1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Documentary] Frontline: Bush's War

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by UberDork, Apr 2, 2008.

1. UberDork

UberDork Member

I believe this was aired several days ago. It's a good documentary with lots of information on what went on behind the scenes. It's long though. You can view it online at the following link:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/bushswar/

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's ironic that a good chunk of our intel came from a tortured detainee who started making up stuff during his outsourced interrogation. I guess Jack Bauer wasn't there...

Did we really pay off 300 million to Al Sadr for him to agree on a ceasefire?

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What is this about 300 million?

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

thats sitting on my DVR right now. i cant wait to watch it. i heard it was good. without a doubt the worst president in this nations history

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

was this the one last night that followed the convoy company along? it was pretty good.

Particularly galling in that one was that these guys were busting their butts and risking their lives delivering supplies for private military contractors - gallng because the regular army guys were doing this for a fraction of the pay of the private contractors, who make up to 200k per year i think.

SOmething seemed really wrong about that - I think the gov should force the PMC's to be more self-sufficient - I mean that's what they're paid for, right?

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, that one was called Bad Voodoo's war. I saw it last night too.

I was also struck by the part where the soldiers are doing convoy protection for private contractors. I wish the episode had spent more time on what was in that convoy and who it was for.

It blew me away that some of those guys were on their 5th deployment to Iraq. That is crazy.

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Bush's war? Interesting characterization of a war that Congress authorized and many nations battled alongside the US... typical libpig spin...

8. Nice Rollin

i thought yall were proud of the war? And it's just an expression. Just like Hitlers war or Lincoln's war. It doesnt have to be technical....like The Nazi Party's war. It's a freakin expression. why get defensive? And no i didnt compare Bush to Hitler...im just suprised youve never heard that before...It was FDR's new deal. Not congress's New Deal, although congress had to approve.

edit: come to thikn of it, I cant believe someone would cry over the title....the paranoia is amazing

#8 Nice Rollin, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  9. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

If you guys get a chance, you should watch the frontline on Cheney. This should have been titled Cheney's War.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I loved that one. I have a new respect for Cheney. He is determined and knows how to get stuff done.

11. glynch

The war is sickening.

It is even more sickening to have it be so blatantly a profit center for these private contractors paid with our tax dollars.

Even more and more sickening to think of our volunteer army assisting at risk to their lives these contractors make more money.

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Wait, so you want the companies doing work in Iraq to not make any money? Or you want the government to perform the work at a much higher cost and lesser efficiency?

You libs just don't make any sense. Nothing but idle complaints. No solutions...

13. glynch

What is your proof that it is done at a higher efficiency? Soldiers aren't paid much. In this case it is just a way of fighting a war that the majority opposes.

Giving the contracts to the friends of the government officials just leads to corruption.

In addition I think that we want to give people as little of an economic vested interest in there being war as possible. . Similarly with private prisons, where you run into corporations lobbying for such laws as "three strikes and you're out" because it will increase their profits.

You don't want to give perverse economic incentives to various sectors of our society.

14. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I don't have a solution, but I'd be happy to hear yours.

However, one thing I do know is that if we hadn't started this war, we wouldn't be paying billions of dollars to private contractors to fix Iraq.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

What I was thinking.

I am not for the war from get go, but it is wrong to characterize it as a Bush's war. That's a disgrace to those who sacrificed for this war.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

None labelled Vietnam war a LBJ's war, or Korean war a McArthur's war. This war shouldnt be preceived as a Bush's war either. A lot of people support it at the begining.

17. glynch

This war had record opposition pre-war with the largest demonstrations world wide ever. This war had less than 50% in the United States support before Colon Powell and the others with their string of propaganda convinced a majority to support it.

I think it is fair to call it Bush's War. Of course it will also be called the Iraq War.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

So they say a 34 year old low level guy in DOJ gave Bush more power than he should have. :D There are areas where this documentary can go only that far, only I think this is one of them.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Pretty much everybody labeled LBJ responsible for Vietnam, in fact that's why he didn't run for reelection.

20. Nice Rollin

LBJ got killed for vietnam? are you kidding?

edit:SamFisher beat me to it