1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doc Rivers dismissive of KG douchebaggery

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yo, Feb 8, 2011.

1. yo

yo Contributing Member

I know he's your player and everything, but Doc is in complete denial. You don't even have to acknowledge the criticism, but to say he "does nothing wrong" is just silly.

And KG getting flak just because the C's are good? Yeah that's it. :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=6100883

CHARLOTTE -- With Spike Lee the latest to call out Kevin Garnett for his on-court behavior, joining a line that grows deeper each day with opposing coaches, players and a slew of national pundits, Celtics coach Doc Rivers jumped to the defense of his star forward before Monday's game against the Bobcats.

"That means he's on their mind, that's fine by me," Rivers said. "Kevin does nothing wrong, he plays the game the right way. I think all these people that call him out would take him on their team right now. Other than that, I could care less about that stuff."

Lee, a celebrity Knicks fan, told ESPNNewYork.com that Garnett cursed him out "for no reason" during Boston's visit to Madison Square Garden on Dec. 15 and suggested that Garnett "needs to calm the [expletive] down."

Suns coach Alvin Gentry went on the radio last week and suggested he's lost respect for Garnett due to his antics, which included tapping Channing Frye below the belt as he released a 3-pointer (Garnett was ejected in the ensuing dust-up). Lakers coach Phil Jackson jabbed Garnett about the low blow soon after.

Rivers said he was unaware of Gentry's comments, but also brushed them off.

"Actually, I didn't know Alvin said anything," Rivers said. "I'll just let Alvin talk. He seems to do that well."

Garnett picked up his team-leading eighth technical foul of the season Monday night for shoving Charlotte's Gerald Henderson less than a minute into the second half. Eduardo Najera told reporters that Garnett elbowed him in the face near the end of the game, but said he told Garnett "he hits like my grandma."

Earlier this season, the Pistons' Charlie Villanueva accused Garnett of calling him a "cancer patient" on the court, an accusation Garnett denied.

"My comment to Charlie Villanueva was in fact 'You are cancerous to your team and our league,' " Garnett said at the time. "I would never be insensitive to the brave struggle that cancer patients endure."

Rivers noted that the anger directed at Garnett could be traced to Boston's success.

"[The criticism] says that our team is pretty good," Rivers said. "When they were bad in Minnesota, you heard nothing. So that's all it is. Kevin's not going to change. Kevin's a terrific player, he plays the right way. I think all coaches would love their players to play like Kevin Garnett, to be like Kevin Garnett, and act like Kevin Garnett. I don't worry about it."

Earlier this season, in the wake of the Villanueva controversy, Garnett made no apologies for his style of play.

"I'm a passionate player," he said. "If you don't like the way I am ... I play this way the last 15, 16 years. I leave it on the court."

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

What a dbag. His antics with Barea was downright pathetic. I was pretty happy when the Mavs ended up winning that game :eek:

1 person likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Awesome stuff. Garnett is straight out of the NBA glory years...

He has stolen bits of Larry (Sack taps), Stockton (Forearm shivers) and Laimbeer (General evilness).

1 person likes this.
  4. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

GARNETT IS AWESOME! The league is getting softer and softer, so KG fighting is glorious. Seems like he is getting physical every game with someone on the opposing team. KG FOR PRESIDENT!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is true, but not in the way Rivers means it. His success has put him more in the spotlight, and that bigger spotlight has just revealed the douchebag he's always been. He's been doing this stuff since entering the league. He's gotten a little crankier in his old age, I think, but had some serious blowup moments that barely got any attention back in his days in the frozen tundra up north.

Remember the Rick Rickert incident? More people know about it now, but certainly wouldn't be surprised if there are few who pop into this thread who still don't. KG clocked his rookie teammate after Rickert scored on him - straight up punch, in practice, because a rookie scored on you?

KG is a moran!!

When the league was "hard" it wasn't KG's unprovoked nut-punches, teammate hitting, floor banging, fake eye staring act.

Rather it was people getting really physical down low, real hard fouls being taken, etc. I'm not saying there weren't cheap shots back in the day (see descriptions a few posts up)...BUT I am saying Garnett is actually lucky he plays in the era he does.

6. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

KG is a douche who plays hard and Rivers is defending his douche player.
    nothing new here.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

Rivers is spot on because KG did a lot of this same stuff in Minnesota yet people felt sorry for him.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I haven't gotten a chance to hear anything about that game.....what happened between KG and Barea?

9. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

KG's huffing and puffing, non stop expletive swearing, pad headbutting, on the floor crawling, post position elbow jabbing, cheap shot throwing, defensive monster the LEAGUE NEEDS RIGHT NOW!!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Uu7PqshJJQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I noted that above...but don't think it was just about people feeling sorry for him, but also about just not hearing about it, nationally. It's like the stories were little blurbs in their local paper and never picked up elsewhere. Perhaps because of the modernization of the internet it spreads quicker these days...I don't know?

My point though was that it wasn't that KG wasn't a d-bag before, just you didn't know it.

11. yo

yo Contributing Member

I actually don't remember him doing nearly the amount of crap he does today when he was in Minnesota. He earned the reputation of an intense player there, but I don't recall any perception of him being a d-bag. I actually used to really like him back in those days. Success can sour. What a shame.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It's highly irritating that he tends to pick fights with smaller guards. Plus, he even shoved a ref. I felt that he should have been ejected from the game.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2KclK6F_Am0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

To play as hard as he does every single night, for his entire career, is testament enough to his toughness. One of the toughest bastards to ever play the game. He would fit right in to any era of the NBA...

Jeff Van Gundy has always admired his mental toughness, and Jeff Van Gundy is about as tough as they come.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

I agree with what you said. Being in Boston he is on TV way more than he was in Minnesota so people notice it more. He acted like this in Minnesota but I will say he has gotten worse in Boston.

15. yo

yo Contributing Member

JVG also thinks KG is a douche apparently. I don't know if you heard the other night when Mark Jackson was trying to commend KG for not retaliating after a hard foul, then JVG became incredulous and went into this rant about how KG is not a "model of decorum". It was both hilarious and spot on.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Agreed about his play fitting in any era.

But if he pulled some of this **** back in the day he definitely would not be bailed out by guys holding each other back.

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Nice post -- I agree. I know a lot of people hate him for doing stuff like that.. I actually love it. It's a throwback to when the league was tough and everyone wasn't best friends like now days.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Gotta be the Barry Bonds of the NBA.

What a giant douche of a human being.

I'm all for toughness, but picking on white guys a foot shorter than you is not toughness, its a p***y move.

19. yo

yo Contributing Member

To everyone who thinks he's a "tough guy", tell me what you think after watching this.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FASClJTnJ4I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I see a jackass, getting under the skin of everyone that he looks at.

I don't know how you can question a guy's toughness that has played as many games as he has (More than Bird already) and has played 1000% in every single one of those. He also never, ever misses practice, he is always talking through defensive rotations(ala Ray Lewis), and he refuses to take anti-inflammatory drugs, which is CRAZY. The dude is a complete nutjob on the court, but his mental toughness and work ethic is legendary, and a complete throwback to the good old days of the NBA.

Lebron claims to be a villain, but let's be honest, Kevin Garnett is mucchhhhhhhhhhh better at that role. I for one, love that sheit.

I liked Laimbeer and Ainge too. I also like Dennis Rodman.

Karl Malone was just a b*stard though... :grin: