabad, if only because, having tried the same thing a couple of overs before only to hit Sehwag's leg, he displayed a fielding sense usually absent in Pakistan sides.

Most vividly, all fell into place at Delhi. Afridi, inevitably, blustered again. Malik, Youhana and Inzamam prolonged it to its natural 300-plus finale and with Naved removing the main obstacle, the fielders and remaining bowlers, in unison, brought about a series win. Shoaib Malik was Man of the Match, but in truth, as with Naved's series prize, the whole team should have been given a collective award. Any series win in India is memorable enough. But to do it from 2-0 down, with these resources and on the shoulders of so many, will give it the sheen of legend.

http://content.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/144180.html

Yeah, Rocket03, Pakistan doesn't have anyone. They are a bunch of losers that came back an beat the weak Indians 4-2. Pakistan Zindabad.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If you read this article ^^^ Rocket03, you'll find a recipe for bourbon chicken in there.

20. R0ckets03

4-0 dumbass.