1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Anybody Agree with this guy....?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rimbaud, Jun 7, 2001.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cuttino Mobley, who averages 20 points a game EVERY night?

So, when did Mobley start playing more than one game a night? Doesn't he get tired?

------------------
    "You sanctimonious philistines, who scoff at me!"

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

can I start a rumor, can I, can I...

About the Rudy has a Cato taker,

Vanc wants Jason Richardson
    We have a 1st obligation to Vanc
    We need a Shandon replacement
    The #13 is turning out to be a tweener pick between quality and bust and is safer to trade

Cato and #13 to Vanc for Dickerson and their #27 and release from our 1st round obligation

I have my sources, or do I??

hehe...and to think I used to say speculation is the devil.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited June 07, 2001).]

3. haven

haven Member

Heypartner: I'd take that deal faster than you can say chalupa. Unfortunately, I think Vancouver'd be crazy to do it. I mean, a mediocre C and a potential bust for Dickerson, a borderline star SG?

Do you think Dickerson could be an effective 3?

------------------
    A few years back on the Senate floor...
    Phil Gramm: "If Democrats could, they'd tax the air we breathe."
    Ted Kennedy (jumping up): "By God, why didn't I think of that sooner!"

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

So HeyP, who hates speculation, is this your guess or have you heard something?

Can Dickerson get his nice shiny new contract yet? I imagine Cato + #13 would be fine, and would make sense, but only if Dickerson is re-signed and used in a 3-way trade.

I know you don't agree but our team is already not-incredibly-big. You don't care much for the small forward spot, but we might need someone with some height.

------------------

5. The Rocket Guy

Well, naturally I agree with myself, but I have to, I'm me.

The Grizz are actually offering Big Country around, and there are some who think we should try to get him, but I don't think you'll see Dickerson leaving Memphis - or wherever they end up (tax issues notwithstanding).

On the BskBALL message board we have been discussing Austin Croshere, and I'm not so sure he is the way to go. His numbers dropped off considerably this past season, leading us to wonder if he did the Cato thing. "OK, I got my contract, now it's vacation time." The Rockets have offered the Bulls Cato (who played for Tim Floyd in college) and a draft pick package in exchange for their top pick. If they take that deal, we get Battier. Croshere is a moot point. If not, we have to fill Shandon's roster spot. Who would y'all get?

The Rocket Guy
    http://www.TheRocketGuy.com

"You try to improve and do better. It's a journey, not just the destination."
    - Hakeem Olajuwon

------------------

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

The Rockets (if they make the trade) most likely won't get Battier because of the Hawks at 3. I think Curry is a lock with LAC, as they try to have the 2nd Shaq in town, and that would mean either Griffin or Brown. Rudy would take Griffin, but not Brown

If they do the trade and Brown is the one left. Look for them to pick Brown, and try to use him as some trade bait for Webber.

------------------

7. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Bring back Dickerson. He is the man. Seriously I would love to have MD back on the Rockets.

------------------
    "We need to FOCASS".... Akeem Olajuwon

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I always liked Dickerson, but I don't want him back. He wouldnt bring any additional competitive advantage to the Rockets as we know them today. The only benefit of such a deal would be getting rid of Cato.

------------------
    I hope, when they die, cartoon characters have to answer for their sins.

9. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

JayZ,

Why do you think he wouldn't help the Rockets? He is the anti-Shandon. He can create his own shot, handle the ball, and has a shot. He and Cuttino were best friends before he was traded, so chemistry would not be a problem. He isn't shorter than Shandon, so your not going to have a bigger disadvantage than you would with Shandon at the 3.

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat......

------------------

10. The Rocket Guy

The question is, when does he play? The only reason Shandon was our starting SF was because he had it in his contract that he would start (or at least it was understood). Cuttino was too good to keep on the bench, so he moved Shandon over to the 3. Dickerson is better than Shandon, no doubt, and a very talented player, but he is not a 3. He lacks the size, just as Shandon did, and he isn't the defender that Shandon is. One thing about Shandon, even when he couldn't buy a shot (or even take one) he was always a good defender.

I don't see how Dickerson would fit the team, other than to be traded elsewhere.

The Rocket Guy
    http://www.TheRocketGuy.com

"You try to improve and do better. It's a journey, not just the destination."
    - Hakeem Olajuwon

------------------

11. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

If this has been posted already, my apologies. I am not sure if I agree with all
    that he states in his article, so I wanted to get everyone's opinion. Thanks.

The Rockets Report
    By Bill "The Rocket Guy"
    Posted 06/06/01
    DRAFT SEASON IS UPON US . . .

As the Rockets approach the NBA draft (June 27th), they have several big issues weighing on their minds:

1. Do we re-sign Hakeem Olajuwon, or do we turn our back on the man who put this franchise on the map? The rumor is that Hakeem is asking for something in the neighborhood of $10 million a year. I can GUARANTEE you that if he gets that it won't be in Houston. I am the biggest fan ever of Hakeem Olajuwon, but I know when it's time to cut bait. Hakeem is worth a max of $5 million because of his health concerns. When he's healthy, he's worth $10 million. The problem is that he is not healthy for more than 65 games and then he has to spend a few games getting back into game shape. This will only get worse as Hakeem continues to age, so I would not want to risk that much cap space on Hakeem. I hope he doesn't ask us to make that choice. The franchise has to move forward, and spending that kind of money on Hakeem would be a step backwards.

2. We all know Shandon is gone. Rumor (again, because it's that time of year) has it that he is looking for something in the neighborhood of 6 years and $30 million. Shandon is great in stretches and mediocre in stretches. How could you justify paying him the same as Cuttino Mobley, who averages 20 points a game EVERY night? You can't. Shandon is gone. In addition, Shandon's inability to knock down the three pointer would hurt us with the new zone defense in effect next year. So what do we do with the 3?

We could move up in the draft and pick Shane Battier, the Duke senior. The top three picks are for sale and the Rockets have made noise about possibly trading all 3 of their picks to move up to the top 3. The question is, do you give up all 3 picks to get a SF when you have a gaping hole at center?

The word out of Houston is that Rudy T thinks he has a taker for Cato, but no one is saying who he might get in return. We would hope that he would get a center, but after the way Cato has performed in Houston, I'd take a ball boy and a cheerleader for him. OK, I'd settle for the cheerleader. If they don't get a center, they would presumably make an offer to Marc Jackson, who has expressed interest in playing in Houston. They have also worked out just about every big man on the draft list, and Brendan Haywood impressed the coaches immensely, as did Michael Bradley. If you give up everything for Battier, goodbye centers.

Enter Austin Croshere and the Indiana Pacers. A certain NBA owner was overheard on Media Day in Houston last season saying that the only reason Croshere didn't sign with the Rockets last year was that we didn't have an arena plan on the table. Well, construction is underway and the Pacers would like a piece of the cap room the Rockets will be spending this summer. I have heard a 3-way deal between the Pacers, Rockets, and Sacramento that would land Webber in Indy and Croshere here, among other things. I have also heard that the Pacers would trade Croshere to us outright. If we can land Croshere (and his three point proficiency) to our lineup, we can wave Shandon and Battier goodbye. He will fill the bill.

3. Try to win the Chris Webber sweepstakes? I don't see it. I have been saying for some time that we care better off re-signing Mo Taylor, who is ready and willing to sign a long-term deal in Houston. Mo won't give us the 3 month run around, and he has shown that he is willing to work on his game to meet the Rockets' PF needs. Give me Mo Taylor, Kenny Thomas, and Robert Horry, and I'm happy with the rotation at power forward. No need to spend the bulk of our cap space on Webber, who would really prefer to be in NY.

A successful offseason to The Rocket Guy: Re-sign Hakeem for around $5 million, let Shandon go and acquire Croshere to replace him, sign Marc Jackson and draft Brendan Haywood, send Cato out on the first bus to anywhere, re-sign Mo Taylor, Matt Bullard, and Moochie Norris. Carlos Rogers and/or Walt Williams are probably gone to make Horry and Croshere possible, though Horry may opt out of his Laker contract and sign for less in Houston. This would make our starting lineup: Hakeem, Mo, Croshere, Francis, and Mobley. That's one Hall of Famer, 2 future All-Stars, a solid PF and an up-and-coming SF. Then we have Kenny Thomas, Robert Horry, Moochie, Bullard, Langhi, Haywood, and Jackson on the bench. There you go, Rudy. We've got it all figured out! Making it happen, of course, is another story.

------------------
    "...Do you hear 'em? They're everywhere!!! AAAHHH!!!"

That's what the other teams will be saying after being shellshocked by Steve Francis and Co.

12. Toast

Toast Member

I'll take it!

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

13. Bingo

Bingo Member

So is it a fact that the top three picks are for sale? Caus' if so, I don't see why we don't make every effort to get in there. Personally I would do whatever it takes to get Eddy Curry, if Jordan, the Clips or ATL doesn't want him too bad. IMHO this kid has too much potential and fits too well on our team for us to just sit here and not do everything humanly possible to acquire him. I say offer whatever it takes short of Steve and Cat to get in that top three.

------------------