1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Documentary]The Problem With Apu

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by zeeshan2, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Don't forget all the Asian News Reporters.... one was named Name Toyota Suzuki Nissan Mitsubishi... highly offensive.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I have an Indian friend who was a huge Simpsons fan. He could quote entire scenes from several episodes. This topic came up recently and he said that he now thinks the Apu character should be shelved. It’s not that he doesn’t recognize the humor or even the times where they gave him genuine humanity. He doesn’t like that it’s a white actor doing it, probably based on white writers. It would be different if Indians or South Asians were involved in the development and voicing of the character. To him, Apu is essentially a case if “brown face”. He compared it to John Wayne as Ghengis Khan, Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, etc.

I felt the same as many people here. Funny character, just another walking stereotype like every other character, we shouldn’t take it so seriously. It’s not the Simpson’s that should be blamed, but rather the lack of diverse representation of South Asians in TV/film that is the problem. But I think my friend made a good point as well.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Bart is voiced by a woman. We should shelve him.

4. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

Have we asked what @ApuN thinks about this?

5. Buck Turgidson

If Bart came to Texas, what bathroom would he have to use?

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

This is kinda what my train of thought is...really they’re just mad it’s a white guy doing it instead of a brown guy. Does it become funny again if we pull a literal brown convenience store clerk out of his store and put him on tv?

Is it funny if it’s just Apu clerking in India with no accent?

Is it funny if Apu talked like an American?

Could you go to China, watch the simpsons in Chinese and be mad that Asians were voicing white people?

#86 Dankstronaut, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Not necessarily. Bart's voice actor can identify as a boy while at work. Check mate, SJWs.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Do people even watch the simpsons anymore?

I don’t think I missed a single episode until I was 18... but since 2008 I’ve maybe seen 4 episodes.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I hope your friend is equally outraged that Bart is voiced by a woman, Dr Hibbert is voiced by a white man (is that LITERAL black face???), etc.

I mean seriously, a "black face" reference about voice actors?

10. durvasa

I’m sure he would have a problem for any racial minority who is being stereotyped on the show, particularly without involvement of any person of that race on the show.

A Cliff Huxtable character on the show isn’t a black stereotype. It’s a reference to a specific character on another show. Not sure what he thinks about that, but I guess he wouldn’t consider it as big a deal.

And I don’t get the relevance of Bart being voiced by a woman. Misses the point entirely.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So if Apu was a play on an Indian character that had previously existed on tv it suddenly wouldn't matter that the character was voiced by a white person?

The relevance is you are saying your friend sees it as a form of "black face" for a white actor to voice Apu. A white actor also voices a black character and a woman voices a man. These are "types" that are being performed by someone else. Is that offensive?

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This is all just a big example of yellow privilege at work.

13. durvasa

If it was an Indian character that goes against the grain of racial stereotypes in the public consciousness, it would not be as big a deal. Obviously.

No. And a white boy with blonde hair being voiced by a white man with black hair wouldn’t be offensive either. Nor would it be offensive If it turns out a man is making Maggie’s sucking a pacifier noises.

The issue isn’t simply different “types”. It is the combination of making jokes that exploit a racial stereotype and also doing so without any apparent involvement of people of that race.

Look, I think Apu is hilarious. This really doesn’t bother me (I am Indian). Maybe I’d feel different if I was harassed as a kid with mocking Apu jokes, like some others have experienced. Can you really blame Indians who are bothered by this?

14. dmoneybangbang

People have a right to be offended but that doesn’t mean there was some sort of racial bias or that the Simpsons need to apologize.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is the most logical and reasonable thing I've heard in regards to this. I think Hank Azaria would completely agree with your friend. I think that they'll find a way to write him off at some point in the near future. It would be a shame for him to just disappear because Apu has been such a great character. Give him a proper sendoff.

durvasa likes this.
  16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I'm sure he would. After he made millions and millions of dollars voicing characters Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel, voice actors should only voice their own race. So the only real solution is as a Jew he is not allowed to voice any of his characters anymore, Dan Castellaneta should be fired for antisemitism and Hank can voice Krusty. Then he can donate all of his blood money.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There are a billion too many people in India but hey let's focus on cartoon brown face and prove we're shallow Americans to the core.

#thoughtsandprayers

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Pragmatism and data are so 25 years ago, man.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

India is filthy.

20. likestohypeguy

[​IMG]